• To secure or not secure?

• Total voters

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Hey gang, thought I'd get your opinion as I'm second guessing myself.
    I have an older pop up camper paid $750. So, we're not talking big bucks, but still enough. I have property up in Michigan. I decided to leave my camper up there year around. There are about 4-6 houses within 2 miles. Not completely remote yet I'm tucked back in the woods a bit. My nearest neighbor is about 200 yards away. They're an older couple and seem nice enough. Now that you have the background let me ask my question.
    Should I work hard to secure the popup? I've left nothing of real value in the camper. It's chained to the nearest large tree around the bumper. Hitch has a lock on it, but if someone digs around in the storage container located on the tongue they'll likely find the crank handle. The storage containers not locked. various poles for the awning a yard carpet etc. The lid of roof of the camper is latched but not locked.
    I'm of two minds. Secure it to the max. Or, leave it kind of secured, but easy enough to open if someone is so inclined. That way they won't damage the camper trying hard to get in.
    I suppose they could simply damage it for the sake of damage, but there's not much I can do about that.
    What do you all think? Should I make a return trip back up this fall to secure down or just wait till next spring and see how it made it from the two legged critters?

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Lock up the essentials, and make a conscience decision, if you leave something unlocked or unsecured, you could live without it, if someone steals it.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Talk to the neighbors and ask if they would mind looking in on it once in awhile.
    Other than that you have done about all you can do.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    if somebody wants to take it they will. the only way to "make safe" is to be there 24/7

just make it not worth the effort. if its loaded with "great stuff" make it so that only someone with suitable skills and time can access it. I have seen bank vaults opened given time and expertise.

Just my thoughts

Last edited:

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd suggest a combination of have the neighbors look in on it from time to time, and hide the crank. I personally wouldn't take it with me, on the off chance that I'd either forget it or not be able to go home to get it before having to head up there for whatever reason. The easiest way that comes to mind is a couple of those magnetic fast holsters screwed to the underside of the camper in a not easily seen spot. That would cost about $60, or, you could maybe just rig something up with some velcro and rivets or screws, or even zipties. Just thinking out loud here :)

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I would lock it up. But I don't put it past some teens or younger to break stuff just to be cool. Asking the neighbors to check in on the camper is a good idea also.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If they want in or want to damage it , they will! Hope for the best, stay on good terms with the neighbors, and maybe consider a cheap trail-cam if you want to see who is nosing around.

454puttna

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    martinsville
    put it on blocks, take tires off. If they want it let them buy tires. A side note, put an opened bag of charcoal or two or three plates with charcoal (not match lite!!!) this will keep it fresh in there. Learned this in the military when belongings were on the slow boat across the pacific. Works great for inside anything during shipping/storage, unless it catches on fire. Moth balls sprinkled underneath help deter some pests but don't put them inside, causes a bad film of mildew when mixed with moisture.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    put it on blocks, take tires off. If they want it let them buy tires. A side note, put an opened bag of charcoal or two or three plates with charcoal (not match lite!!!) this will keep it fresh in there. Learned this in the military when belongings were on the slow boat across the pacific. Works great for inside anything during shipping/storage, unless it catches on fire. Moth balls sprinkled underneath help deter some pests but don't put them inside, causes a bad film of mildew when mixed with moisture.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^
    Tires will rot if left just sitting out in the weather, so taking the wheels home will help them last longer. Otherwise, leave nothing of value in it, and hope someone doesn't tear it up just for grins and giggles. :twocents:

JamesZX1100

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    NE INDY
    If someone wants it, they will take it regarless. Hopefully you don't have any problems with the way you have it secured right now. I agree with not keeping it secured to the max because then it will just make a tresspasser pretty PO-ed!!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    It's a popup. If you're not taking regular care of it, it will mildew and the canvas will rip.

I'm more concerned about that than vandals or robbers.

Josh

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    It sounds like your concerned, so why not pull it home? Why not ask the neighbors if they have a spot you could park it for the winter? This wouldn't be a problem if Eve would have kept her dang hands off the apples!

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    1st talk to your neighbors. Get to know them, and just ask them to keep an eye out. Next, I leave my pop up camper out all year as long as it is closed up it should be fine. You may want to move it a little when you get there, just to rotate the tires. Finally, adam was also tempted and ate the apple. Lol!

Top Bottom