• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Decided I want to get a Tokarev for my first pistol, but I'm having trouble deciding which to get. I've pretty well got a budget of $300, so I think it is down to the Yugo M57, Yugo M70A, and the Romanian Tokarev.

So first let's compare the 9mm M70A and the other two in 7.62 Tokarev. What would you suggest? 9mm is so much cheaper and so much more available, but 7.62x25 is a better round ballistically which I am looking at. Ammo cost and availability are tripping me up though. Surplus is gone so it seems the cheapest was Prvi Partisan at .30/round, but it hasn't been seen since the shortage started. Pretty well stuck with the expensive second hand surplus on gunbroker, or I need to get a new die set, brass, bullets, powder, and try to hunt down pistol primers.

If I go with the x25 it's between the Romanian and the Yugo, not sure if there are any others still around for under $300 easily. The Romanian is a collectors' item, and the M57 is brand new and has a safety that is not just an after thought. Collector's value isn't a huge deal to me, but it is a plus. Same goes with having a safety that is at least mildly dependable.

Or should I just scrap all of this and go buy a Makarov? Even 9x18 is still below .20/round with a little searching.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I would go with the M57, the mags hold one more round than the Romanian versions. For $300 you can buy a Bulgarian Makarov. I own both pistols and I love the Makarovs way more than the Tokarevs. Ammo for the Makarov is cheaper than Tokarov ammo and is even cheaper than 9mm Luger ammo.
    If you live in NWI you are more than welcome to try both of them if you like. Here is a vid on the Mak if you want more info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ_XCZsfrr0

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Get the M70A. I have my eye on those for when I get the money. How much are extra mags for the M70A by chance? For a carry gun 9mm all the way. 7.62x25 was hard to get before the panic even.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have an M57, and I enjoy it. Ammo was a little pricey but after you shot it, it felt worth the cost. I use to find it regularly at J&G sales, the surplus ammo that is. I have never had a Mak but the Tok fits my hand great.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Whatever you do, put fingerprints on the gun and make sure it is agreeable to you, particularly since I am understanding that you intend for this to be a working gun. The commies weren't big on ergonomics, so any decision should be tentative pending the trial by hand on gun.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I know a fellow who owns both a Tokarev and a Makarov, but I haven't talked to him in a while. I'll probably go with the M70A. Reluctant to use any sort of reloads for a carry weapon due to those supposed legal pitfalls (those just rumors?), and Wolf Gold is the only hollow-point game in town when it comes to 7.62x25. The Makarov's capacity and ammo availability is great, but I do prefer the looks and history of the Tok. Will compare how they hold and handle before I make my final decision.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    DO NOT rely on the safety. Either carry Condition 3 or if you must have a round in the chamber carry with the hammer lowered to half-cock, the way the pistol was designed. There is no firing pin block in this pistol.

This happened near where I live in 2011; still feels gut-wrenching to think about it today. Jay Byler was carrying his truck gun, a Norinco Type 54 Tokarev, into his house via his coat pocket.

Goshen family loses 7-year-old in accidental shooting - wsbt.com

UPDATED: Prosecutor says no charges in Goshen girl's shooting death- VIDEO

BigWagon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Greentown
    DO NOT rely on the safety. Either carry Condition 3 or if you must have a round in the chamber carry with the hammer lowered to half-cock, the way the pistol was designed. There is no firing pin block in this pistol.

True for all the Tokarevs except the M70A. It has a factory installed safety, not the junk trigger safety on all the others.

I picked up a M70A a couple weeks ago and have not had any issues in the first 100 rounds. I always wanted a Tokarev but wanted the option to carry it and the safety issue always scared me off. As soon as I found out they were producing one in 9mm with a true safety, I had to have one. Very happy with the purchase so far.

The only problem is extra mags won't be available until July from what I've found.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you want to go the Tokarev route, check AIM Surplus (AIM Surplus Home) and see if they still have the factory-new Zastava M57s (for $229.95!). These have the new slide-mounted safety (not an "add-on") and, like all M57s, are 9-round instead of 8-round. :rockwoot:

(That having been said, though, I am in agreement with Indy_Guy in preferring the Pistolet Makarova (the real Makarov).)

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    what is this century arms cugir ttc I have seen advertised? any good? I have wanted a nice tt for years in 762 x 25 and never wanted the chicom crap pieces I saw at gun shows

Top Bottom