• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    So I went to BMV branch to get a 'clean' title. Stupid, annoying, ratsnfrackle stinkin' BMV. I took the $15 in cash, 'cause that is the fee is for a title. They nicked me for another $9.50 to reissue the registration, which I just renewed at the beginning of February. Not enough cash, so I had to slide plastic, UGH (bad word rant).

At least it is over. And all important documents are in an appropriately labeled folder, in a fire proof box, in the fire proof safe, just so I know WHERE they are.
    Wow, titleing has nothing to do with registration in your case and absolutely nothing on a registration would change for a new title.
    You could waste your time calling indy about it if you got the time..

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Wow, titleing has nothing to do with registration in your case and absolutely nothing on a registration would change for a new title.
    You could waste your time calling indy about it if you got the time..
    Well, your right. But since my wife's name was on both title and registration, and she died on Jan 18th this year, records must be updated.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I am going to relate a story from a friend. They had paid off their car, had the title and pay off letter in their apartment. The apartment burned down, paperwork was lost. As a result, when he went to sell said car, to get the replacement title, it was sent to the lien holder as they were still on the title.

It took a ton of time for him to get it from the lien holder, as they didn't send it to him, because his account wasn't active with them. So they didn't at that time have a plan for when this type of thing happens.

It is just a good idea to get the lien holder off the title just in case. Take it as you will.
    This is what happens if the lien holder's name is still on the title no matter if they've signed off on it or not.

As long as the lien holder's name hasn't been removed from the title it still shows up in BMV records as having a lien holder and any replacement title will be sent to the lien holder on record and it will be up to you to go through the process all over again to get it from them which can be a big hassle like what happened with your friend and a similar situation that I'm faced with now.

Directly from the BMV website.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Any duplicate titles you purchase must be sent to the primary lien holder on record with the BMV. To review the lien holders listed on each title, select the VIN and select the tab labeled lien holders.

This is what it said when I looked up my title that I need a replacement for when I went to order a duplicate title after I had lost mine even though I paid the note off several years ago but apparently didn't have the title reissued in my name alone.

This Title has Lien Holder(s). Duplicate Title copy will be sent to primary Lien Holder.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well, your right. But since my wife's name was on both title and registration, and she died on Jan 18th this year, records must be updated.
    Ah, that explains it. Sorry for your loss.

That said, I may just need to go get lien free titles issues for a couple of vehicles. Just need to carve out the time to head down to the BMV when I want to incur some bureaucratic pain.

Reactions: KG1

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I wonder what happens when the lienholder goes out of business?

E.g. you get it from a buy here pay here lot and they self finance. You pay it off. 5 years later you have lost your title and need to issue a new one. Joes Auto Trader on the corner of 30th and Arlington is now a tire place with no connection. And Joe died shortly after closing the business.

What now?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

E.g. you get it from a buy here pay here lot and they self finance. You pay it off. 5 years later you have lost your title and need to issue a new one. Joes Auto Trader on the corner of 30th and Arlington is now a tire place with no connection. And Joe died shortly after closing the business.

What now?
    That could be a potential problem.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Ah, that explains it. Sorry for your loss.

That said, I may just need to go get lien free titles issues for a couple of vehicles. Just need to carve out the time to head down to the BMV when I want to incur some bureaucratic pain.
    I would say from experience that this is the path of lesser hassle in the event that those titles were ever lost or something and needed to be replaced.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I would say from experience that this is the path of lesser hassle in the event that those titles were ever lost or something and needed to be replaced.
    It's underneath the nightstand drawer, behind the safe, inside the tool box, inside that sorted bin with the forgotten to do list.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

What now?
    Leave the car running at a liquor store on 43rd st and claim it was stolen?

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've never done it but after reading through this it's probably at least piece of mind to go ahead and do it. At least on my 22 year old firebird as my truck still has a few months until it's paid off.

Top Bottom