• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have decided to update my trigger from the OEM to something that may help me shoot it a little better. I was set on buying the Apex Forward Set package, because you know, that is what EVERYONE says you have to get!

But then I ran across some information on the Timney Alpha trigger system. It appeals to me because of the trigger design. I'm not a big fan of the blade type trigger safety. But I could get used to it, my Shield + has one.

Does anyone have any input on either, particularly the Timney? I'd love to hear some real world comparisons. I have already heard that the Apex is the greatest thing since sliced bread and that if I install it, I'll be able to compete with Rob and Jerry but if I buy the Timney, will I be able to beat Tim Herron and Taran Butler?

I'd be okay with that. :)

BTW, this is a range gun, not a defensive pistol. It will be used for my solo range visits and if I ever decide to do a competition, I'll use it for that if it's legal in Carry Optics.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm thinking the Timney trigger for the M&P may be so new that no one has one to be able to offer any input. Apparently it's been available for the Glock for longer.

Seeing that it is Timney, made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty, I may just give it a try.

Apex is well known and promoted heavily but they are a newer company and they only offer a 1 year warranty.

Probably I wouldn't know any difference unless I shot the two side by side. I'm thinking that either of them would suit me fine.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Speaking from personal experience the Apex for M&P is great. I have no experience with the Timney for the S&W but I have installed a couple Timney setups in Glocks and it's be best drop-in for a Glock on the market IMHO. I don't think you will go wrong with either for the M&P

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'd be interested to hear your results Greg. I've had the Apex triggers in M&P's in the past and while decent, I really dislike the reset. Never feels as crisp and tactile as it should. I hate a sloppy reset. I'm curious if the Timney trigger would be better in that regard? What is the price difference like? Are they comparable?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'd be interested to hear your results Greg. I've had the Apex triggers in M&P's in the past and while decent, I really dislike the reset. Never feels as crisp and tactile as it should. I hate a sloppy reset. I'm curious if the Timney trigger would be better in that regard? What is the price difference like? Are they comparable?
    The polymer Apex is $110
    The aluminum Apex is $180
    Timney only has it in aluminum and it's $159

If I was to go Apex, it would be polymer so I'm spending an additional $49 for the Timney. But I tell myself I'm saving $21 over the Apex aluminum. :)

I had Apex triggers on a couple in the past but thought that the 2.0 triggers were improved enough that I didn't need to upgrade. But I think it's the trigger that is the biggest factor in my abilities compared to my 1911.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah, the 2.0 triggers are WAY better than the old hinged trigger garbage, that's for sure... :yesway:
    Just for clarification, my 2.0 Compact still has the hinged trigger. My Shield+ has the "newest" trigger. The one with the blade.

I can't keep up with S&W's updates. I didn't even know they changed to the flat, bladed triggers on their other pistols. When did they do that?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Greg, did you ever end up doing this? I won a Timney $100 gift card and I'm thinking of using it to upgrade my M&P metal's stock trigger. It's not a bad trigger but my original M&P 1.0 really lowered the bar so it's been used with a full APEX kit replacement for as long as I've owned it.
    I considered getting a "nice" AR trigger but I like 2 stage triggers and they start at 2fiddy ish.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Greg, did you ever end up doing this? I won a Timney $100 gift card and I'm thinking of using it to upgrade my M&P metal's stock trigger. It's not a bad trigger but my original M&P 1.0 really lowered the bar so it's been used with a full APEX kit replacement for as long as I've owned it.
    I considered getting a "nice" AR trigger but I like 2 stage triggers and they start at 2fiddy ish.
    I did the Apex Forward set trigger. Huge difference compared to factory.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom