Use of telecommunications device while driving.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Ok, now that I've boned up on my reading comprehension,
    The bill says that it is illegal to:
    type, transmit, or read a text message or electronic mail message while operating a moving motor vehicle
    And that:
    "telecommunications device" does not include: (1) amateur radio equipment operated by a person licensed by the Federal Communications Commission as an amateur radio operator; or (2) a communications system installed in a commercial vehicle weighing more than 10,000 pounds
    Now, I'm not a ham operator, but I wasn't aware that you could send a text or e-mail via ham or CB radio.
    Also, how is a CB in a tractor trailer not a "telecommunications device" but the motorola in my suburban is?
    I don't understand, but it is early morning.:dunno:

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    All I have to say is that texting while driving laws have shown in some studies to INCREASE accidents. The people who are going to text are going to do it anyway. So in order not to get caught they now have to keep their phones lower and look away from the road more than they typically would have to.

I do have to admit, I have text while driving and not driven as straight as I should of. But I now have a window mount for my phone and send short texts all the time with no problem since I can see the road while I do it. If I were to text with my phone on my lap to avoid being caught, I wouldn't be able to focus on the road at all even with peripheral vision.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There are SO MANY things that can and do distract people from driving - even eating a burger and fries. Singling out cell phones and such, like this, is bad policy imho.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, according to this bill, I can still:
    - surf the web while driving (INGO @ 55 MPH!)
    - update Facebook
    - Scroll through my contact list
    - send a video or picture message (not text)
    - check sports scores
    - check the news
    - Read an electronic book
    - watch a youtube clip
    - etc....

As long as it isn't text or email? This bill doesn't seem to actually do much.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I can't remember where it was, but seems to me, I remember an article about a 16 year-old girl who died in an auto accident. They found her cell phone on the floor, with a text message in progress.

If you're gonna drive....... drive. Don't roll the dice on whether or not today is the day your inattentiveness will kill someone..... It's too bad that many times, it's the innocent drivers who pay the price .....

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I cant even text while sitting at my desk (technologically impaired :)). but I dont care to either. i think text is a way for people to socially disconnect. maybe a way for people to say things they couldn't say in person or even by voice on the phone. but thats ok i understand. I just dont think government should AGAIN be telling us what we can or cant do. cant parents control their own kids? cant an adult be responsible enough to be safe? and if not then its on them. this law like many others is BS and a way just for politicians to use powers I dont believe they are granted, to hush the people. even if the majority of the people want this, it still does not make it right. I am against this.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I cant even text while sitting at my desk (technologically impaired :)). but I dont care to either. i think text is a way for people to socially disconnect. maybe a way for people to say things they couldn't say in person or even by voice on the phone. but thats ok i understand. I just dont think government should AGAIN be telling us what we can or cant do. cant parents control their own kids? cant an adult be responsible enough to be safe? and if not then its on them. this law like many others is BS and a way just for politicians to use powers I dont believe they are granted, to hush the people. even if the majority of the people want this, it still does not make it right. I am against this.

Totally agree with this. Government, STOP with the damn babysitting; STOP taking away our choices in the name of saving us from ourselves.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ok, now that I've boned up on my reading comprehension,
    The bill says that it is illegal to:

And that:

Now, I'm not a ham operator, but I wasn't aware that you could send a text or e-mail via ham

Yes, yes you can. It's something called packet radio. And the only time I have ever sent a text message or email from my vehicle (or ever since I don't text) while it was moving was via ham radio, in the early days when APRS first came out. I quickly concluded that it was a stupid thing to do because it took so much attention away from driving.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Yes, yes you can. It's something called packet radio. And the only time I have ever sent a text message or email from my vehicle (or ever since I don't text) while it was moving was via ham radio, in the early days when APRS first came out. I quickly concluded that it was a stupid thing to do because it took so much attention away from driving.

I learned something, that makes today a good day. Thank you.:rockwoot:

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Some people can multitask and some cant. I don't think that I care for the government telling me I cant text, surf or read while I am on my phone. If "they" are wanting to do this then it should be illegal to use a GPS system, dash, window or console mounted as well. I have caused no problems so far and law enforcement has a great deal of electronics up and running as well so will there be anything to "make me safer" when in traffic with police?

People are making a big deal out of this (cell phones and texting) but no one is making a stink about the amount of people out there that are on prescription drugs driving here or there, that bothers me.... Some places I can't use my phone while I drive but its ok for the doped up soccer mom or the sad fat teenager on pills to operate a car or truck????????????????????????

At least I can use my HAM radio.

There was a State Supreme Court case somewhere in New England where the State found that HAM radio use did not fall under the same guidelines as cell phones. Glad to see it is being echoed.

This whole issue of "operating a telecommunications device while driving" is just one more example of people not being responsible enough to stop an activity if they cant do it safely, so then what happens..... Of course.. Lets make new laws......

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    First off, almost nobody obeys traffic laws. This certainly won't change that. (Come on now, who comes to a complete halt for stop signs? Who never hammers it for a yellow then catches a little bit of red? I live next to a stop sign, so don't be raising your hand. I see the truth every day.)

Secondly, this law goes in the wrong direction. What we need is a law that bans air bags, seat belts, and crumple zones. It also needs to mandate a six inch, needle sharp spike in the middle of the steering wheel, fired by a shot shell like the one that currently sets off the air bag. Touch something with your vehicle? The spike gets embedded in the driver's seat headrest. (In keeping with the forum's overall theme, perhaps it should be aimed at center of mass...)

We need to put the raw terror back into driving. A slap on the wrist accomplishes nothing. Real consequences breed respect.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    And HAM radio has the original text message interface: CW.

That is Morse Code for you non-hams. CW stands for Carrier Wave, because CW is only broadcasting when you are sending dits or dahs and not during the pauses. So there is only a carrier wave during the actual tones.

I was reading about some guy who does CW while driving. Although, you would need to be pretty good for it not to be a distraction. I don't see how I'd ever be able to do that. But, I look at it like how I used to "type" into my Handspring (Palm OS) with the Graffiti script. I could do the letters without looking at the device at all, so my head was up and concentrating on the road. The problem with text messaging is the focus is all in the cab.

mmaddox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    The exemption for the heavy trucks is for sat based dispatching and locating. Tends to be more reading and a quick key for response. Really can't see how a hands-free device makes some people aware enough to be able to talk while driving, especially when they struggle to be able to focus on driving alone.

Top Bottom