Three gun training ( six if you stretch the thought)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DIM TIM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Stuck in Ohio
    Three gun training is a good, solid, and practicle training dicipline that should be considered for practice by everyone that shoots. I recently came across a thought on the three gun training that I had not considered.

Basic three: Main Battle Rifle...Semi-auto or pump shotgun...Primary handgun.

(The stretch): Main battle rifle (and a .22 rifle)...Semi-auto or pump shotgun (and a single shot, double barrel, etc,. shotgun) ...Primary handgun (and a .22 pistol)

BASIC THREE : The reasoning for these extra weapons is pretty strait forward. The main battle rifle is the knockout punch for an armed gunman. The shotgun is for close quarter riot control. The handgun is for fighting your way back to your rifle and personal defense.
    (THE STRETCH) : The .22 rifle is for hunting small game, because the Main battle rifle would be too much. The single shot, double barrel, etc, shotgun is for hunting also, although with the right semi-auto or pump and the correct choke tubes,the primary shotgun could work for this as well, thus can be an either/or, or both depending on the users wants. The .22 pistol for practice and small game hunting as well.

I like the idea of the extra pieces for the three gun training. It gives you familiarity with all of the different guns, and a few extra weapons passed out to a few extra shooters might make the difference in a survival situation.
    In the case of .22's, there is the practice factor for sure. Sure is a lot cheaper to get bricks of .22 ammo to practice with, and the hunting factor comes into real strong play when older children, teens, and small statured people must be considered for firearms training and handling. I'd feel much better about giving my son a .22 rifle for hunting squirrels and rabbits, than a .308, 30-30 or a 30-06, although the latter would come in more handy for larger game. Still, a well placed shot from a .22 can still take down a deer but squirrels and rabbits are a bit more practical.

I'm working towards this train of thought, and hope to eventually equip all of my family with at least the main three as soon as is possible. And I still like the thought of the extra three for back-up's and pass out weapons for any possible SHTF situation.;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom