• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    For anyone interested, I would like to start a self-defense oriented empty-hands combat, or "street-fighting" club, to learn technique, but not to completely beat the snot out of each other. ETA: TO BE CLEAR, THIS IS NOT A "FIGHT CLUB", DON'T YOU'NS BE TRYIN' THIS ON YOUR KIDS, OR YOUR DOGS. It is a venue to discuss and practice self-defense techniques. I want this to cover the gap in training that mercop has wisely pointed out - i.e.: the fact that most training we might take covers only "gunfighting", but leaves you high and dry should that tool fail you, or not be present. (on an airplane, in a courthouse, at a high school ballgame, or maybe you just forgot it)

From my limited research, what I've learned is that for self-defense, you don't want to go to a school that teaches forms and makes you wear a certain outfit. I've also found that Krav Maga "schools" are very expensive, and limit what is taught until a person has been paying $100 a month for a couple of years.

This idea isn't a business, it's a place for interested persons to gather and work together, and honestly, a way to help the owner of the building keep the lights turned on.

I've found a facility we can use. It should be big enough to start, depending on interest shown. It sits empty at least three days per week, so I have made an offer to the owners to let us use it, and everybody chip in $5 per "meeting". For those familiar with downtown Indy, it's right across the street from John's Famous Stew. Frequency of the meetings would probably start once a week, or every other week, until we find out what the interest is.
    No rank, no levels, no belts. I also want to ensure that there's no criminal activity, and nobody gets badly injured from doing anything stupid. Basically, I don't want us to get kicked out of the building, or get accused of being a "gang" or something.

I am not a qualified instructor of anything, so if anyone has some knowledge and is willing to share, let us know. This wouldn't be a "school", with classes, it would be a club with meetings. It can be whatever the membership makes of it. The possibilities are endless. We could have days we focus on certain issues such as blue guns, rubber knives, first aid, etc..

Please chime in in this thread with any interest, or suggestions. I don't intend for this to be an exclusive INGO club, this is just the best place to find local people who are likely to have a self-defense oriented mindset.

Heck, if everyone would rather have a new local hardcore fitness club instead, that's cool too. We could still have our own place, and do it for $5 a meeting.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am an expert in verbal judo. It has saved my butt many times. I thwarted an armed robbery on my person just 10 days ago using my superior and overwheming verbal skills. I would be happy to pass on my knowledge.

To have to resort to physical or armed force means that I have failed. I hope I never fail. Cuz if I fail, the other guy dies. I am not joking, I would make that happen. I just don't want to do the paperwork.

I always have a backup plan.... I am never surprised. Yet.

Good luck with your club.

I'll bet you have lots of fun. But make it as real as you can with professional trainers, otherwise it is just a bunch of guys screwin around trying to pretend that they are doing something.

Last edited:

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I wasn't trying to be that much of a jerk, just realize you are not a sanctioned agency, so any one who joins and gets hurt will sue the organizer and anyone else they can get their hands on. Also it only takes one bad apple to turn that into a very illegal venture. I will not rain on your parade any longer.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Annybody ever think about insurance...ya know they rule the world right?

the owner uses the building to host locally promoted professional wrestling events, and tells me that he is covered.

thank you for raising this concern, and I'm sure it can and will be hashed out completely before anybody does any training. right now, I'm just trying to get the ball rolling.

the first type of meeting to plan is an informational meeting with all parties involved, including the owner.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I am an expert in verbal judo. It has saved my butt many times. I thwarted an armed robbery on my person just 10 days ago using my superior and overwheming verbal skills. I would be happy to pass on my knowledge.

you're right. that is a viable, and most preferred method of winning a confrontation. although we have to be prepared if it doesn't work, I would like to hear more about your methodology.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Methodology is simple, keep them rocking back on their heels mentally by not responding in any way that they are expecting. Always use a loud commanding voice and keep focused on the spot in their forehead or crotch where you will put the bullet if they don't move along.

Always watch the hands. Hands are what will hurt you, not the eyes.

The last guy told me that he was just trying to be friendly. I responded by telling him that I didn't want to be friends with him and that he could just kiss my ass. I told him that I had a wife and he was even uglier than her. He didn't know what to say because I didn't respond the way he expected me to. He had a razor blade in his right hand that I saw as he walked away cursing me. He was trying to get close to me but I wouldn't let that happen.

Most folks don't want to "offend" people. I have no problem at all telling people to stay away from me and telling them in a loud and clear voice that I know what they are trying to do. I know who my friends are. Fugg every body else.

You can send me the check for the lesson anytime.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    BTW, he is a M/B, 5' 10", 170 lbs. mustache, short hair, no facial hair, wearing a yellow/black shirt, brown pants, brown shoes. Large gold ring on his right hand. Last seen walking westbound across Clinton St from the Applebees parking lot on North Clinton in Ft Wayne.

He is long gone by now. Probably....

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    To have to resort to physical or armed force means that I have failed. I hope I never fail. Cuz if I fail, the other guy dies. I am not joking, I would make that happen. I just don't want to do the paperwork.

There is a lot of ground between words and killing.

Can you tell me where you draw the line for shooting someone?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is a lot of ground between words and killing.

Can you tell me where you draw the line for shooting someone?

When he doesn't get that he has already lost and he needs to leave. It is time for me to escalate when he becomes an imminent threat to me or mine.

If I understood your question correctly. No shooting or hard hand contact unless he has escalated and I am forced to follow. And it can change to that in a milli-second.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    That location is close to where I work and I would be willing to give it a go.
    a quality instructor would be a must have and I would be willing to split the cost.
    I have been trying to get training of this type for some time the timeing just never seems to work out.

Top Bottom