• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingpin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Grant County
    Anyone on here a vintage ammo buff I have a lot of very old ammo some I have never heard of some big cal. rimfire some military some shotshels was looking for some help in id and if it is worth collecting i have had this box of stuff for 50 years and it was my dads stuff before that so I know a lot of it is old some cal i have seen but a lot of it is odd to me like a 22 15 never heard of that one lol anyone interested in looking at it and giving some info let me know I live in Fairmount so I can tavel a bit or meet here let me know Thanks

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Your just a tad far away for me to come by and help you id your ammo. If you could post some pics of it and the head stamps I sure members here can help you id this stuff. Good luck.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    ammo

I am a bit of a buff as well.
    Unfortunately, there are no real good websites on vintage ammo and stuff like that.
    I can id most anything because at one time or another I have had most everything except for the very rare early rounds.
    can you take a picture of the items you are interested in iding? I get to fairmont very little, but not very often, so I might be able to swing by next time I'm that a way.
    The 22-15 was a popular Stevens single shot round, used for target loads and chambered in the #44, offhands and walnut hill stevens a lot. most early cartridges were called what they were, example on the 22-15 is 22 caliber and 15 grains of black powder. it is kind of unusual, and the cases or loaded rounds will bring about $5 each these days.
    Some of the early 45/70 are thought to be rimfires at first, but are actually inside primed benet patent. you can tell benet primed 45-70 and 45 colts by 2 "dimples" on the case wall above the rim. these dimples were in there to hold the priming cup.
    I can try to help with id's if you can get a picture.
    I really like early cartridges.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    There is quite a few vintage ammo sellers on Gunbroker.

I have a few crates of old stuff as well, vintage military, European, paper shot shells, brass cased black powder, and even a 4 bore and full box of 8 bore from the turn of the century.

I have a few books on obsolete catridges, maybe we should meet some afternoon and catalog what you have.

Kingpin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Grant County
    Pictures

Kind of green on how to put pictures on here any help on the how to
    Here are a few of the headstamp numbers western 351 slr,45-90 wcf,25-35,32 w5,25-25,32-wcf,32-40,38-40 219 zipper also willing to drive to north side of Indy south side of Ft Wayne east side of Lafayette Im open to about any times I am retired gives me a lot of wiggle room on the times to meet let me know Thanks

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ooo... 219 zipper.... whatcha got in .219? Loaded ammo or just brass? BTW, I wouldn't really call that vintage, just an older wildcat. My dad has a 219, brass and loaded ammo can still be purchased for it.

Any .32 rimfire? Dad also has a .32 rimfire. We've been looking for ammo for it for a long time. Navy arms was supposed to do a special run of new production ammo a few years ago but they never did.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    351 slr Winchester 351 Self Loading Rifle, they also made the rifle in 401. Rare calibers, very nice rifles
    45-90 wcf, Caliber 45-90 was available in single shots and a select few lever action guns around the turn of the century, the Model 1886 Winchester in 45-90 brings $20K these days.
    25-35,
    32 w5, Actually, i think this should be a 32 WS, as in Winchester Special, a 30-30 necked up to accept a 170gr bullet. Great cartridge for deer.
    25-25,
    32-wcf, This was also called a 32-20, a turn of the century cartridge designed for black powder rifles and revolvers
    32-40,
    38-40 Another great old handhun round, you can still find old Ruger revolvers for this cartridge
    219 zipper also willing to drive to north side of Indy south side of Ft Wayne east side of Lafayette Im open to about any times I am retired gives me a lot of wiggle room on the times to meet let me know

PM Inbound

Kingpin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Grant County
    Hey 6birds I havent sent out enough post to answer your pm but give me a time and date and the meeting place you gave is fine with me Im open and available those dates and thanks to all info recv

Last edited:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Kingpin, thanks for the ammo. It was a real pleasure meeting you and your wife, I look forward to meeting up again for another ammo swap, or maybe a day at the range. I'll post pics and more details soon, there are some really cool old cartridges in here.

I guess I'll have to go find rifles to shoot them in now. :yesway:

Top Bottom