• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    what gets me is how people live like that. how can you get up each morning and then not be able to fit through a doorway and still think that your life is ok? I've seen people that are like that and see nothing wrong with their lives. there was one guy in Mexico that I remember reading about almost a year ago that had to be taken to the funeral home on a flat-bed tow truck.

Its a self control issue. In the interests of full disclose I was never unable to fit thru a doorway big, but I was around 360 big. It was my experience that unless something majorly jolts you into changing your lifestyle, you will continue to keep going as you were going and "start eating healthy and exercising tomorrow" In my case that was the onset of horrific acid reflux that had me laying awake at night thinking I was dying of a heart attack that got me to change my lifestyle then and there. I remember laying in bed saying "Ok God. You let me live thru this and I will turn this around. Ill start eating right, excersinging regularly, whatever it takes" 2 years later and im down 100 pounds and still going, so yeah.

People get stuck in their ways. When eating 20k calories is the norm, your going to keep doing it, and trying to stop is horrifically difficult and quite honestly painful. Food becomes an addiction at that point. That said do I think EMTs should have to bring extra equipment and the souped ambulances for people? God no. If we choose to get that large we do it knowingly (for the most part. There are obvious medical exceptions as has been posted in this thread already), and doing something knowingly and expecting others to take care of it is NOT what this country should be about. So by all means eat that extra cheeseburger, its your right. But don't expect the paramedics to bring a forklift with them on a call out. That said I expect to get vegan blood should I ever require a transfusion!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    For every soda you drink drink a bottle of water in its place and watch the pounds fall off.

That assumes two things: the pop is not diet and the pop was the only part of the individual's diet that contributed to the weight. Neither of which are universally true for pop drinkers.

<-------Diet Coke addict

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    That assumes two things: the pop is not diet and the pop was the only part of the individual's diet that contributed to the weight. Neither of which are universally true for pop drinkers.

<-------Diet Coke addict

The amount of sodium could be causing quite a bit of water retention. There have been several studies about diet sodas and artificial sweeteners tricking the body into craving more sweet foods (whether you believe the studies or not, they are out there).

There are MANY people out there that the biggest calorie item is their pop addiction. I've worked with 10 people at 2 jobs that would easily go through a 2 liter of Mountain Dew while at work and said that they drank another one at home. Going through 2 of them in a day is over 1800 calories just from that.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Obesity = more money in taxes to medically care for, even insurance can be more expensive. We have to have specialty equipment in the ED to care for them, some equipment can't even be utilized due to weight restrictions. The average cost of a hospital stay for the obese is $15,000 more.
    ya we should just lock them up and throw away the key, because they cost us to much money

and i dont know if something is wrong with me but i stopped drinking pop and now drink flavored no calorie water, and havent really noticed any weight loss, probably been 5 months.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    what about the blind couple at my school? they can't find nutrition info in Braille... they can't exactly go jogging either... how do they even know how many calories they consume? short of having a friend or a nurse live with them and prepare their meals, they have no way of knowing what they are eating or even regulating what they eat.

both of them are pretty overweight, for the record.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I'm curious though, what was your mothers A1C when she was diagnosed? The reason i ask is if she was a type 1 with her pancreas producing little to no insulin it would have been through the roof to the point she would have been spilling a high amount of ketones and probably would have been in a coma or dead if she went 5yrs with no insulin. I think it's more likely her weight might have contributed to her going from a type 2 to a type 1.

:patriot:

My mistake. I was talking to my sister today..... and she corrected me. My Dad (who took insulin shots daily) was Type 1.... my Mom was a Type 2 diabetic.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    what about the blind couple at my school? they can't find nutrition info in Braille... they can't exactly go jogging either... how do they even know how many calories they consume? short of having a friend or a nurse live with them and prepare their meals, they have no way of knowing what they are eating or even regulating what they eat.

both of them are pretty overweight, for the record.

Yeah, I get candy and salad mixed up all the time if I eat with my eyes closed.

I also don't hear well, so when people say that gravy, mashed taters, salad dressing, etc contains a lot of calories, it's just in one ear and out the other.

There really is no way for me to avoid eating a **** ton of calories every day if I don't have my eyes open to read printed type that may or may not be available at every meal.

Also, jogging is THE ONLY form of exercise I know about. So... yeah...

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Health issues aside, it's been my experience that people just want to make excuses so they feel better about NOT working out or dieting. People have this false understanding that dieting means you eat very little and only food like salad, but they don't realize diet is what you can eat, when you eat it, and how much you eat.

My sister has an overactive thyroid and has been overweight since she was a teenager, HOWEVER she keeps it under control by eating good food, no processed crap, doesn't drink pop, and doesn't drink milk. She is still overweight, but she can function in every aspect of her life without assistance.

Japan got it right when they put a limit on waist size.. If you're considered obese there, you pay higher taxes because they saw the relation between being obese and future health problems. Our country is insanely misinformed and miseducated but people just don't care (Not all of us).

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood

<-------Diet Coke addict

You really think that diet soda is better for you than regular soda? According to some, diet could in fact be worse. Just look up aspartame the chemical that is in diet and many regular sodas. Most people I know who drink soda on a regular basis don't drink any water at all.

My point is that you can cut the soda out completely and you have already made a big leap to starting to eat healthy.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Health issues aside, it's been my experience that people just want to make excuses so they feel better about NOT working out or dieting. People have this false understanding that dieting means you eat very little and only food like salad, but they don't realize diet is what you can eat, when you eat it, and how much you eat.

My sister has an overactive thyroid and has been overweight since she was a teenager, HOWEVER she keeps it under control by eating good food, no processed crap, doesn't drink pop, and doesn't drink milk. She is still overweight, but she can function in every aspect of her life without assistance.

Japan got it right when they put a limit on waist size.. If you're considered obese there, you pay higher taxes because they saw the relation between being obese and future health problems. Our country is insanely misinformed and miseducated but people just don't care (Not all of us).

Or just end social health programs.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Guys let me tell ya, the whole weight issue is Darwinism at work. I'm a fat guy, and i'm trying to change that, if i can loose 25 more pounds, i'll go from being obese to just overweight. :rockwoot:

If I can come to this realization as someone who is currently obese then everyone else can to. Then again, sometimes Darwin just has to work his magic over time.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Let me tell ya...... most all my life, since I was a H.S. football player (many, many moons ago), at 6'1".... I always weighed right at 185-190 lbs. I've pretty much always worked a 'physical' type job.... from being a mover w/ United Van Lines as a young man..... to traveling Maintenance Tech (climbing ladders, crawling under sinks, moving & installing water heaters, etc), and in and out of my car or truck, about 20 times a day.

A few years back, I married a gal from Indy who grew up in a family accustomed to 'down-home cooking' (they're originally from Kentucky... and let me tell you, KFC is just a name. Once you've had real Kentucky fried chicken, KFC is a joke).

Anyway, my wife is the best cook I ever met. And since we got together & then married.... I've gained 40 lbs, easy (maybe a tad more). Now, I need to lose thirty pounds! And it ain't gonna' be easy... but I'm determined to do it, this summer.

Top Bottom