• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    I am thinking of doing a vacation, thru REI, to Yellowstone. Its a 4 day backpacking "Adventure". Anyone have any thoughts about this. I have purchase several products both from the online store and at one of the stores in Il., so I feel they are a quality organisation.
    I plan on going in late Aug (this gives me time to better my phisical abilities for the hikes starting at 7k feet and going to 9.2 k)
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    A couple of years ago I did something similar, except at Mt. Rainier in Washington. Keep in mind several things.

Think LIGHT. Everything that adds a pound is a pound too much. A 20 pound backpack feels like 40 pounds at altitude after several miles.

Good shoes!!!!!!!!!!! For hiking and general all around use I use a brand called Brooks out of Seattle, WA. For hiking they are the most comfortable, highest traction shoes around. I was wearing new shoes for our expedition and the wife's shoes were several month old. She lost traction a couple of times coming down and it was scary not being able to get good traction going down a steep grade.

Keep protection handy.....There are bears and mountain lions out there. No to mention some big a** snakes.

Plenty of water and filtration devices. You can't drink the water coming down of the mountains. There was a parasite (don't remember the name) and water had to be boiled for 10 minutes before consuming.

BUG PROTECTION!!!!! When we went in August, the ticks and mosquitoes were terrible. In fact I brought back a tick borne souvenir that I'll tell about some other time. This can not be overstated. Be prepared with DEET bug sprays and keep reapplying it.

I could write a book on this subject, in fact if I can sell a house I've had on the market for awhile we are going to do it again late summer. Have fun!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Everything i have purchased from REI had been spot one in the advertisment as to what i could expect for my money. I would most like expect exactly what the trip description says.

Have fun.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Just now posting on my backpacking trip with REI to Yellowstone. All i can say is the altitude killed me. I was unfortunate to have very experianced hikers in my group (one guy was an ultra marathoner doing 100 mile events and trail running) took them 4 hours to go 7 miles from 7k to 8k took me 5 hours and I was dead. had 55lb pack and of that 2 liter hydration and 2 1 liter bottles, all was gone 1/4 mile from camp. Got to camp and drank another liter straight water a liter of gatorade then another liter of water (ohh by the way had not "P'ed all day). layed down with a headache ( I never get headaches) then cramped up both thighs and calves for about 15 mins. needless to say not a great start. The 2 guides were very very concerned and helpfull.
    We agreed that I should return to a lower elevation and one of the guides even took my backpack for me. At about 7500 feet my headache was gone and was able to funtion again but next time I'll go a week earlier to get ready for the altitude. Still had a great time (after I got to a better elevation). I would highly recomend REI for a vacation if you want some one to handle all of the arangements. But be prepared if you have never done any kind of height. I plan on next year a kayaking trip in the park, but only at 6k :)

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    My first backpacking trip was up Mt. Rainer and made it to 11,200.Headache from heck.Went back 3 times and stood on top twice.The altitude got easier each time.If you get the chance to go to seattle check out rei mother store it's full of history!

Top Bottom