• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    Talking with other shooters and Match directors about this year's Matches the subject of ammo shortage and Match round count came up. What does everyone think about lower round count and less Stages? I prefer to leave the round count 150 ish and maybe 4 field courses and a speed shoot and a classifier. What are your thoughts ? Max

superluckycat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2016
    Madison
    Not sure 35 less rounds will make much of a difference. The folks without much ammo may just not compete at all. But I'm actually looking forward to sending a bunch of lead down range this year after a couple year's of not shooting much.

oldschool1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2020
    midstate
    Talking with other shooters and Match directors about this year's Matches the subject of ammo shortage and Match round count came up. What does everyone think about lower round count and less Stages? I prefer to leave the round count 150 ish and maybe 4 field courses and a speed shoot and a classifier. What are your thoughts ? Max
    Great idea Max. It might make setup and tear down a little easier too.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    I know it costs more to run a match with multiple classifiers, but that might be an option as well. That can help keep the round count down while also offering an incentive for people to come out and shoot.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I know it costs more to run a match with multiple classifiers, but that might be an option as well. That can help keep the round count down while also offering an incentive for people to come out and shoot.

This is a good idea. Limiting the field courses and doing an additional classifier or two would help with setup and soften the impact on ammo a bit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not trying to be a debbie-downer in these troubled times, but folks that travel a distance to come shoot matches are already invested pretty big in time and money just to get there and shoot.

Same match fee on top of triple ammo costs? After all of that, less shooting? :scratch:

Sorry, no answers here. Just wanted to add a perspective.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Round count is a consideration for the more vulnerable shooters. These are the new people or the people with one foot in the pool. These are the people that we need to help grow our sport.

Time is much more so my constraint, but I feel for the guy that has to drop $100 or more in ammo to shoot a match.

Round count doesn’t concern me (as long as it’s in multiples of 8!), but I understand it matters for quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not trying to be a debbie-downer in these troubled times, but folks that travel a distance to come shoot matches are already invested pretty big in time and money just to get there and shoot.

Same match fee on top of triple ammo costs? After all of that, less shooting? :scratch:

Higher or lower round count would not necessarily mean more or less shooting. Classifiers, speed shoots or even lower round count stages with tighter/longer shots mixed in with a couple field courses would still be interesting. Each type of stage if mixed up would make the whole match more challenging and maybe even more interesting. Different types of stages emphasizing different skills.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Higher or lower round count would not necessarily mean more or less shooting. Classifiers, speed shoots or even lower round count stages with tighter/longer shots mixed in with a couple field courses would still be interesting. Each type of stage if mixed up would make the whole match more challenging and maybe even more interesting. Different types of stages emphasizing different skills.
    I'm not knocking anyone. Good for you fine folks who put these on!

Just trying to add some perspective from when the match always includes 2-3 hours of road time and fuel.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through

i’m a total newb (did my first two matches early spring 2020 before the plandemic) and I agree that 30-50 round ‘savings’ is trivial at best.

it’s over an hour drive for me to get to SCGC and almost that long to get to Atlanta. So we’re talking at least $20 in gas...plus match fee. If I’m shooting a match, it’s my ‘me day’ and I want to squeeze every last bit of shooting in as possible.

I’m just saying that I doubt many people are on the fence about showing up because of a 40 round difference.

every shooting sport needs more people right now, so I see your concern...but I’m just not sure the issue at hand is going to make or break someone’s entry into USPSA.

I personally plan to compete as much as possible, and even bought a new gun to try out in limited!

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    I have a shelf full of ammo I paid $10/box for so the shortage isn’t changing my costs, but since I haven’t been able to buy more in nearly a year I‘ve been skipping matches to not burn it up too fast.
    For the newer shooters who don’t have a stockpile, I could see how the current state of 2-box limits and $30/box prices—if you can find ammo at all—an 80-round “2-box” match vs. a 150-round “4-box” match could be a make-or-break decision about attending.

