We determine what guns are legal for deer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    Alright everyone, I have a plan. But first let me clear something up for some people. Firearms restrictions for deer in Indiana have NOTHING to do with the land being flat, Its a left over conservation law to avoid over-harvest. The past few years, deer numbers have continued to grow despite our current hunting practices. That is why we are staring to see more and more rifle calibers being legalized for deer. That being said, if we sandbag the next couple years:laugh:, the deer population will sky rocket and we WILL see the legalization of "high power" rounds and possibly extended hunting seasons:D

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    guess you havent heard the growing grumblings of a fast disappearing herd due to the over abundance and usage of antlerless permits.

several polls show an average of 2/3 of responding Indiana hunters have seen/are seeing fewer deer, especially does, the past couple years

Dont let last years "record" harvest fool you. It was because of optimal weather, early removal removal of of Indiana corn crop leaving more deer exposed...NOT due to a record herd. IMHO of course. YMMV

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    one need look no farther than farm bureaus report on declining deer/ vehicle collisions to know the herd is shrinking

I could drive 4 miles into town, right now, and probably count 20 along the roadway, in just 2 fields that they seem to enjoy. I see them constantly, and don't see any decrease in the population. In fact, most guys I know that hunt generally only take 1, maybe 2, per year, because more than that is too much meat. I don't dispute farm bureau's report, but my dad hit one 3 weeks ago, and didn't even turn it in. The damage and the age of the truck were not worth the hassel. I think the population is holding steady in our area, especially with the coyote population.

But, I will say, I did sandbag this year. I did not even go deer hunting. But deer hunting for me is going out in the wood, throwing down my poncho liner, getting behind my shotgun which is resting on my assault pack, and throwing my old wool blanket over me. When I wake up, I shoot a couple of squirrels and take them home. The wife still thinks that deer only weigh 2lb's!:D

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In missouri the DNR just released mountain lions then deny deny deny..oops looks like we have an established lion population to control the deer herd...sound familiar?

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    what strikes me as odd is relatively low power rounds like the .223 and 7.62x39 are illegal to hunt with but the .458 socom (will punch through a cinder block wall) is legal.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    After reding numerous forum posts I have concluded that deer population numbers are high in some areas and low in others. My areas are in the low zone. I do know that Ohio, Il. and Iowa the kill is down. My guess In. will be.
    As far as rifles go....I could care less.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    We have seen a large decrease in car vs deer accidents this last season. At the start of season, I noticed a lot of deer but they seem to have gone missing. I also noticed that there seemed to be a higher number of bucks that are 8+ pts, they too have gone AWOL though.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Alright everyone, I have a plan. But first let me clear something up for some people. Firearms restrictions for deer in Indiana have NOTHING to do with the land being flat, Its a left over conservation law to avoid over-harvest. The past few years, deer numbers have continued to grow despite our current hunting practices. That is why we are staring to see more and more rifle calibers being legalized for deer. That being said, if we sandbag the next couple years:laugh:, the deer population will sky rocket and we WILL see the legalization of "high power" rounds and possibly extended hunting seasons:D

Not to start a big argument on this forum but I am a member on several outdoor forums. The vast majority on hunters are reporting a sharp decline in deer numbers statewide over the last few years. Very few areas show steady or any increase in herd size. This is taking into consideration 100's of report's from sportsmen across the state. Can you show us where a density report was done to prove there are more deer?? Like I said, I am not trying to start something but I am very curious who made a report like that.

Personally I could care less about high powered rifles and extended seasons. What I do care about is the states deer herd and its management. I have 4 kids that I want to be able to see hunt when they get older. If rifles were left out to establish and hold a healthy herd per your post, why would we want to "sandbag" to get them in just to eliminate more of the herd for the future generations?

Last edited:

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    what strikes me as odd is relatively low power rounds like the .223 and 7.62x39 are illegal to hunt with but the .458 socom (will punch through a cinder block wall) is legal.
    So I guess you have never shot a 7.62x39 at a cinder block wall:D I know this is beside the point but I have put a 7.62x39 through 4 truck rims an old 60's truck frame and an (empty) propane grill tank. Ahhh I love that round.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom