• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I was at Wal-Mart for the first time in a few months and wandered into the sporting goods section and was surprised at the amount of items that they had that was suitable for BOB gear. I guess that I just never looked before, but they had Mountain House 2 person meals and other items that I just did not expect them to have.

I am still working on getting my first bags and gear together, they appear to be a cheap source for some of the stuff I need. Between them and the local surplus store I can actually get a lot of what I want locally and then do my online ordering I think.

Looking for some good ideas for bags currently, think I may end up with a Piper Gear three day pass, but I'm still checking out my options. Surplus store has some I want to go back and take a better look at also.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Only thing I usually buy from wally world is .22lr. Everything else comes from other places. I try not to support 'big china', even if most of their ammo is USA made.

On a side note, one day I went in for some .22lr and hit the clearance isle.. found 5 packs of MH ice cream for 50 cents a pack. :rockwoot:

Anyway for the idea of packs I picked up a large alice pack with frame, straps and kidney for $15 bucks! It was in excellent shape, I also had to buy two more packs for $15 each that were in very good condition (friend wanted them so no worries there).

Good deals can be found, just have to look. I'm not a huge fan of alice packs, but you won't find anything near as good for anywhere near the price, let alone the bargain basement price of 15 clams.

Also most wally world camping items are single season use. You get what you pay for is in full effect. I would only buy real name brand stuff if using it for BOB. If you life could depend on it, don't skimp. Be frugal, but do not skimp.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    :): at the above!

I realize that you have to not go "cheap" in a BOB, that is what I was saying surprised me, that some of the items that Wal-Mart has are actually just fine. The Mountain House foods, and several of the other items are the same thing/brand I would end up ordering online and this way I can shave shipping. For the major items I'm gonna do better, but for the items like soap, bug spray, some of the food items, light sticks and the like it appears that Wal-Mart will be a good deal.

Top Bottom