• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    OK, I've been contemplating asking this for a while now, and this prompted me to pull the trigger, so to speak.

I shoot high power rifle, mainly at Atterbury. Now that scopes are legal for NRA "Across the Course", I'm looking for a scope to put on a "Match Rifle" (think open class)....either a Ruger Precision 5.56 or an AR. Most people running higher magnification are running 18-24X on the top end.

The must haves for me are:
    -1/4 MOA adjustments
    -solid return to zero/repeatability. The 13.5 MOA that I dial up to today has to be the same 13.5 MOA that I dialed to last weekend. i don't care if in reality it's actually 13.75 or 10 MOA, I just care that it's the same as what I dialed to previously.
    -thin center reticle or dot
    -Second focal plane.....FFP reticles get awfully small at lower magnification levels, which I might be using for offhand (although most end up using max magnification for offhand too after a bit)

Nice to haves, but not deal breakers:
    -Illuminated reticle
    -Zero stop

Don't care abouts:
    -fancy reticles....I'm dialing for elevation and wind, so I'll basically be ignoring everything but the very center of the reticle.
    -Huge elevation range....most of the time I'll only be coming up 13-14 MOA from a 200 yard zero to get to 600 yards. It would be nice to be able to shoot a couple of 1000 yard matches just for fun, which would be appx. 38 MOA. That would be using a 20 MOA rail as well.

Would this Strikefire fit the bill, or would I be better off with an HS-T or PST (Gen I or II) in SFP?

For the record, I use a Viper PST 1-4 on my "service rifle" and it's worked like a dream so far. The only thing I would change would be 1/4 MOA adjustments.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    OK, I've been contemplating asking this for a while now, and this prompted me to pull the trigger, so to speak.

I shoot high power rifle, mainly at Atterbury. Now that scopes are legal for NRA "Across the Course", I'm looking for a scope to put on a "Match Rifle" (think open class)....either a Ruger Precision 5.56 or an AR. Most people running higher magnification are running 18-24X on the top end.

The must haves for me are:
    -1/4 MOA adjustments
    -solid return to zero/repeatability. The 13.5 MOA that I dial up to today has to be the same 13.5 MOA that I dialed to last weekend. i don't care if in reality it's actually 13.75 or 10 MOA, I just care that it's the same as what I dialed to previously.
    -thin center reticle or dot
    -Second focal plane.....FFP reticles get awfully small at lower magnification levels, which I might be using for offhand (although most end up using max magnification for offhand too after a bit)

Nice to haves, but not deal breakers:
    -Illuminated reticle
    -Zero stop

Don't care abouts:
    -fancy reticles....I'm dialing for elevation and wind, so I'll basically be ignoring everything but the very center of the reticle.
    -Huge elevation range....most of the time I'll only be coming up 13-14 MOA from a 200 yard zero to get to 600 yards. It would be nice to be able to shoot a couple of 1000 yard matches just for fun, which would be appx. 38 MOA. That would be using a 20 MOA rail as well.

Would this Strikefire fit the bill, or would I be better off with an HS-T or PST (Gen I or II) in SFP?

For the record, I use a Viper PST 1-4 on my "service rifle" and it's worked like a dream so far. The only thing I would change would be 1/4 MOA adjustments.

Yes this scope would fit your bill. It has all your requirements, and illumination. For me, depending on your budget I would re think the "only interested in SFP" thing. The reason being is your going to be shooting different zoom's for different positions (at least I would assume you are). In terms of wind holds, shooting on different zoom's is going to make wind holds a nightmare. I don't think you will use max zoom shooting offhand (unless your position is much better than mine which is not impossible), but I do see you getting 12-15x out off a 6-24 scope so it would be a huge win in my book. Feel free to give me a call at 765-580-0986 and I can explain things more in detail.

I really dont think you would have an issue with the PST 6-24 FFP (which Ill be releasing another shipment of refurb's on today/Monday.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I strictly dial for wind, so having a consistent reticle to focus on no matter the size of the aiming black is much preferred vs. having consistent subtensions. Anything other than this specific style of shooting, I'd be all over FFP. Ive got a couple other FFP scopes, and they're great for their intended purpose.

I'm a good (FAR from great) offhand shooter, and have always cranked up magnification when available. Its the one thing I ignored from Appleseed/Revere's Riders instructors. When scopes came in in 2016, most everyone started offhand at minimum, then over a few matches ended up at max. Just accept the wobble, and break it when its in the middle. The wobble is always there, you can just see it at higher magnification :)

I might give you a call next week sometime. Thanks!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I strictly dial for wind, so having a consistent reticle to focus on no matter the size of the aiming black is much preferred vs. having consistent subtensions. Anything other than this specific style of shooting, I'd be all over FFP. Ive got a couple other FFP scopes, and they're great for their intended purpose.

I'm a good (FAR from great) offhand shooter, and have always cranked up magnification when available. Its the one thing I ignored from Appleseed/Revere's Riders instructors. When scopes came in in 2016, most everyone started offhand at minimum, then over a few matches ended up at max. Just accept the wobble, and break it when its in the middle. The wobble is always there, you can just see it at higher magnification :)

I might give you a call next week sometime. Thanks!

Ive tried dialing wind, but every time it changes, I have to climb out of position, adjust, get back in position only to have it change again.

Next week Im sure they will be back on the backorder list, but the wait time will only be about 6 weeks. Im the only one in the US to have this scope, so they are going fast.

Top Bottom