• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I have been read a thread on the Ruger MK II vs MK III. I almost answered get a MK II because the MK III has the internal lock. But after reading the thread I got to thinking about my fear of this kind of lock.
    So, my question is have you or anybody you know ever had these kind of locks fail? Not just on the Rugers but any hand gun by any maker. I'm just trying to see if my dislike of them is founded or not.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have S&W revolvers and a Taurus 1911 with trigger locks and I have not had any issues with them. I just make sure they are "unlocked" and then I put the keys back in the box. The only gun with an internal lock that has ever given me any trouble is the lock on a Davey Cricket. It is a plunger type lock that does not require a key to activate but it does require a key to unlock.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I have a Ruger MK III 22/45 and a Taurus 45 semi auto. Neither has ever given me any issues at all. I have probably close to 10K rounds through the Ruger. I haven't shot the Taurus much at all though.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a Taurus 1911. I turned the hammer lock to unlocked and squirted lock-tite into the mechanism to keep it there. I'm sure the key could turn it to lock, but I'm equally sure it will stay unlocked until then.
    However, my son has a S&W J-frame with a lock that has locked up for him at the range.
    I don't like locks because some people will think the lock makes the gun "safe." There is NO SAFE GUN, only safe gun-handlers.
    To quote the NRA manual, "A safety is a mechanical device which can fail." A lock is the same thing.

Doug

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I don't like locks because some people will think the lock makes the gun "safe." There is NO SAFE GUN, only safe gun-handlers.
    To quote the NRA manual, "A safety is a mechanical device which can fail." A lock is the same thing.

Can't think of a better way to put it!

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I don't think the OP is asking opinions on if guns should have them or if they are a good idea or safe. I think what he's asking is if a gun having one is a reason to avoid buying the gun? Do the locks fail?

Given a choice of 2 equal guns, one with a lock and the other without. Choose the one without. But if a gun you want has lock, I don't see that as being a show stopper.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't think the OP is asking opinions on if guns should have them or if they are a good idea or safe. I think what he's asking is if a gun having one is a reason to avoid buying the gun? Do the locks fail?

Given a choice of 2 equal guns, one with a lock and the other without. Choose the one without. But if a gun you want has lock, I don't see that as being a show stopper.

For a range-only gun, buy it either with or without.

Some of the locks can, and do, fail and they should not be relied on to make the gun safe.

A gun which may be used for defense should not, in my opinion, have a working internal lock. And if I couldn't reliably defeat the lock, it would, for me, be a deal breaker (for a defensive firearm).
    Your opinion may be different...
    Doug

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Agreed. Since he was asking specifically about Ruger Mk II and III, I was assuming it would not be for ccw. But that is spot on about defensive ccw guns.

Top Bottom