• ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    :p

The balloons is a huge deal to any fan or area resident that looks to see "The Ballons" on race morning.
    Heck man there is more trash thrown from cars along the roads and fence rows than any balloon release adds to.

But if that's how you feel then cool.
    Just because there is more litter generated elsewhere does not mean steps shouldn't be taken to eliminate it where you can.

Do you just throw garbage out of your car window because others are? I'm betting no.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My pastures get mown. I am not here to debate balloons, plastic shopping bags and fast food bags. Yeah, call me old fashioned, I prefer the old school method of throwing your own trash in a trash can.
    We mow pastures in june and august,
    Next time i'll use purple or you can put on your "i'm fun" shirt tomorrow.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Seems like the fuel, oil and rubber used for the race would create more pollution than balloons. Seriously though, how difficult would it be to create biodegradable balloons for this? I've hit biodegradable golf balls in to water and woods and shot biodegradable airsoft ammo. Biodegradable straws appear to be all the rage. They're weird but seem to work for the duration of dinner and drinks. It seems that biodegradable balloons could be produced easy enough.
    Biodegradable straws. ARE YOU DAFT MAN? Oh you mean "paper" straws. Yeah, been around since at least the 50's.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm pretty much okay with this change. We kind of learned our lesson the hard way.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    We mow pastures in june and august,
    Next time i'll use purple or you can put on your "i'm fun" shirt tomorrow.

Had it been in purple, I would have responded a lot differently. Did not read in your intended sarcasm. I am spraying fence rows now and have picked up 3 balloons already last week. So maybe I was a little sensitive about this.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Biodegradable straws. ARE YOU DAFT MAN? Oh you mean "paper" straws. Yeah, been around since at least the 50's.
    Paper straws are so '50's.

Nowadays, they make compostable straws out of plastic, or PLA/CPLA, as well as plastic forks/spoons/knives.

Because of @PhotoNinja , I know way too much about compostable cutlery.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Had it been in purple, I would have responded a lot differently. Did not read in your intended sarcasm. I am spraying fence rows now and have picked up 3 balloons already last week. So maybe I was a little sensitive about this.
    I’ve spent a good portion of my life picking up other people’s litter on my property, property I volunteer to manage, and public property. I don’t understand the mentality of ‘the world is my trash can’ some folks have. Of course, I’m libertarian, not republicrat, so maybe I just don’t understand entitlement. I’m very much “You do you on your property, keep it off mine.”

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    An intrepid group of fans made sure the tradition continued, albeit on a much smaller scale!

Attachments

• BEC5A0DD-473B-422A-AA06-6E34B5AE73AF.jpeg
      BEC5A0DD-473B-422A-AA06-6E34B5AE73AF.jpeg
      179 KB · Views: 9
    • 5B85E633-0770-4212-A467-E95226E1EAE4.jpeg
      5B85E633-0770-4212-A467-E95226E1EAE4.jpeg
      171.9 KB · Views: 9
    Top Bottom