• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    It appears 2 neighbors of mine are getting new roofs from the last round of storms.

Should I be calling the insurance company or a roofing company?

There is a spot where it looks like there is a bubble under the roof as the shingles push up.

Any suggestions? This is a new one for me.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    A reputable roofer will work with your insurance company. We have been in our current house for 25 years. We have had 3 roofs replaced due to storms. Used the same roofer each time.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    My experience 15 years ago after a hailstorm, everybody got a new roof except my neighbor who was with state farm.
    I interviewed roofers while I was waiting for an ins adj to come out. The results from the roofers was telling, everything from "tell us what your ins co will pay and we'll do it for that" to "here's how much it'll be and we'll put on new gutters for free." I chose the latter since it was about half of the what the ins co would pay. And we went to High Point, NC to spend the rest on new LR furniture. There was an issue with the ins co's benefit due to me waiting more than 6 months to file a claim. I argued with them and mentioned a lawsuit. Maybe why the estimate was so high,

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I keep thinking one of these storms will be THE storm. Built the house in 2004. Other than a tree hitting one corner of the garage and poking holes in the roof there, we haven't had an issue yet, even with all the wind we see constantly.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    It appears 2 neighbors of mine are getting new roofs from the last round of storms.

Should I be calling the insurance company or a roofing company?

There is a spot where it looks like there is a bubble under the roof as the shingles push up.

Any suggestions? This is a new one for me.
    Call your contractor first! Insurance is ok, but no need in getting a claim if the roof has no damage. If you have not found someone you trust, let me know. I will look at it for you. Sorry I didn't see this earlier..... we have been busy with roofs and trees on houses, lol.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My experience 15 years ago after a hailstorm, everybody got a new roof except my neighbor who was with state farm.
    I interviewed roofers while I was waiting for an ins adj to come out. The results from the roofers was telling, everything from "tell us what your ins co will pay and we'll do it for that" to "here's how much it'll be and we'll put on new gutters for free." I chose the latter since it was about half of the what the ins co would pay. And we went to High Point, NC to spend the rest on new LR furniture. There was an issue with the ins co's benefit due to me waiting more than 6 months to file a claim. I argued with them and mentioned a lawsuit. Maybe why the estimate was so high,
    You would probably not get that lucky today, unless you have small damage or own your home. Almost all insurance jobs now withhold depreciation......if claim is in excess of $10,000. That is something that is hard for customers to understand. Let's say insurance summary pays $20,000 for damages and they withhold $8,000 in depreciation. That means they send you a check for $12,000 minus your deductible. When job is completed and you submit your final invoice, they release the $8,000 depreciation.

Now let's say you try getting the "cheapest price" and someone does it for $15,000.....when you send in their invoice for $15,000......the insurance will re-adjust your claim down to actual cost. Now instead of getting $20K, you will get $15K.....minus deductible. It can cost you thousands of dollars now days. Only way around this is if you find a contractor that is willing to risk going to jail for insurance fraud so you can make money, since they would have to bill the insurance the full amount, even though they are charging less.

They started doing this because people would get insurance settlements, not do the work and then mortgage holder is getting screwed if they repo home and it has $20K in repairs that need done. This came about in 2006-2008, when everyone was giving up their homes. Whether we like it or not, until we pay for the home.........the mortgage company is who owns it. A lot of times now days insurance check will be made out to homeowner and mortgage holder.........who must sign off on check as well. Some mortgage companies inspect before releasing final check.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I think it was 2019, I still lived in Westville, Illinois and the area was hit with baseball size hail. I don't think there was a roof in town that was not damaged. We owned the home so no mortgage company to complicate things. Had the insurance adjuster come and access damage, no problem because of the damage everywhere they did not nit-pick.
    I had a 1400 sq ft home with two 24'x24' garages and a sun room on the back of the house. The insurance company cut a check for the depreciated amount and said they would send another check when it was repaired. I contracted the sun room damage to the people that built it. The three roofs I did myself(not my first time) and when I was done I had to take pictures and send in and they cut the check for the remainder. Lot of work but I made a good amount of money IIRC around $14,000. Jim.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You would probably not get that lucky today, unless you have small damage or own your home. Almost all insurance jobs now withhold depreciation......if claim is in excess of $10,000. That is something that is hard for customers to understand. Let's say insurance summary pays $20,000 for damages and they withhold $8,000 in depreciation. That means they send you a check for $12,000 minus your deductible. When job is completed and you submit your final invoice, they release the $8,000 depreciation.

Now let's say you try getting the "cheapest price" and someone does it for $15,000.....when you send in their invoice for $15,000......the insurance will re-adjust your claim down to actual cost. Now instead of getting $20K, you will get $15K.....minus deductible. It can cost you thousands of dollars now days. Only way around this is if you find a contractor that is willing to risk going to jail for insurance fraud so you can make money, since they would have to bill the insurance the full amount, even though they are charging less.

They started doing this because people would get insurance settlements, not do the work and then mortgage holder is getting screwed if they repo home and it has $20K in repairs that need done. This came about in 2006-2008, when everyone was giving up their homes. Whether we like it or not, until we pay for the home.........the mortgage company is who owns it. A lot of times now days insurance check will be made out to homeowner and mortgage holder.........who must sign off on check as well. Some mortgage companies inspect before releasing final check.
    This is exactly how it went with us.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I put a new roof on this house in 2012. Complete tear off, heavy felt, top shelf shingles, all new top grade vents and vent pipe, and valley flashings. If there was any sign of water damage on the plywood, I would gladly pay for that replacement also. I paid a bunch extra, but I think the best is always cheaper in the long run.

Every time a storm comes through I get people soliciting for contacting my insurance and changing my roof. There is nothing wrong with mine, but they don't care. I just wonder if eventually fraud will make insurance harder to get and more expensive.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just had CHCRandy come out and check my roof. He said it's got some age on it, but it's in good shape and should last another 8 - 10 years. An honest man, very friendly, and guess who I'm going to call if I need any roof or gutter work. Randy all the way!

Last edited:

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Same when our house was hit with the tornado in 2001. Insurance check was wrote to me and the bank (mortgage holder). (over 30k) I did the work myself. When I bought matierals, the bank slid me the money for what I bought. When I completed the work, the bank came out and inspected it. Then they bank gave me the rest of the money.

Top Bottom