• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I am in NWI looking for a trap coach / instructor. Any place in particular I should start my search? I know most clubs have a clay thrower and I will look into that I am just wondering if anyone of them “specialize” or advertise instruction for trap? (Or any local person?)

Thanks

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't particularly know of an individual in NWI.
    However, you might as around at any local conservation clubs or your local club that shoots trap and see if any of them have youth team. They will be able to point you towards someone in your area

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    They have a regular trap session on Wednesdays & Saturdays at Glen Park Izaak Walton:

You might try dropping in and asking around there.

You might also give the Indiana Gun Club a call and see if they know of anyone in this area:

You can get lessons at Deer Creek Hunt Club in Michigan:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    When I started my hand at trap shooting a friend introduced me to Oakwood Gun club in Wheatfield. There was a bunch of
    old timers there that shot trap their whole life and would voluntarily walk up behind you when shooting to help. They used to do practice trap every Saturday but when I went there a few years ago was told they do it on Wed now. Not sure anymore what days they shoot but there is a nice sporting clays range there also.

I believe the Izaak Walton in Hobart by 65 &61st shoots on Saturdays.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you can't find a coach or just as another good resource, there are some good trap shooting videos. A couple that I would recommend are the videos made by Leo Harrison or Phil Kiner.

I have the Phil Kiner videos and there's a ton of excellent information in them. My advice would be to keep the screening time to a minimum between breaks. They can be a little dry. One great thing about Phil is he will answer your phone call and chat with you like he has known you forever.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Ok I'm gonna give you some advice,
    Use the gun that you currently have, If you are hunter use that gun for now.
    STAY in the gun dont try to lift your head and see the clay break keep your head on the stock!!

GO SHOOT!!! Thursdays at MCFG in Indy is a great place to shoot and LOTS of good shooters!! GO SHOOT!! save your $$ for low recoil shells and did I mention GO SHOOT!!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    STAY in the gun dont try to lift your head and see the clay break keep your head on the stock!!

GO SHOOT!!! Thursdays at MCFG in Indy is a great place to shoot and LOTS of good shooters!! GO SHOOT!! save your $$ for low recoil shells and did I mention GO SHOOT!!
    Thanks Indy is a bit of a haul…. My kid is extremely interested in trap and is pretty good. But me knowing nothing about it I am trying my best to not ruin her and make her unlearn bad habits I teach her.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

While it's certainly good to know how to shoot your hunting gun well, I have to disagree with you. If a person can they should try as many guns as possible and see what they like. If they are only shooting trap, then a trap gun that shoots where the individual looks and they can shoot it without covering the target like a field gun requires even better.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Indy is a bit of a haul…. My kid is extremely interested in trap and is pretty good. But me knowing nothing about it I am trying my best to not ruin her and make her unlearn bad habits I teach her.
    Not sure your schedule will allow but the Grand American runs August 2-12th over in Sparta Illinois. There will be manufacturers with demo guns of all kinds with plenty of eye candy to look at too. Talk to some folks and you may find someone that's putting on a seminar event you could take your kid to. The Barthalow brothers put on seminars geared for working with youth

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    While it's certainly good to know how to shoot your hunting gun well, I have to disagree with you. If a person can they should try as many guns as possible and see what they like. If they are only shooting trap, then a trap gun that shoots where the individual looks and they can shoot it without covering the target like a field gun requires even better.
    sounds like the guy is just getting started. If he/she/ or his child is just starting out I'd say just go have fun and enjoy what you have. If $$ isnt an object by all means have at it. I still shoot a meat gun and will compete in the Grand with a meat gun and ive shot trap for yrs. wants and needs!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    We are just starting out and my kid was scared of my silver reserve 12g but after she shot it…. She now claimed it. I am not against getting a dedicated trap gun for her once she proves she is serious. Obviously money is always a factor. Especially after looking at trap guns this is a rich man’s sport like golf for cool people. I will be going to the grand for a day to see what it is about

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    sounds like the guy is just getting started. If he/she/ or his child is just starting out I'd say just go have fun and enjoy what you have. If $$ isnt an object by all means have at it. I still shoot a meat gun and will compete in the Grand with a meat gun and ive shot trap for yrs. wants and needs!
    I agree to the extent that a person can shoot what they have and it's better than watching. However, shooting what a person has doesn't mean they will learn to shoot it well. Now, there's truth in the old saying beware of the guy who only shoots one gun. I remember struggling but never giving up as a kid because the gun dad bought me really didn't fit. But my options were make due or don't shoot, so I made due.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    With minimal instruction from a cpl good trap shooters this kid will shoot well! Keep em shooting,

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The best money you can spend, once you determine she's really into this, is to enroll her in one of the big-name clinics like Phil Kiner's. It is not cheap, but very comparable to good instruction you'd get anywhere for any type of shooting sport. (When you consider what it costs to shoot trap anyway, it's too expensive not to get some quality instruction). Phil has trained a lot of shooters, seen a lot of common mistakes, and knows how to screen a new person for all the common ones. He will analyze her using video and show her things about her shooting that would be really hard for the two of you to figure out quickly on your own. Plus he is an instructor who has "actually done it," a Grand champion and All-American unlike most people who will want to give your daughter advice at the club.

