Utility folks: Registering underground stuff in a Right of Way/easement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive got a project that may result in me needing to bury some fiber optic lines between two adjacent properties in conduit. So far we have done so without problems, but this one is different... We need to cross an easement that contains various telcom and power feeds. (Grassy area behind buildings, NOT crossing a street) We have the location of existing stuff under control. As I was thinking about several years ago how a contractor hit our water main because it wasnt registered on the plats, it got me to thinking.

If the WATER company can have their stuff hit because its not on record, how do we go about registering our run so that doesnt happen to us?

And on a related note, whats required to be able to trace that conduit later by the 811 guys? Just a run of small gauge copper adjacent to it so that they can attach a tone generator to? The work is being done by our in house electricians, who dont fully understand underground location other than calling before they dig. As the person who's shoulders bear the burden of the downtime in the event of a cut, I want to make every effort to make sure its known, and can be located years down the road so anyone else who comes along will know to miss our stuff.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Not all utilities are members of 811. If the line is yours and not part of a member utility company line it will not be located unless you pay to join 811 so that whenever someone digs in that area that you will be notified to locate your utility. The question is do you own both properties that are connected and do the other utilities have a easement provided to you? You might just want to call 811 to ask some more questions.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We own both sides of the easment. I'm not concerned with my guys. Given its a utility ROW my concern is for instance ATT deciding to upgrade the copper to all the pedestals and they accidentally trash my fiber while doing so.

Come to think about it, I went to HS with a guy who owns a utility locator company. I might just hit him up on the old facebooks and see what he says about how to make my stuff easier to notice.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    We own both sides of the easment. I'm not concerned with my guys. Given its a utility ROW my concern is for instance ATT deciding to upgrade the copper to all the pedestals and they accidentally trash my fiber while doing so...

So would it be the end of the world if someone cut it? Could you survive a day or two?

Steps:

1. Make sure you don't cut someone elses line when installing yours.
    2. Include a tracer (metal) line with yours. I think some cables come with a string of metal included.
    3. Put in some small landscaping plants along the line if not a pain for lawnmowers or other easement uses. No big deal if the plants get trashed but they should give someone a moment of pause.
    4. Put in a couple of signs indicating buried line.
    5. Be aware of work on the easement and anytime someone shows up walk out an talk to the guys digging and let them know where your line is located.
    6. If you see flags and spray paint that should give you a heads up that work is coming soon.
    7. Let the IT guys know where the line is and plans to follow if cut.
    8. Have an extra spool of fiber that you can install between the two nodes quickly if necessary.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can you fly it overhead?
    No, the owner is very particular about stuff like that and how it looks.

So would it be the end of the world if someone cut it? Could you survive a day or two?

Steps:

1. Make sure you don't cut someone elses line when installing yours.
    2. Include a tracer (metal) line with yours. I think some cables come with a string of metal included.
    3. Put in some small landscaping plants along the line if not a pain for lawnmowers or other easement uses. No big deal if the plants get trashed but they should give someone a moment of pause.
    4. Put in a couple of signs indicating buried line.
    5. Be aware of work on the easement and anytime someone shows up walk out an talk to the guys digging and let them know where your line is located.
    6. If you see flags and spray paint that should give you a heads up that work is coming soon.
    7. Let the IT guys know where the line is and plans to follow if cut.
    8. Have an extra spool of fiber that you can install between the two nodes quickly if necessary.

Thanks. This line runs all communications for that building. I can fall back on a wireless bridge if necessary but I prefer prevention over reaction.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Marking is great, but NO guarantee that it still won't get cut. I had some work done in my back yard, 811 marked everything well. I knew where it all was. I told the digging guy exactly where it was and how deep. It was in sch 40 conduit. You guessed it, cut it twice. He got to pay the bill to have it replaced.

I agree with pouring a layer of concrete over it before fill in. ;)

Top Bottom