• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    In the market for a new 55"+ led TV, and it looks like there's quite a few out there in my price range ($800 or less), but quite a few are refurbished, mostly from Tiger Direct. Anyone on this site by a refurb online? Obviously, warranties are shorter; couple of months vs a year for new, but I can get a little more for my dollar this way. Smart or 3D doesn't matter to me, I have other devices that can get me online. What are your thoughts or refurb vs new?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I won't buy a refurbished unit unless it comes with the "new" warranty. That is just me and I've never had an issue to actually need it but that's just the way I am.

Have you gone to any of the local stores and looked for an open box deal?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Save your money and get the new. Or get a smaller one.
    Unless you can get the warranty like Brandon said.

LED tvs, especially an older TV can start to lose small pixels. Won't notice at first, and it takes a while.
    But buying a used TV means you might start to see it.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I bought my Vizio 40" Refurb from Amazon. Same warranty as new and a year later zero issues...saved $200 or so as I recall. I would buy refurb again...but make sure you read the fine print.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I just bought a 47" LG in store for 548. Only downside is it only has 2 HDMI and no wifi. BUT it's 1080p and has a 120Hz refresh. Woot.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I'm currently looking at a 55" Samsung with 1080 and 120hz for $799. I'd do smaller, but I just got a house with a massive (15x20') living room, and I need a telescope to see my 32". 55" seems like the biggest size that is "affordable". I almost bought a 60" sharp, but it was not led backlit and heavy.

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Actually refurb's have been looked at individually by the manufacture to be repaired and tested. New ones are not always looked at so carefully because they use test samples.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Actually refurb's have been looked at individually by the manufacture to be repaired and tested. New ones are not always looked at so carefully because they use test samples.

While I get what you are saying I do not think that is all true.
    I think most of these returned units go to some repair shop that fixes them that works on many brands. I would also think that the repair shops only fix what needs to be fixed; only fixing what is broken, not necessarily fixing the cause of what needs fixing.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I bought a refurb DLP in 2005. Original lamp, runs great.
    The one that just bit the dust was a 50" Toshiba DLP. Replaced the bulb 3 times, and now either the light engine or the color wheel went out. Figured rather than trying to repair a dated TV I would spend a bit more and get a better one.

I am very happy I did. Not nearly as much heat from the LED :)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I just bought a 47" LG in store for 548. Only downside is it only has 2 HDMI and no wifi. BUT it's 1080p and has a 120Hz refresh. Woot.
    I bought a 47" LG as well. All the bells and whistles. Just a few weeks past the one year warranty it went out.

Did you know LG is the former company Goldstar? Neither did I. Hope you bought the extended warranty.

OP...I wouldn't buy a refurb unless it has a new warranty with a considerable discount.

Top Bottom