• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm trying to "switch" to the Walther PPQ M2 because I shoot them well more easily than I do the other plastic guns. I like almost everything about them except . . .

. . . when I am shooting with a two-handed grip, frequently my support hand palm will press that giant mag release button far enough to make the magazine drop.

• This is not a good thing.
    • I have installed the heaviest spring that Walther makes for the mag release. It helped, but it did not eliminate the problem.
    • Changing my grip is a non-optimal solution.
    • Switching to the M1 version with the trigger guard paddle mag releases is not a good option at this time.

I am considering contouring the button to make it shorter and perhaps have a smaller surface area protruding, but I don't know how much it will help.

Any ideas from the group?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I own and carry one. My problem used to be riding the slide release, but I have worked around that issue and practiced till I had resolved it. I haven't experienced the mag release issue. I will look at mine when I get home and think on this.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think you're stuck with contouring / "shaving" the release.

Can you order another one to practice on?

Probably so!

I will do so right now!

I own and carry one. My problem used to be riding the slide release, but I have worked around that issue and practiced till I had resolved it. I haven't experienced the mag release issue. I will look at mine when I get home and think on this.

I think I'm the only one who has this problem. It's a combination of how I grip and the size and shape of my hands putting the chubby part of my palm (under the thumb) right on that button. I've never had this issue with any other guns, including 1911s with big buttons attached to the top of the mag release.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So I just (after making the weapon safe) evaluated my grip and looked at the mag release. My middle finger keeps my palm up off the button. The heel of my support hand contacts higher up, between the mag release and slide. But everyone is made differently, and so my experience doesn't apply to you. I'm thinking if you shaved the top part of the button down, you would be ok. The bottom of the button is guarded by the swell in the grip that transitions into the trigger guard. You could probably contour it in such a way that looks really nice, but gains you the functionality you need. Do it right and you can patent the idea and sell it.

The other option is switching the mag button to the right side, but, for me at least, that's not a good option.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Hey rhino, lots of guys on the Walther forum have contacted Earl's Repair Service for parts and advice. From what I see posted, he does give good advice and service. The phone number for his Pearisburg VA location is 540.921.0184. Maybe he has an idea on the mag release.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So I just (after making the weapon safe) evaluated my grip and looked at the mag release. My middle finger keeps my palm up off the button. The heel of my support hand contacts higher up, between the mag release and slide. But everyone is made differently, and so my experience doesn't apply to you. I'm thinking if you shaved the top part of the button down, you would be ok. The bottom of the button is guarded by the swell in the grip that transitions into the trigger guard. You could probably contour it in such a way that looks really nice, but gains you the functionality you need. Do it right and you can patent the idea and sell it.

The other option is switching the mag button to the right side, but, for me at least, that's not a good option.

Yeah, I considered moving it to the right side, but I'd have to retrain and then I'd be messed-up for . . . EVERY OTHER GUN. If it comes to reversing the mag release, I'd be better off moving to the M1 with the paddle mag releases on the trigger guard (which I also don't want to do).

I was just in contact with Walther in Arkansas. First, they answer email messages RIGHT AWAY. I had a response in less than a minute from when I sent the message on their web sight. It was an amazingly fast response! The agent with whom I spoke was very helpful, but he got a little bent out of shape (not rude) about how if I modify the mag release button, it would completely void the warranty. He also seemed to think that if I shortened the button, it would somehow cause the gun to malfunction, and of course void the warranty.

He did send me the schematic with part numbers. I have two new mag releases on the way (not cheap) that I'll use to experiment.

This would be easier if these guns didn't work so well for me otherwise! ARGH!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey rhino, lots of guys on the Walther forum have contacted Earl's Repair Service for parts and advice. From what I see posted, he does give good advice and service. The phone number for his Pearisburg VA location is 540.921.0184. Maybe he has an idea on the mag release.

Thanks! I'll give them a call!

edited to add:

Okay . . . just spoke with Earl. I discussed the issue and he recommended checking my grip against the gun and seeing if contouring at an angle would work to just relieve where my hand is hitting it. That's what I was thinking too, so when the new parts arrive, I shall experiment. He said they could even machine the surface the of the button for me if I know how I want it done.

He also assured me that this would not void my warranty. It doesn't matter that much to me, but it's good to know.

This was a good experience. Thank you again for the referral, poppy!

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, I considered moving it to the right side, but I'd have to retrain and then I'd be messed-up for . . . EVERY OTHER GUN. If it comes to reversing the mag release, I'd be better off moving to the M1 with the paddle mag releases on the trigger guard (which I also don't want to do).

I was just in contact with Walther in Arkansas. First, they answer email messages RIGHT AWAY. I had a response in less than a minute from when I sent the message on their web sight. It was an amazingly fast response! The agent with whom I spoke was very helpful, but he got a little bent out of shape (not rude) about how if I modify the mag release button, it would completely void the warranty. He also seemed to think that if I shortened the button, it would somehow cause the gun to malfunction, and of course void the warranty.

He did send me the schematic with part numbers. I have two new mag releases on the way (not cheap) that I'll use to experiment.

This would be easier if these guns didn't work so well for me otherwise! ARGH!

Thats pretty stellar service. I'm not surprised at his reaction. But it's not like you can't put a new button in there and restore it to original condition.

