• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Just saw this. What kind of twisted logic is it that the Feds think that they supersede the states because of the constitution, but infringing on gun rights is fine.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Seems to me that all Missouri had to do was state that state law enforcement is not allowed to enforce federal firearms laws, or even certain federal firearms laws.

It didn't do that. The law purports to declare certain a federal laws unconstitutional under the United States Constitution, then goes on to state that state law enforcement cannot enforce these laws because they are unconstitutional.

States have no authority to declare federal law unconstitutional under the Supremacy Clause. Thus, when they tied the ban on law enforcement of federal laws to the invalid (and illegal) declaration of unconstitutionality, they doomed the law.

The end they wanted could have been achieved had the law been written to achieve that end rather than for grandstanding. States do not have to participate in the enforcement of federal laws. If that's what you want, say that and only that.

[ETA] There is room to argue about whether the declaration of unconstitutionality is "severable", that is, whether the part that violates the Supremacy Clause can be struck down leaving the ban on enforcing federal law intact, but it seems pretty interconnected. When that is the case, it's hard to treat the parts separately.

Yes, I read the decision.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Seems to me that all Missouri had to do was state that state law enforcement is not allowed to enforce federal firearms laws, or even certain federal firearms laws.

It didn't do that. The law purports to declare certain a federal laws unconstitutional under the United States Constitution, then goes on to state that state law enforcement cannot enforce these laws because they are unconstitutional.

States have no authority to declare federal law unconstitutional under the Supremacy Clause. Thus, when they tied the ban on law enforcement of federal laws to the invalid (and illegal) declaration of unconstitutionality, they doomed the law.

The end they wanted could have been achieved had the law been written to achieve that end rather than for grandstanding. States do not have to participate in the enforcement of federal laws. If that's what you want, say that and only that.

[ETA] There is room to argue about whether the declaration of unconstitutionality is "severable", that is, whether the part that violates the Supremacy Clause can be struck down leaving the ban on enforcing federal law intact, but it seems pretty interconnected. When that is the case, it's hard to treat the parts separately.

As always, thank you for your professional input! :ingo:

I think you should send them this info, with a bill for the legal advice. :)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

iKKR7HK.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Does Article VI declare that all federal laws are the supreme law of the land?
    Or the Constitution “and laws of the United States made in pursuance thereof” are the supreme law of the land?

Obviously not all federal law is constitutional.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If they made a law invalidating federal authority on it why wouldn’t they invalidate the court ruling? I mean, if yer gonna go for nullification, go for it or stay home.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL

I agree with this. What they tried to do is pass a preemptive gun law to block future Federal overreach but they let Politics get in the way, as James stated.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    The 10th amendment seems pretty clear to me. I feel like the original intent of the 10th amendment would prohibit around 90% of what the federal government does.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Now do trans and illegal "sanctuary" states that refuse to cooperate with federal authorities or warrants from other states.

Top Bottom