My thinking would be to keep matches down to about 80 rounds, possibly by substituting a 2nd classifier for one of the field courses, and then encourage the people who want to shoot more to run a second gun at a discount.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I committed to coming to either a USPSA or IDPA match, I'd probably shoot more than the round count due to my skills, lol. So I am okay with that.

Overall for me, shorter matches would be better. If they took half my day, I'd be much more interested in coming out.

And I'll shoot until I run out of supply. I'm not saving my ammo for a future that may not be there for me.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Indiana USPSA is 1.5 - 2 hour drive each way for me. Figure 3.5 hours total time lost to traveling.
    Figure about $25 for gas + $20 for match fee so I'm down $45 plus wear and tear on the vehicle before the shooting starts.

Personally, saving 35 rounds is sort of a drop in the bucket when I put all costs together and only 5 stages makes me wonder if the time and money are better spent doing something else. For shooters that live closer to the matches reducing round count/stages might work out well.

76caprice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2020
    Franktucky
    I just don’t have any fun in short courses or stand and shoot. Post a match the ones with ammo will show, then when it drops off then go from there.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Some great input.
    I have been watching similar post on other forums and Facebook.
    I posted on Facebook for Silver Creek asking similar question.
    The responses have been about 75% for reducing the round count.
    Silver Creek is going to reduce the round count (temporarily) to see if that helps the turn outs.
    I had a few of our usual shooters contact me and say they just couldn't afford to shoot 170 rounds right now or that they didn't want to shoot that much ammo that they couldn't replace.
    The turnouts at match everywhere are way down and while Covid has played a part in that the biggest reason is ammo and loading component availability.
    At what point does it not become worth the clubs time to have a match?
    I think Silver Creek is going to practiscore signup and if we don't have 20 shooters sign up then we will cancel.
    My personal position on this is like some others I want to shoot and the more rounds the better. I'm lucky that I have enough components for possibly next 2 years but I'm changing things. I quit shooting centerfire in Steel Challenge because I don't like steel enough to waste the ammo, so rimfire only in steel for now.
    While it is easy to sit back and say everyone should have stocked up because I did.
    I have to think what happens if ammo or components are not available for a couple of years? I'm going to be looking back and saying I wish we reduced the round counts a couple of years ago and I would still be shooting now. Those 170 round matches weren't worth it.

I understand the travel and money invested as I do the same thing. I travel 2 hours one way to a couple different clubs and don't want to shoot less than 100 rounds but if that is what happens I will still do it for a while because I still have fun.
    I know that while it is winter and cold but the turnout numbers are down in the teens or low twenty's and were down last summer and fall also.
    I was truly amazed that so many of our shooters shoot factory ammo.

Our area has always liked the 32 round stages as I do but 18-24 round stages can be are just as much fun. The shorter stages aren't really any easier to setup and take about the same amount of time to run a squad through on match day.

Silver Creeks next match will be March(weather permitting) and the plan right now is 5 stages of 26,20,20,16 and 12 on the classifier. Shooters can shoot the match with two boxes of ammo which is still $70-90 at todays prices but that is better than almost double that of a regular match.
    Note: if you think all the short courses are going to be some hoser speed shoots you don't know me very well.:evilangel:

I'm struggling right now with a decision. Those that know me know I shoot mainly Revolver and I usually shoot Revolver Nationals(USPSA) and The IRC(ICORE) as it takes the wife and I to different ranges and we get to meet different people and while I don't usually shoot the major matches very well I have fun and I usually get some Revolver work for the shop while I'm there.
    Last Year was 1 day format in Talladega at a fantastic range.
    This years match is 3 day format which is a couple extra days in a motel and extra meals. The big hang up in my mind even though a round count hasn't been announced yet, the 3 day matches usually are almost 500 rounds. Even though I have plenty(if their is such a thing) it still makes me wonder if burning up several matches of ammo in a weekend is worth it.
    I know the feeling of what some of the shooters are thinking.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom