• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Depends on your intended purpose. It appears to be a little heavy and thick for a bushcrafting knife. That said I don't trust much of anything from Gerber anymore.

I wish I could say some serious outdoor adventures, but the reality at the moment is day hiking around Ft Ben trails and Morgan-Monroe, a few camping trips a year, and weekend fieldcraft practice in my wooded suburban lot (wood prep and fire starting for the firepit). Other than that it would sit in a B.O.B. I have a Mora, and a few different folders, a SOG machete and fasthawk, but wanted to get a decent quality, general purpose, fixed blade.

The #1 contendor I'm looking at is the ESEE 4, but just looking around at the moment.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    That's not a bad looking blade for the money, especially being full tang. Kind of looks like a scaled down LMF. Personally though, think you would be better off with a carbon steel blade for the task you listed. If you're wanting something a bit more proven, I'd take a look at the Becker BK2. In my opinion (and many others), it's one of the best bang for buck fixed blades out there, and it's in that same price range. Ontario is another budget minded lineup you might check out, and Condor is a real bargain.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I would rather buy a L.W Seeker with D2 steel and it is only $45
    aktdesc_789013280_00.jpg

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just about what everybody has said so far. But sometimes it just boils down to chemistry - the kind that makes you skip a breath. As you said, though, 420 steel. I do not think I'm a steel snob, so I'll just say, that is a right smart amount of money for 420 anything. I've learned my lesson . . a few times. I'll start paying attention when I see 440C, AUS 8 and so on. After 60 years of playing with knives I have my own idea of what I'm willing to pay for something. Good luck on picking one out.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've seen some pretty good reviews of the Strongarm and you can find it for 50 bucks, I think on Amazon, in black. I haven't seen the Coyote color for that price, though. I like the options the sheath gives you, too. Also, Gerber is starting to make more knives in Portland, and they appear to be better than what they've typically been making, according to reviews I've seen.

I just ordered a Ghostrike, so it will be interesting to see if it is a decent knife. I'll probably pick up a Strongarm soon, too.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    ESEE 4-----Best bang for your buck and you can buy it from IMGO'S own Knife Lady (best price anywhere and service with a smile).

Top Bottom