Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I am looking for recommendations…

A medium priced bolt action .308 rifle
    with a Heavy Barrel that could have a supressor fitted to it
    with a composite stock

A scope good to 300 yards

A bipod

And what ammo is the most accurate from experience, not hear say…

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've got a Savage Model 112FVSS in .308 that I have had for a number of years with some Nikon glass on it. I like it a lot. I don't own any other center fire rifles to compare it to and I have had this for several years so I can't speak to current pricing. I see the 12FVSS on the Savage site currently but not the 112FVSS which was a long action rather than the short.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Most rifles today will do the job but Savage just seems to do it the best from the factory thanks in large to it's superior barrel. Good glass is a must, don't expect too much from a 120 buck 4X16 off brand. Spend the money for Leupold or equivalent. In factory ammo few will outperform Federal 168 grain match...it pretty much sets the industry bar for accuracy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Medium price to me..

Rifle - Under $750
    Scope - Under $300
    Bipod - Under $100

But then my medium might be different then others..

thats the ticket.

rifle savage or remington that you like. either will fit the 300 yard bill

socpe nikon buckmasters 6-18x40 with mil dot recticle. use the mils on a set power for holdover. other options would be supersniper or wotac.

bipod 50 dollar walmart,dunhams special bipod, and use the extra 50 bucks to get some warne maxima steel rings.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Savage - I looked over their selection and think a price change will be needed, that means a little more saving before I buy. I saw a Model 12FVSS in .308 for about $825.

I saw a Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40mm for about $350

And HARRIS Rotating Bipod - 6-9'' for about $95

Any issues with these products that anyone knows of?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Savage - I looked over their selection and think a price change will be needed, that means a little more saving before I buy. I saw a Model 12FVSS in .308 for about $825.

i think there is a savage 308 used in the classifieds right now for 500. its a 10fp if i remember correctly

personally id take one nikon over 5 leupolds. leupold has burned me 3 times with poor service and a poor product. at one time leupold was great but they have rested on there larels for far to long. while most companies were trying to make there produce better leupold said "were leupold folks will buy our stuff just because the name"

whatever you do do not cheap out on rings and bases. alot of folks overlook there importance and in reality they are one of the keys to good preformance

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Forget Remington, they cant seem to put out a decent gun as of late.
    Savage 10FCP is what you want. Heavy barrel, already threaded and fitted with a muzzle brake from the factory. Said brake could easily be removed and fitted with an adapter for a can/ accept a can directly. Also, the 10 FCP is the police series, and there is talk they are built to a little higher standard. They have an adjustable trigger from the factory, and a specialized bedding block in the stock that is said to be much more rigid than your standard pillar or epoxy bedding. They also have a detachable magazine. A ton of options for the price. They come in left hand too.

As for Nightforce, they are some of the best out there, as are USO, and Schmidt and Bender. You will pay for their quality.

Look into Millett riflescopes, specifically the TRS 4-16x50mm or 56mm. They are great for the money, and reasonably priced. I have heard good things about Konus as well.

Spend the money and get a Harris Bipod. They are the best out there for the money.

Total price will be $1500 or so for rifle, optic, mount, rings, and bipod.
    Heres a good combo for sale right now:
    SAVAGE 10 FCP 308 HS PRECISION W/KONUS 6.5X25X44 : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Ammo: My old standby is Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain BTHP (Boat Tail Hollow Point). That is my starting point on most .308 rifles. Anything 168-175gr match grade will show you great accuracy. Of course, your greatest accuracy will probably be achieved through hand loads.

Expect to spend a lot of time learning your rifle/optic/load to be truly effective with your rifle.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Just did some looking online. You can do better than $825

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Are you wanting a hunting rifle or a bench rifle or a tactical rifle. If you want tactical, I would think a Savage 10fcp would probably fit the bill better.

How small of a target do you want to hit at 300 yards? A Savage Axis for $300 dollars should be capable of killing a coyote at 300 yards with no problem.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Looking for a rifle capable of killing varmits and zombies out to at least 300 yards.

Something that is accurate cold bore or on the 12th shot.

I figured a price total about $1300 or so, I only want to buy this “long range” rifle once.

Given that I can steady my shots I would like to get 6 shots in a dollar bill at 300 yards, i.e. 5-6" groups.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Looking for a rifle capable of killing varmits and zombies out to at least 300 yards.

Something that is accurate cold bore or on the 12th shot.

I figured a price total about $1300 or so, I only want to buy this “long range” rifle once.

Given that I can steady my shots I would like to get 6 shots in a dollar bill at 300 yards, i.e. 5-6" groups.

doable with good ammo and the above mentioned rifles and optics

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    My Savage 12BVSS will put em in 1 hole at 100yrds all day. Only thing I'm not wild about is the gynormous stock on it. Will eventually swap it out for something more practical.

Top Bottom