• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Any one see a problem doing this? We are purchasing a new home in an area where legal to shoot. there are a lot of trees I want to clear so was wondering why I could not just scoop out a section with the front loader and use the downed trees cut up and stack the cut trees that wll be about 24 inches around and use them to build a three sided structure anround the pit?

Thoughts

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Sounds like a winner to me. Only problem I see is over time (5+ years) the trees will rot and have to be replaced. Then they will be full of lead as well and the EPA would be all over that!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'd sell the logs and use dirt.

^^^^^^this

Unless you have just absolute junk, most decent logs you could use as a backstop are going to be more valuable as lumber. If it's only a small quantity of logs you can sell them to the Amish, or have someone with a portable mill come and mill them on your site and then use the lumber for various projects or sell it and make a profit.

I bought my mill in '93 and it opened my eyes as to the value of my trees.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    The trees will degrade as you shoot into them, repetitively in the same spot. Dirt will fall into the space the bullets pass through, Kind of like the "self healing" targets. I don't care how thick the trees are, enough shots into the same spot with a rifle and the bullets WILL pass through. Dirt, not so much.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    ^^^^^^this

Unless you have just absolute junk, most decent logs you could use as a backstop are going to be more valuable as lumber. If it's only a small quantity of logs you can sell them to the Amish, or have someone with a portable mill come and mill them on your site and then use the lumber for various projects or sell it and make a profit.

I bought my mill in '93 and it opened my eyes as to the value of my trees.

I used a woodmizer out in Montana on some ponderosa pine. It's an incredible feeling to make 8x12 40' beams. Those have GOT to be pricey to purchase.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Fell the trees, stack them in a 3-sided box, then use your front loader to fill the box with dirt.
    The trees will still rot away over time, but it will take a while if you're not shooting directly into them.

My brother made a short range (50 yards) in his side yard after I gave him an AR15. He built what I described above with used rail road ties, then filled it with dirt.

3 years later and we have still not gotten to the rail ties yet.
    Dirt is a MUCH better backstop than trees for long term shooting.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Top Bottom