• ...and so much more!
  • chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    MCFG Members,
    At our last Board Meeting the Board approved some trees and erosion control fabric to minimize the erosion around the creek. I'm not a landscaping expert, so I'm trying to figure out the following:

1) What are the best deciduous trees to plant that will grow large and stabilize the soil.
    2) What are the best conifers we could plant that are hearty and will grow large? I'm thinking Colorado Blue Spruce, but am open to suggestions
    3) Where would you buy them locally?
    4) Where should we buy erosion control netting (like plastic mesh with straw woven into it).

Thanks for the help on this project.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the help! One of our members (John Cole) offered to get us pricing on some mixed fescue (good for erosion control), the erosion control netting, and a few trees. We're short on volunteers that can do the leg work (calling DNR, planting trees, etc.) so we'll likely need to pay a landscaping company to do this work for us.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the help! One of our members (John Cole) offered to get us pricing on some mixed fescue (good for erosion control), the erosion control netting, and a few trees. We're short on volunteers that can do the leg work (calling DNR, planting trees, etc.) so we'll likely need to pay a landscaping company to do this work for us.

Might want to call Berger Hargis. The owner lives in my subdivision and is a shooter. His name is Chris Hargis. I believe that the general manager is also a shooter and a member at MCF&G as I spoke to him coming out of the range one day when I was going in. They are a local landscaping company, and are shooters, etc. I'd bet they give you a good rate on the work. I've had them do a few things and they do good work.

Actually now that I think of it, John, may be the general manager. I don't recall the name, but thought it was John.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Might want to call Berger Hargis. The owner lives in my subdivision and is a shooter. His name is Chris Hargis. I believe that the general manager is also a shooter and a member at MCF&G as I spoke to him coming out of the range one day when I was going in. They are a local landscaping company, and are shooters, etc. I'd bet they give you a good rate on the work.

Actually now that I think of it, John, may be the general manager. I don't recall the name, but thought it was John.

Done. John is the guy you were thinking of.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Soil and water is another good resource. Marion SWCD

Try and stay with native species in your plantings as they will require less maintenance in the future. White pines would be a good choice for an evergreen but is not too tolerate to wet soils. Bald cypress would be a great choice in wet conditions but it is deciduous. Blue spruce will require annual spraying for mites and gets quite expensive.

Top Bottom