• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    No thanks. When its so cold I might get frost bite on my special place when I have to tinkle, and/or the stream freezes before it hits the ground, I'm probably gonna stay home.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've been in below zero and negative 50 windchill thanks to the glory that is Ft. Riley and Ft. Leonard Wood, and it sucked. It certainly makes routine things a chore and chores a major undertaking. Negative sixty actual temp as a leg? Pass.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Guys. It ain't fun till your glove freezes to the side of your Bradley when you are fuelin! We never had it that cold but -25 + for sure. I was refueling my friendly neighborhood big green booger when an LT. decided to come out and talk with me. First he gets his on the fueling hose, soaking down his right hand and managing to spill diesel all down the side of the tank. Then he proceeds to go and lean on the tank up by the Drivers (My) compartment. Of course the glove freezes to the side of the vehicle. For the next three weeks everytime I see all my smart ### friends they wave at me, cause I am waving at them, with the glove frozen onto the side of the tank....

Good times but man once you have that immersive all over cold experience that only the Army seems to offer...

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    These sound ooooooohhhh so familiar. I spent three tours in Ft Drum NY, and it gets so cold, the JP-8 starts to gel. I can remember breaking the ice on the top of the water buffalo to allow the unfrozen water to drain.

Korea was a very close second when it got so cold, we would set heaters under the MKT to keep us from getting frost bite from cooking.

Would I ever do that stuff again? Not on your life. Will I ever forget it......not likely.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    I can remember it hitting -50 at Ft. Wainwright when we were deployed there for training one year. It's all about surviving at that point.

I saw it hit -50 there too. Honestly, past -20 below its all the same. The Army in Alaska does this kinda stuff all the time though.

Man the northern lights really seem to kick off when its cold like that...very cool.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I've been in below zero and negative 50 windchill thanks to the glory that is Ft. Riley and Ft. Leonard Wood, and it sucked. It certainly makes routine things a chore and chores a major undertaking. Negative sixty actual temp as a leg? Pass.

I spent some of the coldest nights I ever remember in the field at Ft. Riley Ks. I spent 18 months there and hated every second of it. The only place I have ever been where the wind never stops blowing.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Any place that experiences -60 isn't worth fighting for

I agree!

I think their logic is based on the idea that global warming is going to uncover the polar ice caps. They'll have to fight off the Ruskiesnow while it is still cold so it remains theirs when it becomes the next spring break hot spot.

Top Bottom