• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Bought the media several years ago and don't know if it's corn cob or walnut shells. It's green in color, seems to take a long time to clean. Anyone know what it is ?

Thanks

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Yes it is more aggressive I would say and I find that I can get a lot more use out of it before replacing it compared to corn cob material. Like most things though everyone has a favorite, give it a try and use the one you like best.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    walnut can be dusty, whereas corn cob isn't. Another option is stainless media, but it needs a rotary tumbler to use. Aggressive and polished. I use both SS and corn cob.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    One other thing, depending on how much brass you've cleaned and how it's store the media may have reached the end of it's useful life. You may want to try and rejuvenate it by adding some media polish and letting it run for 10 minutes or so to mix it in and see if that helps cut down the time.

If it was me I would replace it with untreated media, I prefer corn cob, and then add the media polish of my choice. I like Fitz, after a couple of hours the cases come out with a high shine, (easier to find in the grass).

This is what I use Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaning Media Corn Cob 7 lb Bag - MidwayUSA and Flitz Brass Case Polish 7.6 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    I have a question about corncob media, is the corncob that you get from pet stores the same grind as the tumbling media? I am thinking about buying some walnut shell stuff, but was wondering about the cob, is it the same?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i use walnut cleans much better than corn cob......if you want shiny brass and no dust just get some cheapo liquid car polish and add a tablespoon or 2....to keep it clean 1 cut up dry sheet in each batch....

here is where i get mine....

Fine Grade Walnut Shell Blast Media - Harbor Freight Tools

here they are fresh from the tumbler....

kbd190.jpg

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I have a question about corncob media, is the corncob that you get from pet stores the same grind as the tumbling media? I am thinking about buying some walnut shell stuff, but was wondering about the cob, is it the same?

The stuff I see at the pet stores is a coarser grind than the 20/40 stuff.

Top Bottom