Don't get me wrong, the people you meet at the club mean well, and some may have a nugget of wisdom or two. But no type of advice is more easily obtained, or more costly in the long run, than some of the absolute garbage she will hear from nice old men at a trap club. Most have never shot 100 straight in their lives, but nothing makes their hearts race more than a new young female shooter who looks up to them and listens to their "wisdom." I know this sounds harsh, but I'm doing you a favor in the long run by telling you this. We jokingly refer to them as "D-Class 20-yard All Americans" for a reason.

If you can't get matched up with a clinic date, the next best thing (or maybe even better?) is to see if she can get involved in a SCTP (Scholastic Clay Target Program) team in her area:

https://mysctp.com/

It's a very well-developed training program for young trapshooters that sprung up in the last 20+ years, and has turned out some kids who are excellent shooters. The teachers are not going to be Phil Kiner level, but my understanding is they do have to complete some basic level of coaching proficiency certification to be working with the kids. Google it and see if it's something you can do.

But my final word would be - be careful who you let teach your daughter. Free advice at the club is ever-present and there is a never ending list of nice old men who will want to take your daughter under their wing and live vicariously off her. It can be a pricey sport, but unlearning bad habits is the most costly part of all. Good instruction is out there, but you will have to look for it. It is not going to bonk into you for free at the Thursday Night trap club.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    The best money you can spend, once you determine she's really into this, is to enroll her in one of the big-name clinics like Phil Kiner's. It is not cheap, but very comparable to good instruction you'd get anywhere for any type of shooting sport. (When you consider what it costs to shoot trap anyway, it's too expensive not to get some quality instruction). Phil has trained a lot of shooters, seen a lot of common mistakes, and knows how to screen a new person for all the common ones. He will analyze her using video and show her things about her shooting that would be really hard for the two of you to figure out quickly on your own. Plus he is an instructor who has "actually done it," a Grand champion and All-American unlike most people who will want to give your daughter advice at the club.

Don't get me wrong, the people you meet at the club mean well, and some may have a nugget of wisdom or two. But no type of advice is more easily obtained, or more costly in the long run, than some of the absolute garbage she will hear from nice old men at a trap club. Most have never shot 100 straight in their lives, but nothing makes their hearts race more than a new young female shooter who looks up to them and listens to their "wisdom." I know this sounds harsh, but I'm doing you a favor in the long run by telling you this. We jokingly refer to them as "D-Class 20-yard All Americans" for a reason.

If you can't get matched up with a clinic date, the next best thing (or maybe even better?) is to see if she can get involved in a SCTP (Scholastic Clay Target Program) team in her area:

https://mysctp.com/

It's a very well-developed training program for young trapshooters that sprung up in the last 20+ years, and has turned out some kids who are excellent shooters. The teachers are not going to be Phil Kiner level, but my understanding is they do have to complete some basic level of coaching proficiency certification to be working with the kids. Google it and see if it's something you can do.

But my final word would be - be careful who you let teach your daughter. Free advice at the club is ever-present and there is a never ending list of nice old men who will want to take your daughter under their wing and live vicariously off her. It can be a pricey sport, but unlearning bad habits is the most costly part of all. Good instruction is out there, but you will have to look for it. It is not going to bonk into you for free at the Thursday Night trap club.
    Your post makes me want to go punch an old man. :xmad::lmfao:

I definitely understand what you’re saying, and it’s a good reminder everyone at the club is not a pro. I am looking into the AIM kids program and will be talking to them at the grand American this week.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In regards to what Twangbanger mentioned, a clinic is a fantastic option for some serious training. Not all who put on clinics are equal so if you choose to go that direction be selective.
    A few I've heard nothing but great reviews from are the Barthalow Brothers they have an annual clinic at the Grand for kids. Phil Kiner has a fantastic reputation and he has given me advice that's helped me and my daughter just from chatting on the phone. First time I called him he talked to me like we've known each other for years. He is also incredibly knowledgeable in working with shooters who have some vision issues such eye dominance. Another fantastic instructor, one I would like to take a clinic with is Nora Martin (mostly because she is usually closer than Phil). She is probably one of the best one eye trap shooters around. These instructors are known for working with people as individuals rather than trying to change every shooter to do it their way.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Young eyes, reflexes, wants to shoot!! you keep her interested and in ammo and she'll be breaking clays for along time!
    The Thursday night local trap shoot there is a Class A World Champ that has taught many. Too bad its such a long trip,, Hes free! and you'll not find a better guy on the planet.
    Might be worth a cpl road trips to see just how serious she and you want to get!

Top Bottom