• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would agree with you if this was a seat of the pants type thing... just chuck a spear at a bear.

It couldn't be further from the truth. The guy, Josh Bowmar, competed in the javelin at the collegiate level. According to the accounts I've read, he trained and practiced with the spear to establish ethical distances to ensure an on target kill, much like ALL ethical hunters do. Apparently, in the full video of the hunt, he passed on at least one bear prior because the distance/presentation didn't offer an ethical target.

Finally, the bear was recovered 60 yards away with wounds through the vitals. It died literally seconds after being speared.

To me, this hunt was no different than any other "primitive" hunt, be it archery, flint, etc. The hunter prepared properly and executed ethically. And, yes, they did eat the bear meat... bear fajitas the next night according to Twitter.
    Agreed. I'd heard this guy wasn't just chucking a pointy stick at the animal.
    Exactly
    The anti-hunters claim that hunters have an unfair advantage with our scoped MOA-capable rifles, saying that a "real man" would use a knife or a spear to hunt, so Mr. Bowmar uses...a spear, and (surprise, surprise) the anti-hunters have a total cow and harangue UA into dropping a sponsorship over a spear hunt.
    These SJW twits should be routinely ignored and ridiculed, and the sooner that that becomes SOP, the better off we will all be.
    Agreed. Make up your minds! And yes, laughter should probably be used more when these people talk.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was cool on the baseball field. The first pair of Nikes my parents actually bought me were cleats. I really didn't car about tennis shoes. I wore Zips, Roos, and Chucks (they were cheap then). It wasn't until around the 7th grade that I found out how "uncool" I was. I wanted penny loafers or Bass saddle shoes (its a Southern thing), but at $50+ my parents were like "You can get shoes at Payless." :(
    I know what you mean about the 7th grade. That's about when I too realized buying your school clothes off a certain rack (probably the clearance sale rack), down at the no-name, dollar store, wasn't where the cool kids were buying their stuff. The first pair of Nikes I got, I bought myself and I'm not sure mom and dad would have had the money for me to play organized sports...they never tried to get us to play.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I know what you mean about the 7th grade. That's about when I too realized buying your school clothes off a certain rack (probably the clearance sale rack), down at the no-name, dollar store, wasn't where the cool kids were buying their stuff. The first pair of Nikes I got, I bought myself and I'm not sure mom and dad would have had the money for me to play organized sports...they never tried to get us to play.

Similar experience here... when I asked for leather Nikes like the cool kids were wearing, IIRC they cost 3-4x canvas tennis shoes, the answer was simply, "No, if you want them badly enough, you'll save and buy them yourself." Which I did by saving my lawn-mowing money... I wore those Nikes for years until they literally fell apart. Lol!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would never spear hunt. But we can not start deciding for other people how they may hunt. All hunters have to stick together or our rights will fall apart as they divide us into small unimportant groups. I have known gun hunters over the years that didn't approve of bow hunting. I have known some bow hunters that looked down their nose at gun hunters. So we all have to respect each others ways of hunting. We certainly can't allow the folks that would see all hunting outlawed push corporations that make a lot of their money off of hunters into anti-hunting positions without paying a price.

Top Bottom