Thoughts on 7.62x54r Romanian 149gr vs Russian 147gr?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I'm getting ready to order a couple spam cans from AIM and wondered if anyone had any experience with the two different types they offer. The price is the same when you order 2 or more cans, but for some reason the shipping is a couple dollars more on the Romanian. If I'm reading 7.62x54r.net correctly, 147gr is spec for light ball and I could not find anything on there about Romanian or 149gr ammo.

Anyone have any experience or insights with either of these?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    everything Ive seen on the romy 54r says its good to go.

the key here is what your rifle likes to eat.

that being said, I would buy which ever was cheaper :)

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I appreciate the info on the Romanian, I've not found much on it. At $70+ a pop it becomes expensive finding out which round a rifle prefers. The only price difference will be on shipping. The Romanian only adds a couple bucks of shipping to my entire order, so it's really not enough to make a difference. I'd rather have the one with a better track record.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I appreciate the info on the Romanian, I've not found much on it. At $70+ a pop it becomes expensive finding out which round a rifle prefers. The only price difference will be on shipping. The Romanian only adds a couple bucks of shipping to my entire order, so it's really not enough to make a difference. I'd rather have the one with a better track record.

2 options:

1) buy tins of a few different kinds, go to the range and see what your rifle likes to eat. sell off what you dont want. you will have NO problem selling the ammo on Ingo as long as you keep the price/round similar to what you paid for it.

2) buy 20 rnd boxes of each, and do the same, then buy bulk of what your rifle likes.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And don't forget that whatever you end up with, it's corrosive.

If you can spray the action & barrel down with water while at the range, you'll have a head start on cleaning. Pulling the bolt will help you squirt both it and the chamber.

Then IMMEDIATELY upon returning home, really flush that sucker with water to rinse the corrosive salts. If you have access to an air compressor, then you can blow the water out before IT causes problems.

When dry, re-lube, re-assemble, and you're good to go!

-J-

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Water -> air -> WD40 -> CLP/rust preventative/what ever.

After all, WD stands for 'water dispersant', it will displace the water and provide short term protection, then once the water dries, use your standard protection.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Yup, I'm quite familiar with corrosive ammo. Thanks for looking out though.

Finances are a bit tight to pick up two extra cans just to find out which one it prefers.

I just called AIM. They say the rounds are pretty equal. I checked to see if they would give a multiple can discount if the cans didn't match (I didn't expect them to, but it never hurts to ask) and they wouldn't.

I will be ordering this Friday if things go right and am open to any input on these two rounds.

Top Bottom