• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Had some major problems with my nearly new Kel-Tec pf9 as was discussed here:

[thread=180414]Kel Tec PF9 Major Failure at Range[/thread]​

In summary my pf9 experienced failure to extract and a loosening of the extractor spring screw (which also secures the firing pin) which resulted in a retropulsion of the firing pin.

I did not send it to Kel-Tec as recommended. I ordered then replaced the extractor and extractor spring and replaced the plastic guide rod with the metal version (I'm not sure why I did that ... just didn't like the plastic one).

Then off the to the Clark State Forestry Gun Range:
    I decided to try some different loads. Found out that my gun loves Remmington Golden Sabers, 147 grain. No failures in 50 rounds (my palm did not like so much). When I used the cheap, white box 119 grain Winchesters, I had 2 failures to extract in 25 rounds (less than before).

Not a scientific experiment, but in summary I believe that my gun just likes expensive things ... just like my wife. I'm satisfied with the performance for what role this pistol serves (deep conceal).

Ok, now on to bigger and better things.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good to hear.

Man, I'll take every one of those PF9s from people in that Kel-Tec bashing post. Yes, there are some issues but most of it comes down to the machining. Just a few polish jobs here & there and mine is 100% reliable. Kel-Tec replaced several things like the mag & slide release for free. Their service is excellent & I'd own more of them.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Good to hear.

Man, I'll take every one of those PF9s from people in that Kel-Tec bashing post. Yes, there are some issues but most of it comes down to the machining. Just a few polish jobs here & there and mine is 100% reliable. Kel-Tec replaced several things like the mag & slide release for free. Their service is excellent & I'd own more of them.

I've got a better opinion of them myself. I noticed today that it's a nice little shooter and was able to draw down on my intended target very well. I love the weight and the minimal profile in my pocket. I'm keeping mine.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Keep an eye on that extractor screw. It may loosen up again after firing a few rounds. Put a drop of blue or purple Locktite [non-permanant] on the threads. Also, check out www.ktog.org for anything and everything Kel Tec.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I wouldn't doubt that after a couple hundred Golden Sabres that thing will eat anything....
    I carry Golden Sabres in my LCP and am very fond of them....

Jetrefz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i have had different experiences with keltecs and have sworn off them...either they are really good or really bad. My buddy at work had so many failures to fire with one of his that he sent it back to the factory and it worked good after they "chamfered" the firing pin hole. it also looked liked they sandblasted the underside of the top of the gun. The other one he had would not eject anything but +p hollow points

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I carry Golden sabres in my P-11 only mag problems, gun loves them, and the bad mag met the butt of my Mosin and got tossed out! Glad to hear the problems sems to be solved.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I had issues with Winchester as well in my PF9. Federal champion runs like a champ. Now though I reload, so I do not have to worry about it.

Top Bottom