• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    To make a long story short, my uncle passed away unexpectedly the saturday before last. He hunted, but never shot much in the time he was married to my aunt (6 years). After the funeral my aunt asked if i would be willing to take his guns to put in my safe untill further notice as she works nights and doesn't have any way to secure them in the house. Thinking he only had a few (my safe's almost full now) i agreed.

I showed up at her house yesterday morning and we talked a while before she led me to the computer/gun room. When i walk in i realize i'm gonna have to make some room in the safe as there was about 4 times as many as i expected, and she thought there were a few more. She went on to say that she'll never do anything with them and since neither one of them had any kids but wanted to keep them in the family i could have them.

I've never been that close to this side of the family, holidays and birthdays are the extent of it. And honestly i didn't feel right taking them all so i asked my aunt if he had any family/close friends that would enjoy some of them. Needless to say, i thanked her, my safe is packed, and i did as my aunt asked but it still feels wierd. :dunno:

I spent about six hours last night cleaning some of them as it looks like they've been in a closet for years. Some have some slight surface rust, most are filthy dirty but they'll be shining in a few weeks. I told her if she ever wants to learn to shoot them or wants any of them back all she has to do is ask, but in the meantime they'll have a good home.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    All hunting rifles? handguns? Older stuff? Just curious.... Good for you to try and ask if there was someone closer and even better of you to follow your Aunts directions! Get em looking sharp!!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting scenario, and not sure how I'd handle it either. On the one hand there is the immediate "Jack Pot" thought in my head, but that is countered by the "Now What" side of things, especially since you don't really have that tight of a relationship with them.

I'd probably keep them for a while and then see about culling the heard a bit. Sell what you probably won't use or don't want in the collection, and keep those that you do want and will use. If you feel guilty about the $$, you can give some of it back to your aunt or to a charity that your uncle would have supported.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Better to you than to have her drop them off at the local
    police dept. or a pawn shop where she would get nothing
    or about 10%. Like you said, they are safe with you and
    available if she ever should want them or a portion of them back.
    Also, they will be taken care of and used properly with you.
    Don't sweat it.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    All hunting rifles? handguns? Older stuff? Just curious.... Good for you to try and ask if there was someone closer and even better of you to follow your Aunts directions! Get em looking sharp!!

Mostly hunting stuff... shotguns, .22's, muzzleloaders but a few handguns as well.

Interesting scenario, and not sure how I'd handle it either. On the one hand there is the immediate "Jack Pot" thought in my head, but that is countered by the "Now What" side of things, especially since you don't really have that tight of a relationship with them.

I'd probably keep them for a while and then see about culling the heard a bit. Sell what you probably won't use or don't want in the collection, and keep those that you do want and will use. If you feel guilty about the $$, you can give some of it back to your aunt or to a charity that your uncle would have supported.

Great idea! He was big into the AWL and NRA (loved dogs and guns!) I'll look into that.

Better to you than to have her drop them off at the local
    police dept. or a pawn shop where she would get nothing
    or about 10%. Like you said, they are safe with you and
    available if she ever should want them or a portion of them back.
    Also, they will be taken care of and used properly with you.
    Don't sweat it.

I'll be selling his truck for her too. She asked if i'd take it around to local dealerships to sell it, but i told her i'd just sell it outright and she'd be much better off.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    No reason to feel bad. If she said she wanted you to have them, so be it. As others have said better you have them than they be destroyed.

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    First of all, condolences for your family's loss.

I don't want to seem cold-hearted or anything but I'd seriously consider putting something in writing. Just something simple like a list of serial numbers and a short statement regarding transfer of ownership and get her signature on it. You could explain to her that it would be just a formality and its just as much for her protection as well. That way if any of these weapons were to ever get stolen and used in a crime, she could never be held responsible for anything. Also, it would formalize your ownership. I realize you told her she was welcome to claim them in the future, but the future is impossible to predict. She could verbally give you permission to sell them and then demand compensation later. Not trying to imply anything negative about your aunt or you at all. Just playing devil's advocate. :twocents:

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    First of all, condolences for your family's loss.

I don't want to seem cold-hearted or anything but I'd seriously consider putting something in writing. Just something simple like a list of serial numbers and a short statement regarding transfer of ownership and get her signature on it. You could explain to her that it would be just a formality and its just as much for her protection as well. That way if any of these weapons were to ever get stolen and used in a crime, she could never be held responsible for anything. Also, it would formalize your ownership. I realize you told her she was welcome to claim them in the future, but the future is impossible to predict. She could verbally give you permission to sell them and then demand compensation later. Not trying to imply anything negative about your aunt or you at all. Just playing devil's advocate. :twocents:

Already done, it was her idea. I gave her all of my info while i was there, she's going to the lawyer this week to get P.O.A. over what wasn't in their names.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I would have a hard time selling , I think. If I were to sell any, I would offer ALL proceeds to her AND offer a fair price for EVERY gun! Just my two cents!

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    I posted on your Rep, but I need to put it out there for everyone.

Death is hard, even harder for the living. I maybe only 24, but I have seen loved ones come and go. Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, even my Father. Death brings out horrible things in people. Sick and twisted thought of possessions, who dissevers what and how things will be divided.

This situation has be handled impressively well by everyone. I applaud you and your Aunt for taking care of his possessions with dignity and respect.

Top Bottom