I'm with you, I haven't found a better striker fired pistol. I don't see myself moving away from it anytime soon, if ever.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Rhino I am with you on the PPQ. We have 2 of them and I carry a PPS classic during the week. I don't have problems with the magazine release but I do ride the slide stop lever. Oh well that is the drawback of a high thumbs 1911 grip. I don't see any problems with shaving the magazine release down a bit.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino I am with you on the PPQ. We have 2 of them and I carry a PPS classic during the week. I don't have problems with the magazine release but I do ride the slide stop lever. Oh well that is the drawback of a high thumbs 1911 grip. I don't see any problems with shaving the magazine release down a bit.

I think it will work. When I', not shooting, I have to try to make it happen. When I am shooting, it's usually a few rounds before it happens, so I think I'm pretty close to it "not happening." Contouring the button will likely do the trick, then I'm golden.

And if it doesn't work, then . . . back to the drawing board.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Just listening in here. I've never shot a PPQ. What is it you guys like so much about it? Is it the ergonomics? I hear a lot about the trigger, but it's spec'ed out at 5~6 lbs, 0.4" total travel and 0.1" reset...which really sounds not much better than a Glock (to me, anyway). Just curious?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If it was the only gun I was ever going to shoot again, I'd consider it. I'd switch to the M1/Classic with the paddles before I reverse the mag release.

I don't think the paddle vs button mag release differences are as big a deal as people make them out to be. Competitive shooting sure but for practical stuff not so much. The paddle on my PPS is slower to reload but not that slow. Besides the likelihood of needing a reload is slim. Easiest solution is just to carry two PPQs on each side and forget about reloading althogether.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm trying to "switch" to the Walther PPQ M2 because I shoot them well more easily than I do the other plastic guns. I like almost everything about them except . . .

. . . when I am shooting with a two-handed grip, frequently my support hand palm will press that giant mag release button far enough to make the magazine drop.

• This is not a good thing.
    • I have installed the heaviest spring that Walther makes for the mag release. It helped, but it did not eliminate the problem.
    • Changing my grip is a non-optimal solution.
    • Switching to the M1 version with the trigger guard paddle mag releases is not a good option at this time.

I am considering contouring the button to make it shorter and perhaps have a smaller surface area protruding, but I don't know how much it will help.

Any ideas from the group?

Have you ever tried a Glock? Their subdued mag releases may be more suitable to your meaty pachyderm paws.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just listening in here. I've never shot a PPQ. What is it you guys like so much about it? Is it the ergonomics? I hear a lot about the trigger, but it's spec'ed out at 5~6 lbs, 0.4" total travel and 0.1" reset...which really sounds not much better than a Glock (to me, anyway). Just curious?

Trigger is better then a Glock out of the box. The ergonomics place the hand in a position to take advantage of the better trigger. I do think the taller slide makes for a bit more muzzle movement compared to a Glock or M&P

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Well, you'll just have try one and see. I have two, and can loan you one if you'd like. Suffice it to say that what you are saying could be an analog to 1911 triggers. The specs on a Rock Island trigger and a Dan Wesson look pretty close on paper too.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If it comes to reversing the mag release, I'd be better off moving to the M1 with the paddle mag releases on the trigger guard (which I also don't want to do).
    You have your reasons I know, but I will offer my unsolicited opinion about the awesomeness of the M1! I carry it in 9mm and this is BY FAR my favorite hand gun of all time. I love mine, I just love it. The paddle release is the bee's knees. I wish every gun had a paddle release option.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

It's all about the trigger.

I've shot or dry fired every modern striker-fired polymer gun on the market. None of them have a stock trigger that is even close to the feel of the Walther PPQ trigger, including the touted Sig 320 and the HK MP9. There is no stacking, no mush, and the reset is ultra short. It feels lot lighter than 5-6 lbs. Stock Glock triggers are not even comparable. Most aftermarket Glock triggers are not as good either.

I don't think the paddle vs button mag release differences are as big a deal as people make them out to be. Competitive shooting sure but for practical stuff not so much. The paddle on my PPS is slower to reload but not that slow. Besides the likelihood of needing a reload is slim. Easiest solution is just to carry two PPQs on each side and forget about reloading althogether.

I don't like teaching my trigger finger to do much other than press the trigger. Personal preference!

Have you ever tried a Glock? Their subdued mag releases may be more suitable to your meaty pachyderm paws.

Are you teasing me about trying Glocks?

Trigger is better then a Glock out of the box. The ergonomics place the hand in a position to take advantage of the better trigger. I do think the taller slide makes for a bit more muzzle movement compared to a Glock or M&P

That's true about a slightly higher bore axis, but its not an issue with 9mm in my opinion. It's so much easier for me to shoot a PPQ well than it is a for me to shoot a Glock equally as well that it's like night and day.

Well, you'll just have try one and see. I have two, and can loan you one if you'd like. Suffice it to say that what you are saying could be an analog to 1911 triggers. The specs on a Rock Island trigger and a Dan Wesson look pretty close on paper too.

When Que used to talk about the trigger on his PPQ, I didn't disbelieve him, but I didn't know what I know now. He was right!

You have your reasons I know, but I will offer my unsolicited opinion about the awesomeness of the M1! I carry it in 9mm and this is BY FAR my favorite hand gun of all time. I love mine, I just love it. The paddle release is the bee's knees. I wish every gun had a paddle release option.

Hey! Were you the other Walther shooter at Parabellum on Wednesday night at the USPSA match (Flight 1)?

Top Bottom