• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MamasRight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    Boone County
    My son wants to get involved in shooting sports. He has told me that he would like to learn to shoot clays and learn to hunt fowl. I have no idea where to start with this. He is 16 years old, (5'8" 130#), and has shot my handgun and a crossbow in the past. Any advice would be great. What shotgun would be a good choice to start with? I don't want him to get something that has too much kick for him, that would be too heavy, or that he would not enjoy shooting. I am a single mom on disability and don't have much money to spend on this but would love to be able to get him something for Christmas that he would enjoy for years to come. Also we live in Boone County, where would be a good place for him to practice and have someone teach him?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Contact your local 4H and see if they have a shooting program. I know Hendricks County 4H has an excellent program. The biggest cost for Trap is the recurring cost of ammo and trap fees. Box of shells $7.00 plus round of trap $4-$5, so you looking at $12.00 for one round of trap. I'm a member at Brownsburg CC and Marion County (indianapolis) which both shoot trap (Thurs Nights and Sat Afternoon). I'd be more than happy to introduce your son to Trap shooting. I can provide the shotguns all you have to provide are the shells and Trap Fee. These events are open to the public so there be many people present during these times.

MamasRight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    Boone County
    Contact your local 4H and see if they have a shooting program. I know Hendricks County 4H has an excellent program. The biggest cost for Trap is the recurring cost of ammo and trap fees. Box of shells $7.00 plus round of trap $4-$5, so you looking at $12.00 for one round of trap. I'm a member at Brownsburg CC and Marion County (indianapolis) which both shoot trap (Thurs Nights and Sat Afternoon). I'd be more than happy to introduce your son to Trap shooting. I can provide the shotguns all you have to provide are the shells and Trap Fee. These events are open to the public so there be many people present during these times.

That would be great singlesix!! That would give him a chance to learn before I invest in a gun for him. He saves his allowance so can use that for the ammo and trap fees. Send me a message and we could see what will work. Thank you so much for responding and offering to introduce him to this.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If he wants to hunt fowl, then I would get him a 12 gauge auto loader or pump action shotgun. He can shoot Trap with it to hone his field shooting skills. Personally for me, I would not buy a dedicated Trap gun unless that was all I was going to do with it.

There are some nice ones out there. My opinion is to buy quality. It doesn't have to be the best, most expensive but if you start out with good stuff, it will last several lifetimes and will hold it's value better. It is easy to sell a better quality firearm if you decided to do so vs. a cheaper brand.

Remington sells both a good autoloader and a pump.

I don't know where Boone county is(Indiana transplant), but Marion County Fish and Game has an awesome Thursday night clay shoot. Every Thursday night beginning at 6 PM year round. They will teach your son how to be safe, how to shoot a shotgun well and have fun all at the same time!

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Has your son ever fired a shotgun? I definitely would not rush out and buy him one till he tries it to see if its something he truly wants to do. If he decided he wants to continue with the sport then look for a shotgun. I would stick with a 12 or 20 gauge because you can always find value packs of ammo for them. A 20 gauge is going to have less kick to it and its probably what I would look at if it were me.

Club events are great times for shooting, but I am not sure that I would take a first timer to one. While everyone there is helpful and would be more than willing to help teach your son, I think a one on one environment would be better to start with. Your son needs someone to show him how to safely handle a shotgun and how one functions, then begin trying to actually shoot trap. Events are typically pretty fast paced and not an ideal learning situation in my opinion. Not knowing your son either, he may not feel comfortable trying to shoot the first time with several spectators watching him. I also am unsure of the clubs policy regarding minors, I imagine that a parent or guardian must be present (don't know if your planning on going or not).

Unfortunately there is not much in the Boone County area for practicing, unless you know someone with ground that will let you shoot on their property. I travel to Linden Conservation Club (between Linden and Romney) to shoot. I am a member there and they have 2 trap houses that members can use anytime as long as there is not an event taking place on the range. I am by no means an expert at the sport, but I would be willing to show your son how to safely handle a shotgun and show him the basics of shooting trap. I also have a few shotguns that I would be willing to let him try as long as he provides the ammo.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    My son wants to get involved in shooting sports. He has told me that he would like to learn to shoot clays and learn to hunt fowl. I have no idea where to start with this. He is 16 years old, (5'8" 130#), and has shot my handgun and a crossbow in the past. Any advice would be great. What shotgun would be a good choice to start with? I don't want him to get something that has too much kick for him, that would be too heavy, or that he would not enjoy shooting. I am a single mom on disability and don't have much money to spend on this but would love to be able to get him something for Christmas that he would enjoy for years to come. Also we live in Boone County, where would be a good place for him to practice and have someone teach him?
    If you are in Boone Co. there is a conservation club located right in Lebanon on the south side of town. They shoot trap there once a month. I am not sure of the day as I don't shoot trap. I believe they shoot on a Sunday - I believe the club is referred to as the Boone County Conservation Club. They also have rifle pistol shooting into their backstop plus a fishing pit.

