• ...and so much more!
  • Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    Opinions Wanted. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 17-3 .22 revolver that I bought new in 1974. Still works perfectly and I still love it. For 45 years I carried it with me when I was at property I used to own, mostly for snakes and often just for plinking. I sold the property a few years ago and no longer carry it but it has some pretty significant holster and usage wear to the bluing. This was the first handgun I ever bought and I have a sentimental attachment to it. I don't anticipate selling it anytime soon but may at some time in the future. (Not getting any younger.) I'm struggling with deciding if I should send it back to S&W to have it re-blued or keep it as-is in its authentic, "honorably used" condition. There is no rust on it even though it looks like there might be some in the pictures.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

PS: I have heard good things about S&W re-bluing but if anyone has had a different experience I would appreciate hearing about that too.

IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4615.JPG

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm usually the guy to support a remodel, but all that wear came from YOU. Not some overly-romantic version of "think of the STORY behind that wear", but an actual story: yours.

I have a gun that will never get a refinish, even though it would be a spectacular piece if it were to be done. It has 4 generations of woods wear on it, and it is a blued steel and walnut story board. OTOH, I restored two rifles that also had significant sentimental value. They were functional, not even that worn, but they look amazing now. Better than factory new. I love how they turned out, and I don't miss the "story" of the wear at all.

Ultimately, for me, the question is how much value does the WEAR have to you? Not the gun, the wear. A lot? Don't touch it. Little to none? Go ahead. A refinish will not impact how the GUN speaks to you, other than looking darn pretty.

So get it out, sit down, run your hands around it, and ask yourself: Does the gun bring the memory? Or is the story told by the wear marks?

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Personally I like "honest" wear, never had much use for BBQ guns, and them fanciful shootin' irons..... I thinks it speaks to the value you placed on it....it was dependable, and a tool, but it's your's do with it as you will. Your kids, or grand kids might just sell it, or put it in a safe if it were refinished ( that would be a shame to me) of course they might sell it because it's "old and yucky"....

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    Thank you all. I didn't expect so much great input so quickly. Your comments made the decision really easy. The wear and tear on the gun are a huge part of the story and do instantly bring back a bunch of great memories. You helped me realize that is what is important to me, not that I have one more pristine safe queen. I was thinking about having it re-blued sort of out of respect for it feeling like it deserved to be put back in the condition it was when I got it new but now realize that is just wiping out its history. I'm leaving it alone and letting it get continue to get older with me; compete with a life's worth of scars, wear, and loss of it's youthful appearance (I would say good looks but that would only apply to the gun).
    Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I bought a springfield model 15 single shot 22 (Boy Scout rifle) when I was in high school out of a seniors pickup truck rack for 15 dollars. Nice old gun (1938 pre but plate version) but not expensive when new ($3.19 in sears catalog I have been told) and certainly not a collectors piece. Just a tool to do the old garden gun things it was made to be. A very old single shot 22. Not even walnut stock just birch 24 parts in total.

Dad was a fox trapper then and I gave it to him as a Christmas present. Very light rifle under 4 pounds Judging by the fact I brought it home on the bus I was about 15 so 1979-1980. (Story right there)

during covid dad cleaned it up polished every piece trigger work bolt polishing new cocking spring. cold blue refinished the stock made a butplate from an interarms plastic one to fit it. A white plastic spacer. Added a minute man Ohio gun collectors badge at the pistol grip. ect. I can not imagine the time invested. then he gave it back to me.

price paid. 15 dollars. worth to me priceless. Will be the beginners gun for grandkids for many generations to come I hope. Thing shoots very well for open sights and loves golden bullets and CCI quiet rounds.

Do whatever you want to do with it. Sounds like your is priceless to you as the model 15 is to me.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I am envious just the way it is. Old S & Ws are so cool. If you ever decide to sell it, it should remain in the same geographic area so it doesn't get anxious. You know, like the Greenfield area.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    That’s a tough call. its earned all of that wear and to me, deserves to be left alone. Is there a possibility of passing it down to someone? They might appreciate the wear and stores that came with it. Then gain, you bought it brand new and it might be neat to have it like new again. It truly is your choice but personally, I’d leave it alone.
    I have heard very good stuff about Smith’s refinishing services but I’m not sure how much of it they are doing anymore. They old po”is hers that did the amazing work of the past are also a thing of past, so you’d have to take your chances. If you are thinking of selling it somewhere down the line, you’ll never recoup the cost of refinishing in a sale price so you’d have to be doing it just for yourself.

Top Bottom