• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Since everyone else is posting videos I wanted to jump on the bandwagon.

Hopefully this works. This is my first video embed attempt.

I recently purchased a decent AirSoft version of my carry pistol to try some things with and see how I could fit it in to my practice. I also intend to use it at a couple AirSoft based force on force courses this year. Any thoughts on AirSoft equipment for practice?

Since I suck too much to embed the video, you get a link:

http://youtu.be/GoHA-rhGeG4

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I am no expert at all on AirSoft guns. I was looking for a Glock 19 AirSoft gun that was made of metal, cycled on it's own for semi-automatic operation, and accepted a magazine. It is my understanding that Glock pattern AirSoft guns of any quality are relatively rare. I bought mine here:

Airsoft Guns Free Shipping airsoft rifles, pistols, spring, electric, Soft Air Gun - AirSplat

I believe there are a number of forums and websites devoted specifically to AirSoft. I would avoid plastic, spring powered type guns. The one I have is powered by compressed gas. The one area where it does not operate in a reasonably similar way to a real gun is that when the magazine runs out, it will still shoot air and cycle the slide. There is no indication that it is empty. Based on Travis Haley's video, it seems there are some guns that stop operating when the magazine is empty.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Based on Travis Haley's video, it seems there are some guns that stop operating when the magazine is empty.

More than that, the latest high-end gas-powered guns mimic the real thing very well in terms of control placement/function, weight, and even recoil sensation. I got to fire a Mk18 gas gun at the 2011 SHOT Show that would make a phenomenal training tool. It was fully licensed by Colt and was very accurate, even down to the receiver markings, logos and finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrN5SJeZCw&feature=relmfu

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've been using airsoft in FOF since around 1999 before it became cool, the guns available currently are very good quality. Some good places to look are airsoft GI as previously posted and airsoft atlanta is also a good one. For handguns I usually use the gas powered ones and it seems there is an airsoft for almost every conceivable handgun, if there isn't just wait there probably will be. For rifles (AR) I currently use some versions made by toptech which are very nice. They are electric but have actuating bolts and run for a long time on a charge. There are some nice gas rifles now but beware that gas guns can be sensitive to temperature outside. As opposed to years past the gun companies are starting to come on board with airsoft instead of fighting it and many now are licensed copies of the real steel which is nice.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    For shear weapon manipulation the good stuff varies quite a bit and can cost you a lot of money. I'll go through them a bit.

Pistols, KWA, WE, KJW, and HFC make very reliable gas blow back pistols for most models and Tokyo Marui (Most reputable brand made) make the XDm and soon the M&P.

Rifles - For an AK Real Sword makes the most realistic AK platform but it doesn't have a blowback (recoil) feature. If you want recoil on an AK you're going to have to get a Daytona Gun AK and the entire air delivery system (like paintball) and go with that. VFC Makes GBB rifles such as the 416 and M4/AR15. Tokyo Marui is now making the Scar and M4 models in electric blow back which isn't as good for recoil as a Gas Blow Back but still super high quality. WE Tech makes M1A/M14's in Gas Blow back, even including the EBR/EMR.

Now the issue is with most of the GBB models you're going to pay $30-$60 per spare magazine and they will only work reliably when it's warmer than 50 degrees outside. The electric guns require batteries and standard mags which cost about $55 for 8 magazines but the action of the weapon isn't as realistic. There is one electric option that is more realistic but has no recoil and it's called the Systema PTW. When your mag is empty the bolt locks out of battery and after you mag change you have to release it forward just like a real AR/M4/M16 and go back to work. You're looking at around $900-$1000 for the PTW with 1 magazine and about $50 per magazine beyond that.

What I do for rifle is I run an AEG which is an electric gun or a Polar Star HPA (High Pressure Air) and I manipulate it exactly as I would my real AR15 meaning when I reload, I still hit the bolt release even though it doesn't function and I treat it as if everything is the same. Since I run a mid-length gas system AR15 with a good muzzle device, I don't have much recoil to fight anyway.

The pistols would really impress you though, realistic weight, size (most are 1:1 replicas), and the recoil is decent. The only thing you might need is more magazines $25-45 each and a can of green gas or propane + lubricant made for the GBB Pistols and an adapter for the propane can. I can get a LOT of gas refills for one mag with a 1lb can of propane which costs next to nothing.

Just throwing this out there, there are electric blow back rifles made by many brands including Classic Army and Ares but they've proven to be unreliable in the big picture, too many small parts to break. That's why I chose not to get the blow back models. My Classic Army is approaching 75,000 rounds fired through it without a major repair or modification.

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    I watched the vid from the OP. There was a lot of emphasis put using AirSoft in tactical training. Maybe I'm just dumb, but why do I need tactical training, or why do I need to practice tactical maneuvers? I'm not on SWAT. I'm not law enforcement. I will NEVER engage an invading force with a number of armed combatants in a live-fire situation, so why would I use my time and resources to persue those recreationally? Is it just that, just something fun to do? I feel the same way about the recent AR-15 craze. EVERYBODY has to have an AR. Are they just something else fun to shoot?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I watched the vid from the OP. There was a lot of emphasis put using AirSoft in tactical training. Maybe I'm just dumb, but why do I need tactical training, or why do I need to practice tactical maneuvers? I'm not on SWAT. I'm not law enforcement. I will NEVER engage an invading force with a number of armed combatants in a live-fire situation, so why would I use my time and resources to persue those recreationally?

Its up to you to decide what is the best training value. For most folks that's going to be unarmed techniques and pistol work. For some this may include carbine work. Either way, people are always looking for less expensive ways to train.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I watched the vid from the OP. There was a lot of emphasis put using AirSoft in tactical training. Maybe I'm just dumb, but why do I need tactical training, or why do I need to practice tactical maneuvers? I'm not on SWAT. I'm not law enforcement. I will NEVER engage an invading force with a number of armed combatants in a live-fire situation, so why would I use my time and resources to persue those recreationally? Is it just that, just something fun to do? I feel the same way about the recent AR-15 craze. EVERYBODY has to have an AR. Are they just something else fun to shoot?

For a lot of people on here it is practical - lots of LEO and Military.

But for others - need has nothing to do with it.:cool::D:rockwoot:

You saved you post with your last sentence. :ar15:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    "Tactical" is pretty general term. Using a firearm to defend yourself is about more than being able to shoot.

Top Bottom