• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    So new laptop right ? External backup from previous computers just chocked full of my stuff and I need a concise narrative how to easily assign the permissions en mass or by general file groups so I can again enjoy my collections of wisdom, depravity, dark arts spells, potion recipes etc.

Windows 10

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Really depends how you backed it up. Did you use the Windows Migration Tool or something to backup a previous computer's profile?

Or did you pick-and-choose what files to backup to the external drive, and simply copy them over?

If the latter, you should be able to "take ownership" of the backed-up files (Right-click, Properties, Security, Advanced)... Change Owner, and select the new local account on the new laptop.

After this completes, you may still need to go to the Security tab and assign yourself with full access to the files.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Really depends how you backed it up. Did you use the Windows Migration Tool or something to backup a previous computer's profile?

Or did you pick-and-choose what files to backup to the external drive, and simply copy them over?

If the latter, you should be able to "take ownership" of the backed-up files (Right-click, Properties, Security, Advanced)... Change Owner, and select the new local account on the new laptop.

After this completes, you may still need to go to the Security tab and assign yourself with full access to the files.

Western Digital external hard drive and their application was originally used.

Top Bottom