Thoughts on Aguila 12 gauge mini-shells?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    There is a small gun show in Terre Haute this weekend, and one table was selling Aguila 12 gauge mini-shells in buckshot, 7.5 birdshot, and slugs.

what do you guys think about these for HD use?? Obviously the birdshot would be useless, but the slugs or buckshot could be interesting.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Most pump or semi-auto shotguns are designed to shoot either 2 3/4" or 3" or 3 1/2" shells, I don't know of any that are designed to shoot 1 3/4" shells.

I guess they would be ok to use in a single shot or double barrel, but I am not sure I'd trust them to feed & eject reliably (at least not in a life or death emergency situation) in a pump or semi-auto though.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My former 870 fed and cycled the 2" Aguila buckshot very nicely.

And let me tell you, those 2" shells + recoil reducing stock = nice.

And it was 8+1 capacity with the extended mag tube.

Like any other "new" ammo, it depends on your shotgun if it'll feed/eject.

1.jpg

-J-

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    These little rounds are fun for plinking or if you have an old shotgun that was designed to shoot these little rounds that's fine too. But if your life is on the line wouldn't you want to have the best possible ammo out there?

Buy some and try it out.

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    Aguila Slugs

I had a few rounds given to me to try....I don't think I'll use them for anything but plinking.
    I have two left, looked at them closely and found a big difference between the two....slugs are seated to 2 different depths & one is seated very crooked!
    Fun to play with, though!

dudish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    i have been wanting to try these things out. I like the idea of an extra round or two. i enjoy their sub sonic stuff for 22s and never had a problem with reliability for that.

arma73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Morgan Co.
    I have a standard unmodified 870 and feeding is very iffy never could get them to work, there are mods out there that make them 100% but considering limited availabilty and gun mods use the Federal reduced recoil SD buck and keep on shucking

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well I bought some. I tried them today and they dont feed worth a darn. They are so short they just dont feed right.

But, man, they are fun to shoot! Very little recoil, but they punch through 2x6s and steel 55 gallon drums just fine ;)

But, with the feeding issues, they aren't good enough for HD use. I did end up loading 1 in my HD shotgun. It would be the very last round in the shoutgun. With my standard HD loads, there was not enough room for a 2-3/4" shell, but there was plenty of room to add just one of these small rounds. I figured if I ever got to the point I needed just one more shot.........

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    According to Alliance Armament the AMP-10 upper using the mini-shells will have a 20 round drum. It should be an interesting use for these little guys.

townmarshal

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    indy
    Aguila mini shells

Aguila actually made a pump shotgun for these shells roughly 10 years ago. I use them in a side by side external hammer shotgun and wouldn't hesitate to use for HD.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I heard they won't work in mossy 500s but i could be wrong.

Yes...you could be...

It's all firearm specific.

Due to design, you may find a make/model in which many won't feed the short shells, but to write off that entire make/model without testing a specific firearm wouldn't be a very logical thing to do.

If you're interested in these shells... Buy a box for yourself and try them. If they don't work; then they don't work.

If they do work in your shotgun, fantastic.

-J-

Top Bottom