• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    Hello New to the site, Alot of helpful and thought provoking info and people. I am not new to guns, grewup with firearms and hunting and the shooting sports. I have looked for schools a classes to better prepair myself in a self defince defense. Seems like you have to start with basic training first {trigger,triggerguard,hammer,grips,cleaning,storage and shells} I have taken Hunter education once and getting ready to take it again with my second son. My question.....Who,Where,When do they teach a advanced class that you don't have to take basic first?

Thank you in advance....

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I assume you are talking self-defense type shooting rather than and extension of the Hunter Safety class you mention.

Yes, most places want you start with their basic class and work up from there. And it's for good reason. They are done in building block fashion, and it would be hard to do "C" without first doing "A" and "B". You can probably manage to get it done starting higher up, but will slow down the rest of the class and annoy them greatly!

I took my first class after I had been shooting for fun and competitively for several years. I had done OK in pistol matches, and even won some smaller bowling pin and Highpower (rifle) matches. But my first class was an "Intro to" class and I learned a LOT. After that, I "worked my way up" though other classes and if given the chance to do it again, I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Besides, the basics are done in every class (or should be). As they go up, they just add more speed or more complications for you to deal with.
    I believe in the basics so much that if time and money were no object, I would be traveling around the country attending every class I could- and I would start with the Basic/Level 1/Intro class at each one. After I had taken all of those, then I might move up.

My suggestion to start would be to contact Sheriff Ken Campbell of the Boone Co Sheriff's Dept. He holds several classes each year. He teaches some (He instructs at Gunsite too), but he also has Louis Awerbuck, Pat Rogers, and others in. Rifle, shotgun, and handgun. He has Steve Tarani in some years for knife or improvised weapons training too, for that matter.

He just had a class last weekend that probably would have been a good start. It's called "Introduction To Defensive Pistol" and is the same class that I first took. If I had to describe it briefly, I would say it was about like the first couple of days of a Gunsite pistol class. It's only two days (a weekend) and cheap ($150 the last I knew).
    You missed that one, but he usually does it a few times each year. He has a Gunsite 150 coming up next month that I'm taking. They usually fill up quick, so I don't know if there would be any openings now.

The best thing to do would be to contact him:
    Sheriff Ken Campbell
    (765) 483-3359
    Kcampbell@co.boone.in.us

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well KimberCarry you are on the right track by checking out the "Tacitcs and Training" forum here on INGO. This is a great resource for seeing what classes will be offered in the months to come.

I believe there are still some spots available for the training in New Castle on May 10th. Me and my sister will be taking part in that one, as well as other members here.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...er_basic_class_in_new_castle_on_may_10th.html

Top Bottom