• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    Thinking I might need to add one to the collection. I have watched several YouTube videos and read tons of reviews and I have yet to find a good reason not to own one. Besides crazy current prices, but I might just go ahead and buy one anyway. If anyone has personal experience that should keep me from buying one, I would love to hear about it, otherwise I might not be able to resist buying one.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I was looking at buying one for quite awhile recently. Was looking at used Sauga’s and the new Kalashnikov USA 12ga shotguns. They are neat I love the platform but I watched or read to many times about issues with them being picky with ammo. Guess it comes down to what you want it for. A range toy wouldn’t be a problem but for me self defense I wanted something more reliable. Just my two cents bud

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I felt the same way when they came out. Vepr.org used to be a great forum resource of information but it has been down for quite a few months, there is a message that it is coming back but that has been up for a long time. I got my mags and I don't know the current situation but they were always expensive and aftermarket always seemed to need tuning. If higher capacity factory mags ever came back at a reasonable price I would get some. Shells deform from spring pressure in the mag over time but there are tricks to get around that. I really like mine and wish I had more time to shoot it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Love my VEPR 12 but hate the factory stock. I installed an M4 adapter from Carolina Shooters Supply and it's way better. It does require breaking the weld to install but 922r isn't hard to achieve on these either. Plus the stock adapter counts as compliance parts

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    I was looking at buying one for quite awhile recently. Was looking at used Sauga’s and the new Kalashnikov USA 12ga shotguns. They are neat I love the platform but I watched or read to many times about issues with them being picky with ammo. Guess it comes down to what you want it for. A range toy wouldn’t be a problem but for me self defense I wanted something more reliable. Just my two cents bud
    Agree totally, I have a 870 that I built from a bare receiver that is as dependable as the Sun so it would be more for fun than an actual defensive gun. Thanks for your thoughts!

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    I've had a couple. They are great shotguns, mine were flawless with Russian mags even when shooting the cheapest target loads Walmart was selling at that time. I had many malfunctions with 12 round US made plastic mags (SGM was it ???) and I also had malfunctions with CSS mags which alot of people praise as being on par with Russian mags. The AK sights make shooting slugs extremely effective up to 50 yards, it was a blast shooting steel with slug loads.

But at today's prices? No way I'm paying what they and the mags are selling for. Unless you are a collector and just have to have one, I would go 1301 or M4.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Another owner here. Only deterrent would be high mag prices. You might be able to scratch your itch with a cheaper American or Chinese-made clone, but if you want a VEPR-12 then get a VEPR-12 - it's tough to beat a Russian when it comes to these AK-style scatterguns.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Nice! Very nice actually!
    All compliments to AllenM who did the work. I had him leave the gas system alone so it runs best with slugs, buck, etc. I have a full size for the cheap stuff.

Another owner here. Only deterrent would be high mag prices. You might be able to scratch your itch with a cheaper American or Chinese-made clone, but if you want a VEPR-12 then get a VEPR-12 - it's tough to beat a Russian when it comes to these AK-style scatterguns.
    I looked and K-Var has 8 round mags (my favorite) in four packs for $280. That's not too far from pre-ban prices.

I picked up a JTS AK shotgun off Ingo not long ago. My thought was it would be a cheaper range toy and most reviews had them running OK with cheap Walmart Federal loads with the adjustable gas block opened up. Handling it side by side with a Vepr, you can really feel the Molot quality.

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    I've had a couple. They are great shotguns, mine were flawless with Russian mags even when shooting the cheapest target loads Walmart was selling at that time. I had many malfunctions with 12 round US made plastic mags (SGM was it ???) and I also had malfunctions with CSS mags which alot of people praise as being on par with Russian mags. The AK sights make shooting slugs extremely effective up to 50 yards, it was a blast shooting steel with slug loads.

But at today's prices? No way I'm paying what they and the mags are selling for. Unless you are a collector and just have to have one, I would go 1301 or M4.
    An M4 would be my number 1 wish list shotgun but the prices on those beauties are even crazier!

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Are there still new ones coming to market? What is the going rate for wood stock and metal? IIRC when they first came to market they were going for 1350 new and just before they got cut off they could be had for 700, does that sound about right?

dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    Thinking I might need to add one to the collection. I have watched several YouTube videos and read tons of reviews and I have yet to find a good reason not to own one. Besides crazy current prices, but I might just go ahead and buy one anyway. If anyone has personal experience that should keep me from buying one, I would love to hear about it, otherwise I might not be able to resist buying one.

I have one. Look on the vepr12 forums for how to break it in properly otherwise it may not cycle cheap rounds like the winchester or federal bulk. They are awesome - very heavy. I replaced my hg with a railed hg and a molot foregrip
    a56760b396c44979c3ca495fd5c6b823.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    All compliments to AllenM who did the work. I had him leave the gas system alone so it runs best with slugs, buck, etc. I have a full size for the cheap stuff.

I looked and K-Var has 8 round mags (my favorite) in four packs for $280. That's not too far from pre-ban prices.

I picked up a JTS AK shotgun off Ingo not long ago. My thought was it would be a cheaper range toy and most reviews had them running OK with cheap Walmart Federal loads with the adjustable gas block opened up. Handling it side by side with a Vepr, you can really feel the Molot quality.

The mags are stil coming in bulk from russia to private individuals. Check out akfiles - you can snag a 10rounder for $85 sometimes. I just paid $40 for some 8 rnders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Are there still new ones coming to market?

VEPR/Molot? Nope. Thanks, Trump.

Saiga/Kalashnikov Concern? Nope. Thanks, Obama.

You can still find Chinese, Turkish, American, etc. versions (JTS, Lynx, Garaysar, Kalashnikov USA, etc.), but most of the mags are not interchangeable, and the quality and reliably simply won't be on par with the Russian guns.

Top Bottom