Boone Co. also has a very active 4-H shooting sports program. I believe the program includes trap shooting, rifle shooting, and archery.

Lastly, I would recommend you consider a Remington 870 pump shotgun, if you spend a little more money, a Remington 1100 shotgun. Based on your son's physical makeup, I would suggest you consider a 20 ga. rather than a 12 ga. as it will recoil (kick) less. Both the 870 and the 1100 have the benefit of being able to purchase additional barrels that could be used for different purposes. However, with the initial purchase consisting of a gun with a 28" barrel with screw chokes the gun could be initially used for a multitude of purposes. i.e. hunting various types of small game, deer, and birds as well as shooting trap. Remington made millions of these guns and they can often be purchased used for a reasonable price - say around $250 to $350.

A lot of shooting, like anything else, is enjoying success while you're doing it. That being said, it will benefit your son to have someone mentor him in safety first with the other facets of the shooting sports thereafter. If you'd like to explore this further I would suggest you get in touch with the 4-H folks.

Best of luck

MamasRight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    Boone County
    Has your son ever fired a shotgun? ...........
    I imagine that a parent or guardian must be present (don't know if your planning on going or not).

Unfortunately there is not much in the Boone County area for practicing, unless you know someone with ground that will let you shoot on their property. I travel to Linden Conservation Club (between Linden and Romney) to shoot. I am a member there and they have 2 trap houses that members can use anytime as long as there is not an event taking place on the range. I am by no means an expert at the sport, but I would be willing to show your son how to safely handle a shotgun and show him the basics of shooting trap. I also have a few shotguns that I would be willing to let him try as long as he provides the ammo.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was not going to go out and get him a gun of his own until he at least tries it and decides that it is really something that he wants to pursue. My money is very tight and it is a one time thing for me to be able to get him something like this. I want to make sure he likes it and it's not something he is just "thinking" about. I would definitely be going with him for a while no matter where it is he is shooting. Not that I am untrusting, but I am a Mom and he is my Son. It is very nice of you all to offer to teach him how to shoot and the basics of trap. I am overwhelmed by your generosity. He has shot a rifle and a crossbow in the past but neither consistently. He has shot a handgun also and is starting to do more with my 9mm. I have heard that the Boone Country Conservation club has an area to shoot shotguns but not sure if they have trap. I know he is very interested and would like to try it. He can provide the ammo and range fee with his allowance. He has save up a little. If you could send me a message with your email I will send you an email reply. I cannot send private message on here because I do not have enough posts but I can receive them. Thank you.

MamasRight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    Boone County
    Boone Co. also has a very active 4-H shooting sports program. I believe the program includes trap shooting, rifle shooting, and archery.

Lastly, I would recommend you consider a Remington 870 pump shotgun, if you spend a little more money, a Remington 1100 shotgun. Based on your son's physical makeup, I would suggest you consider a 20 ga. rather than a 12 ga. as it will recoil (kick) less.

A lot of shooting, like anything else, is enjoying success while you're doing it. That being said, it will benefit your son to have someone mentor him in safety first with the other facets of the shooting sports thereafter. If you'd like to explore this further I would suggest you get in touch with the 4-H folks.

Best of luck

4H is not really an option for us since he is not able to be here in the summer when they are doing most of their stuff. I know there are other kids in town that do it but they also are committed to help with the fair and other things happening in the summer. He is gone in the summer to his fathers out of state.

I looked up the 870 and seems like it is a lot more expensive than you have posted here. I am trying not to spend over $300 on a gun because I am on disability now and have a small fixed income. He can pay for his range fees and ammo out of the allowance he gets from his grandmother. It's not much but is enough to let him enjoy shooting once a week or so.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    4H is not really an option for us since he is not able to be here in the summer when they are doing most of their stuff. I know there are other kids in town that do it but they also are committed to help with the fair and other things happening in the summer. He is gone in the summer to his fathers out of state.

I looked up the 870 and seems like it is a lot more expensive than you have posted here. I am trying not to spend over $300 on a gun because I am on disability now and have a small fixed income. He can pay for his range fees and ammo out of the allowance he gets from his grandmother. It's not much but is enough to let him enjoy shooting once a week or so.

Look for a used one or watch the sales. I saw an 870 for $269 not too long ago. You may see some deals in January. I found the best prices on two firearms in January last year.

Top Bottom