• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I bought one at Lowes. They have a few different sizes.
    10x14 won't require the biggest unit they have. It's like buying an air conditioner. Get one that is big enough that it won't run itself to death trying to keep up. Since it's a basement vault, I would get a mid-sized unit.
    Do you have a way to run a garden hose to a floor drain ect? If not emptying the catch bucket will be a pain.

Last edited:

ps90man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Leavenworth
    Yes I have a drain I can run a hose to. I've read reviews on all the dehumidifiers and it seems like they all have bad reviews lol. I hate buying junk so im hoping someone can tell me a good one to buy so I don't have to buy a new one every year.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I just went and looked at mine.
    Frigidaire by Electrolux.
    Model LAD704TDL.
    70 pints per day.
    6.8 amps/765 watts @ 120VAC.
    Digital controls.
    Humidity control settings : Constant On, or 35% thru 85%. I run it at 50%.
    High/Low fan setting.
    It has a timer but I've never used it.
    One thing I like about it is that if the power goes out, it will come back on at the same settings as what you had it at.
    To clean the air filter, first remove the "bucket", then pull the filter down and out of the unit.
    The bucket must be in place or the unit will not run.
    After you reinstall the filter and bucket, press the bucket reset button.
    This particular unit is likely bigger than what you need, but on the other hand it would handle the humidity without being overloaded.
    The one I have is 2 years old.

Forgot to say that behind the bucket there is a male garden hose connection. It is somewhat of a pain to get the garden hose started and tightened due to the tight quarters but it can be done.
    I took the hose off of mine the other day, then connected it to a water hydraunt to blow out the slime that had built up in it.

Last edited:

ps90man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Leavenworth
    That is one of the ones I looked at and it had better reviews than alot of the others. Good to know its lasted atleast two years. Sounds like it might be the one to try. Thanks

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would also try to raise the relative humidity in the vault by raising the temperature INSIDE it some.
    Similar to how the theory behind the Golden Rod works.
    It would give a de-humidifier more impact.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Lockdown Hygrometer

Get one of these to put in it. They say you want to keep your humidity at 45-55.

I put one in my safe, which is a 100 cu ft, and it stays at 35 with a golden rod.

I use one in my fortified ammo locker, for the remaining ammunition not in the safe, and it stays around 40.

We also have a house dehumidifier, which empties, about 2.5 gallons of water every day and a half. Gotta love Indiana.

They are a cheap way to find out things are working.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    It is a crap shoot!!!

I have had one in mine for ten years....well let me fix that last statement!!!!

I went through one a year for about four years then luck of the draw the last one has lasted me five years...KOW!!!

They have all been the cheap ones...even the last one I have talked to other people with the same experience....on the up side they all broke in less than a years and were still under warranty:rockwoot:

KEEP YOU RECEIPT!!!!!:draw:

Top Bottom