• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I am planning a short hunting/fishing trip to northern AZ and I am kinda stumped on what exactly I have to do to get my firearms there with me. I plan on contacting the TSA but was wondering if anyone had experience with this.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It's rather simple. You put the gun/guns in a hard-sided case that is able to be locked. You bring the case to the counter at the airport and tell them you need to declare a firearm. You MAY have to show that it is unloaded and they will have you fill out a little declaration card stating that it is unloaded. That card will go in the case and then they will have a TSA agent inspect the case (in your presence). After they inspect it, they will have YOU lock it and you will retain the keys to the locks. It will then get put in with the regular baggage and will be checked through to your location.

Upon arrival at your destination, you will pick up your gun with your regular checked baggage in most cases. In some cases they pull it aside and page you to the baggage check office. No big deal either way.

I traveled from Chicago to Spokane last fall with 4 handguns and it was easy and painless.

Ammo can be placed in your regular checked luggage. It needs to be in a container that is designed to hold ammo so it's not loose. (factory boxes, magazines with covers, plastic ammo box)

Each airline has weight restrictions on how much ammo you can bring. Check with your airlines website as to their specific policy.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    It's rather simple. You put the gun/guns in a hard-sided case that is able to be locked. You bring the case to the counter at the airport and tell them you need to declare a firearm. You MAY have to show that it is unloaded and they will have you fill out a little declaration card stating that it is unloaded. That card will go in the case and then they will have a TSA agent inspect the case (in your presence). After they inspect it, they will have YOU lock it and you will retain the keys to the locks. It will then get put in with the regular baggage and will be checked through to your location.

Upon arrival at your destination, you will pick up your gun with your regular checked baggage in most cases. In some cases they pull it aside and page you to the baggage check office. No big deal either way.

I traveled from Chicago to Spokane last fall with 4 handguns and it was easy and painless.

Ammo can be placed in your regular checked luggage. It needs to be in a container that is designed to hold ammo so it's not loose. (factory boxes, magazines with covers, plastic ammo box)

Each airline has weight restrictions on how much ammo you can bring. Check with your airlines website as to their specific policy.
    Let me add a few extras to this list.
    I've flown with guns several times and it's never been the same twice.
    Basically have a hard shell case. (Mine are plastic.) That can be locked in such away that you can't pry a side open and take the gun out. The picture that TSA shows is a flimsy plastic case with one lock in the center and you can easily lift either side and take the gun out. This is a no no. My cases that use are plastic and have holes for locks on both sides of the case. (I use two locks per case.) So one could still get my gun out as it's just a plastic case, but one should be able to simply pull up on the side and easily get to the gun. They should have to break, or saw the plastic case to get the gun out.
    Also the locks you use on the case are supposed to be locks that only you can open and only will have the key for. I've read this on TSA website and confirmed it by calling them. In other words your locks for the case should NOT be TSA locks. Only you have access to the case.
    I did have one flight were they (TSA) got pissy that I had used non TSA locks and requested that I hand over the key so they could inspect weapon. This was not the norm for what I've been used too. And I was uncomfortable that it was going to be done out of my site so I refuse. In the end they "compromised" and opened my case underneath a security camera that I could watch in a different part of the airport. Never got an explanation as to why it was different. :dunno: Anyway. it's normally very straight forward. Take your gun in the case to the front counter, declare it by filling out their ticket and lock the gun up and put it into your checked baggage. The ticket that you fill out goes in your luggage. I normally am told to put the ticket on top of the plastic gun case in the luggage. One time I was told that the ticket goes in the gun case. I believe this was in error though. If only you have the key then how would they see the ticket? Some of them have wanted me to show the gun was empty other not. Goes without saying double check BEFORE you get to airport that it's indeed empty.
    Now for the ammo. Every airline is different and they are ones that will be telling you how your ammo can be transported so check their website. Some say only new in package ammo. Other allow it to be transported in a container that keeps they ammo separated. I use a plastic box with lid meant to hold reloads when I travel. Some will have a weight limit to how much ammo you can carry. Again check with the airline.
    When I traveled with South West last year I was able to take my carry ammo out of my mags and put it in the plastic reload box and that's how I traveled.
    All and all though I've not really had any problems, just be prepared to be flexible to what the individual in front of you is saying the "rules" are.
    Good luck.

Top Bottom