• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am thinking of buying a weekend truck. And thinking over the diff options of trucks/SUVs I like the square blazer style.

But anyone know where to find a auction for old military trucks? Guessing I could find old Guard also.

I would even be happy to buy the nonarmy body style and paint it green:rockwoot:

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Personally I'd stay away from the surplus stuff. Most of what I've seen has sat around most of it's life so they have low miles but the sitting is just as bad if not worse for them. Seals leak, hoses are rotten, and on an on... The kind of stuff that just nickles and dimes ya to death. I'd look for something on the road and paint it green.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I know I have to check any surplus stuff really well. Looks like they don't have any locally for sell and I would really need to inspect one before I buy. But for $150 I would be willing to take a chance. $150 is what they have 5 or 6 of them for in Mississippi just to far to drive.

My wife wanted me to buy a 2 1/2 ton truck years ago so she could drive as her daily driver. Guess you could but at 5-10 MPG not sure I could afford that.

I am thinking one of these.
    2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation
    That 6.2L diesel sounds really nice. I hear they can get 20 MPG and a diesel should be able to run on Bio diesel if the SHTF.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Th unimog does look cool and I would have the only one in town.

The blazer is like a huge brick going down the road. So even with the 350 motor I wouldn't get any where fast.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I know I have to check any surplus stuff really well. Looks like they don't have any locally for sell and I would really need to inspect one before I buy. But for $150 I would be willing to take a chance. $150 is what they have 5 or 6 of them for in Mississippi just to far to drive.

My wife wanted me to buy a 2 1/2 ton truck years ago so she could drive as her daily driver. Guess you could but at 5-10 MPG not sure I could afford that.

I am thinking one of these.
    2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation
    That 6.2L diesel sounds really nice. I hear they can get 20 MPG and a diesel should be able to run on Bio diesel if the SHTF.
    $150 is the starting bid, that is the starting bid on all govliquidation auctions. If those go for $150 they aren't worth fixing up, they will be parts only. You really need to be patient and watch the local auctions. There were about 12 of them that sold at Crane last year. Most were in pretty bad shape but there were a few nice ones.

Don't forget that on top of your sale price you get the 15% auction commission then sales tax tagged on top. So for something you bid $500 on, you will actually pay $615.25.

If you have any questions just ask or PM me. My dad and I have both bought quite a bit of stuff on govliquidation. From semi-trailers to gas-powered jack-hammers, we've bought it.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Your not going to get one of those bought for $150, I guarantee you that there are steel scrappers watching those online auctions and that blazer would be worth over $400 at the salvage yard

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I know the odds of getting one for $150 are slim but there are 3 in Louisiana for $300 ending today so still a good price

Be concern I have is as long as the diesel will turn over it should be worth fixing. Just wish I was closer so I. Oils see them.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I searced in ohio and there is tons of surplus stuff there. Knives, brass, rucksacks, boots, etc etc cool stuff kinda makes me want to open an army surplus store.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Is anyone aware of restrictions in driving therse vehicles or is it no problem?
    They won't have a title. If the title process is anything like that of semi-trailers then you have to go pick the item up. Then send a form in with $60 to get the title, then you should be able to legally drive this on the road.

What that means is that you can't legally drive it home from where you bought it. You will have to trailer it, tow it, or take your chances.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Personally I'd stay away from the surplus stuff. Most of what I've seen has sat around most of it's life so they have low miles but the sitting is just as bad if not worse for them. Seals leak, hoses are rotten, and on an on... The kind of stuff that just nickles and dimes ya to death. I'd look for something on the road and paint it green.

Swapping out hoses and lines are simple enough to do at home on the cheap (fairly anyway). Seals aren't overly difficult or even all that expensive if you have someone change them. Just because something is being driven (even part time) currently doesn't mean that it won't need hoses, lines, or seals.

I searced in ohio and there is tons of surplus stuff there. Knives, brass, rucksacks, boots, etc etc cool stuff kinda makes me want to open an army surplus store.

My brother and I made quite a few trips to Columbus, Oh., a trip to Great Lakes Naval, and had a pick up from Crane. Some of the stuff on Gov. Liquidations is in really nice shape, most is ok, and the rest is pretty much junk (unless they sort much better now). We haven't made any purchases in about 6 years. We made a good bit of profit (probably 8-10x the investment) but we never ran anything from a specific location. Swap meets, flea markets, and yard sales kept us busy. Best part of that is maybe $20 a table or $20 for advertising the yard sale. I've thought about getting back into it in the future but I wouldn't try to make a go of it without having another part of the business to help bring in customers.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    They won't have a title. If the title process is anything like that of semi-trailers then you have to go pick the item up. Then send a form in with $60 to get the title, then you should be able to legally drive this on the road.

What that means is that you can't legally drive it home from where you bought it. You will have to trailer it, tow it, or take your chances.

:yesway: Thanks

w2k0311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Wanamaker
    My old Plt Sgt. bought 3 DRMO Humvees and put the three junkers together to make 1 good one. He almost spent as much as he would have buying a "good" one.....
    And it still sucked.

He sold it.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have been thinking about this for a while and one thing keeps coming up.

I kinda have a lazy streak, I can see it working out something like I buy a fixer upper, jump in with both feet, get about 1 month into the rebuild and take a break. Break turns into months, wife yells at me, after a year or two I sell it.

Or I could just buy a SUV already done and ready to drive day one. Yeah it will cost more but I will have something to drive right away. This way I won't get the diesel I want but should be able to get a V8

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    IF you were to purchase one of those blazers you need to stock up on three things: Starters-figure one a year forever, Fuel water seperators-figure one every 3-6 months (depending on weather) and glow plug controllers, figure one every six weeks until you get a good one, then one year.
    You will also need to be proficient at removing and re-installing the heads. Once the glow plugs go bad and swell up there's only one way to get them out, take the heads off and break off the glow plug. And you ain't starting it in even cool weather without the glow plugs working.
    Other than that they are pretty reliable. I'm sure if you added a turbo it would even have some power.
    How do I know? I spent 8 1/2 years working on the darn things in addition to the stuff that was my mos.

ETA: one more thing, the engine electrical is EMP hardened.

Top Bottom