• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I tend to use this technique, but sometimes, as I go faster, I get into this awkward cadence where I break the shot immediately after reset-- almost like a reverse trigger pull. It feels too rushed. I think my reset needs better timing.

Dave feel free to comment or critique my trigger control here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCMIl96EYcI

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I find myself doing something very similar at speed. As long as the hits are where they need to be consistently and repeatabley, I think that's the goal.

When I shoot from a bipod, my support hand is on the corresponding bipod leg. It's easier to reposition or drive the gun to another target. I know you weren't there, but something to think about.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Pin and release works great for precision shots ... if you do it right. Unfortunately, as soon as the trigger reaches the end of its travel, that's when bad things can happen. I learned this technique back in 2002, and my marksmanship suffered for a long time because I couldn't stop moving the gun after the trigger bottomed out.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Tuning any overtravel adjustment is help so that by the time the sights lift in recoil, the trigger is still in free movement to the overtravel stop.

Unfortunately, as soon as the trigger reaches the end of its travel, that's when bad things can happen. I learned this technique back in 2002, and my marksmanship suffered for a long time because I couldn't stop moving the gun after the trigger bottomed out.

This is why I'm not a fan of limiting over travel. I thought it was the hot ticket when I first got started cause that's what everyone said made a trigger nice, but I found it hindered vs helped my accuracy. I set my guns up w/ as much overtravel as possible. I want the sear to be the only resistance I notice.

sometimes, as I go faster, I get into this awkward cadence where I break the shot immediately after reset-- almost like a reverse trigger pull. It feels too rushed. I think my reset needs better timing.

This is why I like some pretravel between the reset point and the sear releasing, and why I'm not a fan of the "riding the reset" technique. I'm of the opinion that if you think your reset technique needs improved, then you are thinking too much about the reset. It has zero affect on breaking a clean shot. Reset is so emphasized these days, but it's nothing more than getting the trigger in a position you can focus on another shot....

The amount of over-travel and reset and pretravel has ZERO affect on how fast you can work the trigger.

-rvb

heisman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Some great points here. I took a hand gun shooting course (24hours) of training from Glock with my newly purchased Glock 22. Shooting all my life, I thought I was good, found out I wasn't ;-). They taught a similar release travel only to the reset point, helped greatly in my accuracy. On trigger pull they had me put a dime on my front sight with an empty gun and practice squeezing the trigger without dumping the dime off, these were the two best tips for me. They also said smooth is fast in all the functions of shooting. Thanks

Top Bottom