• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I was looking around for a MOLLE vest and found a couple of setups that seem to be good deals.

Condor setup

UTG setup

Are Condor or UTG any good for vests? What good brands are there? Who makes good MOLLE pouches, other than Maxpedition? I'm new to vests, but would like to get one for the range/classes/shtf scenario. Any help is appreciated.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Condor and UTG are airsoft crap however if that's all you're using it for then go for it. Eagle, Parcelete, PPI, and Tactical tailor are some good ones to check out, but be prepared to pay out the ass for them. I recently got a really good volume discount deal deal on 12 protective products international molle vests but got stiffed by 2 people who promised to buy them. Therefore i have 2 NIB that i can part with. If you are interested send me a PM. The only feature that they don't have is the rip cord thing that drops the vest to the ground instantly (in case you fall in a pool or something). The parcelete and some eagle ones have the rip cord thing if ur into that.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would put Condor above UTG in terms of quality based on having some of each brands stuff. If I were using it for my job (LEO, military, etc), I probably wouldn't use either. But for light use, the Condor would probably work. For heavier use the brands mentioned by vitamink are definitely where you want to go.

One other option is you can keep your eyes open here in the classifieds for some used stuff, or check out some army surplus set ups. My :twocents: are that if it is actual USGI gear, than it is good enough for me to use.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    Condor and UTG are airsoft crap however if that's all you're using it for then go for it.

Whats your market? Are you actually looking for something with protection, or merely a vest for the molle? Think of any expansion you may want in the future.

I, myself, keep an Interceptor (IOTV) with plates in the trunk, and an Interceptor (IBA) with plates in the house.

If you want expansion in the future, look at a plate carrier if your taxes may allow the purchase of plates. Who knows? You may feel the need to upgrade at some point, and a used vest, even load bearing, isn't worth too much to anyone. If you'd like, I can give you some strong and weak points, and some firsthand input on the various vests currently in use by the Army. There are plenty of other military guys on here as well, though I'm not sure that many are Active.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    There is a certain "black rifle" forum that has a used Mil/Leo gear thread that can be helpful when looking for rigs. It's a cheaper way to find out what you like before you invest 1000-1500 for gear.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you can, try it on and wear it for a while. I got to wear test a prototype vest from MSA and the thing was awesome! It had every bell and whistle, it even had abs (like the dark night). I looked awesome, had every tactical option at my disposal and within reach, and the vest was super light weight. The vest had one problem. It was made to cover every possible square inch of a person. In doing that they made the neck hole too small. The shoulder straps would cut into the side of my neck, then sweat would make it burn. It was horrible. I couldn't wear the thing for more than 3 hours. Since then they've refined the design, but in short, be sure to test fit everything.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    If you have the time and gas, check out Brian's Surplus near Kokomo. He has a bunch of new and used vests in stock. Everything from Standard Molle gear to used Eagle, and Tactical Tailor stuff. The vests hang on the east wall of the shop, plus whatever in laying around. Prices are as good or better than gunshow prices. His number is 765-628-3196. He is open Mon-Sat, 11:00 am-5:30 pm.

PML

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Grant County
    Based on where you are, go to the Indy1500 show in January. There are usually several guys there selling used or surplus stuff and the knock-offs like the Condor stuff for way cheaper than most surplus stores in the area. Just look around.

By the way, I'd go with the Condor over the UTG stuff too. I have a couple of their rifle cases and they are pretty well constructed. Buy the best you can afford is a good rule of thumb. Just make sure it is the best and not just over priced.

Top Bottom