Wanting to buy new Laptop but need help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    In the market for a new laptop but having trouble finding one with everything I want on it between the price range of $500-$700

Requirements:
    Hdmi
    Card Reader
    Bluetooth
    4gb ram at least and upgradeable to 6-8gb
    320-500Gig hard drive

I have been looking at these 2 but when I search the processor it comes up saying ( The microprocessor runs at 1.4 GHz, although the new Turbo core feature can boost this frequency to 2.3 GHz when some cores are non-operational) does that mean I wont get full potential of the processor?

Walmart.com: Toshiba Platinum 17.3" Satellite P775D-S7230 Laptop PC with AMD Quad-Core A6-3400M Accelerated Processor and Windows 7 Home Premium: Computers

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-L755D-S5204/16652446

I havent looked up any of the i3-i7 processors but they are new and seem to be in just about everything thats comming out. Are they any good? This computer will not be used for gaming at all. More for streaming movies to tv, internet, music, downloading etc.

Give me you input and links to other computers as well. I chose toshiba computers because I own one now and its been reliable for the most part but gettin old.

Thanks. :ingo:

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Between those two, the Toshiba will generally outperform the HP. The HP is faster at raw computational speed, but the AMD Quad Core is better at multitasking, and has a better graphics card, plus it has 6GB ram vs. 4GB ram. However, you can get a very similar laptop to the Toshiba at Fry's for $399, if you happen to be close to Indianapolis. The thing is, it's quite dependent on what you think you'll be using it for. The AMD processors in the Toshiba respond very well to overclocking, and you can make them exceed the Intel i5, and come darn close to the Intel i7, but from the sound of it, that may be more trouble than you would wish to go to. I bet there are folks on here that will have a better answer, but I'd pick the Toshiba between those two, but I think you can do better for less. Try looking at Slickdeals.net for comparisons of laptop deals out there right now.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    BEST BUY & OFFICE DEPOT

Definitely the most expensive options. Frys and Newegg are about the best on price. But to be honest, your best deal anymore is in a Dell. You will at least get support for awhile with the laptop.

But if you are computer savy than either of those should fit your bill.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Definitely give Fry's a look, as well as NewEgg and Tiger. Avoid Best Buy like the plague. They have a bad habit of opening their laptops and "optimising" them before purchase. They'll charge you for that, too. Add in the fact that the vast majority of their sales people know nothing about what their selling and you'll be a sad shopper in the end.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I just worked on a new toshiba it was $399, it had a numpad on it. not sure of model # or any of the specs. I got about 2.5 hours out of the battery(also burnt an iso to dvd)& using wireless, but I was copying all the data from the old computer over using the usb port. Overall it seemed to be a decent laptop. I would seriuosly look @ the dell.
    Here is what it really boils down to, what are you honestly going to be doing with it. most of the processor speeds out there you will not even touch unless you are doing phot,cad,or ripping music or movies.
    And get the most ram you can get in it, you will notice more about ram then processor speed.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    My experience with HP is not good. Power supplies are marginal,motherboards are notoriously undependable. Dells are riddled with cheap components-usually have hard drive issues.
    Compaq(I know they are owned by HP,but seem to have higher quality and better reliability) would be my recommendation.AMD processors have always outperformed Intels for me. I have not personally owned a Toshiba, but most customers have had favorable experience with them.:twocents: YMMV.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    HP Pavilion dv6t customizable Notebook PC

QA796AV

steel gray
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    2nd generation Intel(R) Dual Core(TM) i5-2410M (2.3 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 [HDMI, VGA]
    FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    FREE Upgrade to 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    No Additional Office Software
    $20 OFF! Norton Internet Security(TM) 2011 - 15 Month Subscription (activation required)
    6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 5.5 hours of battery life +++
    15.6" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366x768)
    SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
    HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
    Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R) with Wireless Display Support
    Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad
    HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

This is what I have put together so far. . .

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    i have a dv7t. LOVE IT.

main differences between what i have and that is i have the 17 in screen. 8GB ram, and 750GB HDD. Oh, and the 9 cell battery.

Picked it up from bestbuy for under 800, which was better than my employee purchase program pricing...told them i wanted a sealed box, I didnt want them touching it before me.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I don't know about their laptops, but my experience with HP desktops was not good. We had to send it back to HP twice in the first 3 months. They didn't fix the problem either time and we ended up getting it fixed at Office Depot for $40.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I don't know about their laptops, but my experience with HP desktops was not good. We had to send it back to HP twice in the first 3 months. They didn't fix the problem either time and we ended up getting it fixed at Office Depot for $40.

Personally, (i see about 30 pc's a week) I wouldn't buy anything but a HP. Ive seen dell hdd's crap within a month. toshiba's are notorious for screens going out, sonys are good, asus, lenovo, all good...acer is what it is, chea...but bang for the buck HP is the way to go. I havent had a problem with one.

and for what I do, i can't justify a 1200+ mac. the PC im replacing was new in 2004, and all thats been replaced on it was the RAM was upgraded. YMMV.

Top Bottom