• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My daughter is looking to buy her first pistol and she has an idea of what she wants. What I'm trying to help with is finding a good gun shop in the Louisville area. I know where there are some around Indy but I'm clueless for the Louisville area. Could someone that lives around that area let me know of any gun shop that she may get a good deal and also treated right. She doesn't know very much about guns so would like the shop to be a little lady friendly. Thanks for the help in advance.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hate to say it, but you should take the time to go down with her. Way too many gun shop employees have bad attitudes where women are concerned and will treat them poorly. Be there to keep them in line. Or invite her up to your area and go to some decent shop you know.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    My Daughter (w/ help from me and my friends) ... is in the looking, testing, purchasing stage ... (LTCH just received) ...
    I would definitely go with her; and try to help adviser her - not influence - but advise or have a friend that she trusts and knows guns go along. Also, have her handle what she thinks she likes, and what she doesn't; and borrow (or rent) some models to learn/test ... the way they shoot will matter; especialy if the goal is to train and carry it every day.

Sorry no knowledge of stores that far south though. - well other than Bass Pro; BUT that might be good for a wide selection of getting your hands on stuff to see what you like ... no idea on prices, service or anything - been too long since I've been in.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    IME few are what I would call "lady friendly." That's not to say they aren't friendly to the women, but rather they will jump in to suggesting certain guns over others but then have little to no experience actually going to range with various women to help them learn to shoot for the first time.

Suggesting guns that are too big, too heavy of triggers, which don't have solid rear sights, etc. may not seem like a big deal to an experienced shooter, but women (especially beginners) are much more "picky" (for lack of better term). They want to "feel comfortable" with the gun and often that's NOT the gun the gun shop guy recommends. :twocents:

I would recommend getting her to a range with someone and trying out a variety of them for herself to see what she likes. Then go find that at a shop.

Top Bottom