• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Well I was hesitant to post this update as to a large sense of embarassment whether warranted or not, that I had somehow allowed my home to catch on fire. I mean no matter how much of an innocent or freakish type accident it was, it happened on my watch at my house and I am responsible.

Yesterday I succeeded in annealing the Craftsman hatchet head for the first time. The simple yet extremely effective makeshift forge I constructed did an outstanding job at heating steel. I posted update and pics yesterday as soon as I had achieved an annealed state. I had achieved something! I was excited! My forge was really freakin puttin out the heat and I knew that I would be hammerin a hawk head in no time. I took a minute and posted my update on INGO. I then left the forge area to go to the back of my house and retrieve a vice/anvil and some blacksmith leather gloves. Upon my returning to the site of my forge I happend to out of the corner of my eye see a small flame behind my gutter at side of porch. The opposite side of my porch from where I had my fire set up.

I dropped my anvil and I guess instinctually blew the small flame out. Then I noticed that smoke was coming up from behind my siding and quite a bit. I ran inside to assess the fire and found no flames in the interior structure. Ran back outside and in the one minute I was gone the smoke had already increased substantially. I ran and grabbed my hose which is 10 yards from where this fire had begun, FROZEN.

I made that call, that call that I cant believe I had to make, the one where I dial 911 and say "Hey my house is on fire and I need help." I knew it was a short matter of time before the fire behind my siding reached cieling joices and that this could go real real bad real real fast. I am going to say it seemed like it took Clarksville fire three minutes to arrive on scene. They got here quick, real quick and I know that in this particular situation that minutes is all it would have taken to potentially have been a devestating house fire. When they first grabbed the chainsaw off the truck I wanted to say, " Hey now, really, is that neccessary" but I quickly chose to stay out of their way and let them do what they do. Im not a fireman and I didnt want to pretend that I have any idea what is right or wrong course of action in a fire situation compared to one.

Well they got the fire out obviously. Im about to call my homeowners and see about getting an agent over here to discuss my options. I am extremely lucky that I happened to notice that flame when I did and that the Clarksville fire department was not playing games yesterday but taking care of business.

I guess that my need of power for shop vac blower caused me to probably set that forge up a little close to the house. The problem I thnk was that I had that blower going combined with relative distance to home and an ember got blown loose and found its one in a million bed of dead dry material and spark.

The fire issue caused me to forget about hatchet which was in forge with blower on

2013-01-09092253.jpg

it melted to a mere fraction of its original glory

This is what stole my attention from my work on hawk

2013-01-09092032.jpg

2013-01-09092123.jpg

Where I think the perfect coal fragment met its perfect bed of highly flamable organic material. Also there was a gutter partially obscureing this gap in porch so it was not nearly as open as now.

2013-01-09092101.jpg

Yes I am extremely lucky and I thank God that things were caught and managed so quickly. I am appreciative of the fact that it could have been much worse. Now having said that, This is my house, my families home, and its a pretty serious eyesore to say the least. I mean its not a broken window or just a cracked couple pieces of siding. Its a pretty big deal to me as it sits.

Thanks and God Bless INGO!!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Thank God for Your quick action & the fire department. We all sometimes have been guilty of cutting corners thinking that we are making it easier on ourselves when in reality we are not. At least it didn't smolder and burn your whole house down hours later

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Thank God you saw that first smoke and caught it early! And thank God for fast aggressive firefighting firefighters! Bad luck man but could have ended much much worse.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Thank God you saw that first smoke and caught it early! And thank God for fast aggressive firefighting firefighters! Bad luck man but could have ended much much worse.

This and for having the smarts to get out of the way of the firefighters doing their job. Prayers for a speedy return to normal of your house.

El T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Fishers
    Thanks for sharing!
    It takes a lot to post our mistakes, but like was said previously....we're all going to re-check our homemade set-ups for anything.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Okay, kudo's for having the cojones to admit to this, and post it. This is going to help us all remember safety first!
    I hope it goes well for you from here out.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Man that does stink. I am glad it was not worse, which it could have easily been. I hope you get everything fixed back up in short order. It has already been said, but thanks for stepping up and posting this. We all need reminders on safety.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow... Damn. I'm glad you caught that in time, and the FD got there as quick as they did. That could have turned very badly very quickly.

Sometimes it sucks learning things the hard way.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    Go ahead and make a knife blade from the remains of that hatchet; it will be a knife with "a story".

What did the fire dept have to say about your backyard fire/forge/blowers ?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Go ahead and make a knife blade from the remains of that hatchet; it will be a knife with "a story".

Probably doesn't have enough carbon left in it to harden into an edge. I'd keep it as a reminder though of how easy it is to overheat steel. Power fans on a forge can catch up on you quick.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Thanks guys

I really appreciate everyones best wishes! I mean I really do appreciate them!

If anyone knows a trustworthy, professional and honest carpenter/siding guy or company down this way right outside Louisville please let me know. I got burned one time with a crew I hired to do some renovation work when alot of expensive stuff came up missing one day. I dont know anyone personally and an INGO member voucher is all I need to schedule an appointment with him.

Please PM any details should you have some information

Top Bottom