• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ben 95cobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    utah

i live in indiana but work in cincinnati ohio and i want to be able to carry in ohio. utah permit is supose to work.:dunno:

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    with a utah permit and an indiana license you gain like extra 7 states to carry in, but as far as how to get it you have to do some research as to when there are classes available. I know there was a thread a little while ago about Gander mountain doing classes but I am not sure when they were offering classes.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i would be able to carry in all states that honor indiana gun permits and utah right?
    a good website to look at is

Handgunlaw.us

it shows which states honor what permits.
    if you get a utah permit only, there are still a state or two that you wont have b/c those states only honor "resident" permits.

that site also gives links to each states laws and how to apply for their permits. as far as the training required, go the other subforum about training.

edit: each states laws vary as well. even if the permit you have is honored, you have to follow the laws of the state you are in such as informing an officer if you are carrying or not or open vs concealed carry. most of that stuff is on that site.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    How do i obtain a utah gun permit? :dunno:

I don't know where you live but I was in Plainfield shooting supply a few weeks ago buying a gun. While I was in there, there was an instructor for the Utah permit classes posting an add for classes. If you can't make it there to check it out, you could probably call PSS and they will tell you the info.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Currently, there are 26 states that honor the Indiana Handgun Carry Permit:

AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, IA, ID, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, and WY.

With an out-of-state Florida permit, add the following eight states:
    DE, KS, NE, NM, OH, VA, WA, WV. Note: KS and NM honor FL permits but not UT permits.

With an out-of-state Utah permit, add the following seven states:
    DE, MN, NE, OH, VA, WA, WV. Note: MN honors UT permits but not FL permits.

(The above compiled from handgunlaw.us)

Either the UT or FL permit works in Ohio.
    If you travel to/through KS or NM, get the FL permit.
    If you travel to/through MN, get the UT permit.

If you already have formal firearms' training, including military, that will suffice for Florida, and you will not need to take any class.

Link for Florida application:
    Form/Publication Request 790 - Division of Licensing, FDACS

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I took the Utah class and Gander Mtn so I could carry in Ohio and Minnesota where I work from time to time. I think cost was around $100 and took about 3 hours on a saturday morning.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm going to do the FL permit, mostly because I used to live there and have a tendency to do things that buck the crowd. Plus I've already got everything done toe get the FL permit other than writing the check!:laugh:

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I love my Utah carry license it prevents me from taking a Texas class ($$$) and give the State of Texas too much $$$ every time I need to re-new!

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I love my Utah carry license it prevents me from taking a Texas class ($$$) and give the State of Texas too much $$$ every time I need to re-new!

Interesting. I think in Indiana that having JUST a Utah permit would not allow you to carry in Indiana - you still have to have an Indiana LTCH to carry here. I see you are in Houston. Are you sure that Texas isn't like this?

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Interesting. I think in Indiana that having JUST a Utah permit would not allow you to carry in Indiana - you still have to have an Indiana LTCH to carry here. I see you are in Houston. Are your sure that Texas isn't like this?

What he said! With the minimal research I've done you have to have a resident permit for the state you live in. Should I move back to Florida I would have to get a resident permit. oops, gotta go, the neighbors cat is stalking a squirrel, have to give the squirrel a fighing chance.:rockwoot:

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    What he said! With the minimal research I've done you have to have a resident permit for the state you live in. Should I move back to Florida I would have to get a resident permit. oops, gotta go, the neighbors cat is stalking a squirrel, have to give the squirrel a fighing chance.:rockwoot:

There ya go!!! Hey thanks for all this info guys. I had always debated getting the FL or UT licenses, now my mind is made up...

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    AFAIK Texas DOES allow you to only have a non-resident permit from another state. The Utah permit is much cheaper than TX and easier to obtain, so many people go that route.

Utah vs. Florida: I went Utah because it is so much cheaper (only $10 renewal every 4 years). The money saved getting the Utah permit quickly makes taking a 3-4 hour class worth it.

Top Bottom