• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I ended up buying a post factory converted mini-14 machine gun off a buddy from out of state. Since he is out of state (Massachusetts) I didn't make the drive to check it out, but I trust him. For 4K, I figure it can't be that bad of a deal, and from what I gather Ruger is more or less out of parts for the AC556 so the warranty on a factory gun wasn't a big seller

It's not like I'm even going to see it for a few months (the first form 4 arrived at the ATF office today for the transfer to beach grove firearms). Anyways, I've heard that its possible to add 3 round burst functionality to one of these guns. Anyone have any info on this? It's not the end of the world if not, but it seems like a neat undertaking.

scaled.php

Shane White

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Congrats. Not sure about burst modification, but I'd say you won't need it. You'll be able to do short bursts with practice. Looks good.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Congrats. Not sure about burst modification, but I'd say you won't need it. You'll be able to do short bursts with practice. Looks good.

Thanks, I've never fired full auto, but I've been told that with a bit of practice you can get the three round burst down. I wasn't thinking specifically for me though. On occasion I might be a nice guy, with me there of course, and let others shoot it. Having three round burst will keep the wasted ammo to a minimum. Also, I just kinda think it might be a neat project and maybe one day I will want to sell it (not likely) and the three round burst could add to the resale value.

I try to keep my firearm purchases "practical", but I guess this is not one of those. It's somewhat of an investment, and at the very least I expect it to track the price of gold to keep up with inflation, that is assuming a miracle doesn't occur and Hughes is repealed or overturned. I've only told a couple friends about it and the first thing they asked was "that's awesome, but how is that legal?" or "how do i buy one and why is it so expensive?", so it's been a good opportunity to educate people who have a moderate interest in firearms about NFA and Hughes Amendment without their eyes glazing over with confusion or boredom.

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    For new full auto shooters I put five rounds in the mag, have them shoot two on semi and then if they have the hang of it, switch to full. Automatic limited to 3 rounds.

Repeat as needed until they can shoot just two of the three rounds a couple times ....

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    For new full auto shooters I put five rounds in the mag, have them shoot two on semi and then if they have the hang of it, switch to full. Automatic limited to 3 rounds.

Repeat as needed until they can shoot just two of the three rounds a couple times ....

Good advice! So if I ever need to go to a gunsmith, I assume I have to visit one with an SOT endorsement? Anyone have any experience or advice with a class 3 gun smith in Indy or south side?

jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    You got that gun for at least $2000 if not $3000 less than they are going for right now. Heck of a find.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    You got that gun for at least $2000 if not $3000 less than they are going for right now. Heck of a find.

Yeah, compared to a factory gun. I was bidding on an AC556 with the with out the folding stock at the same time I was considering this one. It was relatively rough cosmetically, so it went for $6250. I couldn't justify bidding any higher than that based on the condition so I let it go. It seems like since I've started looking a few months ago the prices have gone up even more. Now many of the mint conditions are going for 7.5k or even 8k.

The only thing I'm sort of regretting is that I've read that the .22lr kit won't function with the converted minis in full auto for some reason. I still may buy one if I can locate it and fiddle around and see if I can get it to work.

I was really just looking for a good deal for a rifle caliber, and this seemed the best price for something not ancient and borderline unusable. There was a French Chauchat for somewhere around 4K, but they are junk from what I've seen and run around $1 per shot.

I did see a lightning link on subguns.com yesterday for 8k. That would have been tempting. Have to add another grand or so for an AR that accepts the lightning links and a couple hundred for the select fire mod, but that's still way cheaper than an M16 or RR AR15.

nice i had him email me pics when it was posted on strum

glad some one in indy got it

I'm from Greenwood as well. I didn't ask, but I'm wondering if it is more difficult to sell machine guns in state in Massachusetts. I think there is some kind of additional regulation that requires that you prove you are a collector or some such nonsense.

Top Bottom