• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I think to many people aren't paying attention. If I'm justified to have my gun out I'm probably pointing it at u because where my eyes go so do the gun. Your gun is out people. Your eyes should absolutely be going where your gun is pointing. How does a light change this scenario to a negative? The only difference between a light and no light is you can PID ur target or a non combatant. You can identify whats in the hands or what isn't.

if I'm clearing a building numerous announcements have already been made. There are a few devices that let u run the hand held light like its attached to the weapon but imo a weapon mounted light is an absolute must for any true self defense firearm. Anyone who is having ND or whatever because of a weapon mounted light is a moron cause regardless your finger shouldn't be on the trigger. Training. Training. Training.

I have had the opportunity to train with some the best in the business and can't recall one who didnt run a weapon mounted light. If I'm clearing a building or a alley for a bad guy or a bump in the night it will be with both hands on my weapon and a light that can be easily activated if needed.

If your just curious about a noise whatever you should always have a hand held light with u. I carry 1 handheld plus the weapon mounted light. Use it to do ur normal tasks or explore but if your gun is justified in being out how does a weapon mounted light not make the absolute most sense. Gun owners confuse me everyday hahah. Since the early 2000's in the military lights have been attached to guns for a reason because it makes sense and is tactically sound. When we first started clearing buildings in Afghanistan and Iraq pre weapon mounted lights we duct taped maglites to our guns because it made a massive difference in our ability to be effective.

If you can't justify your gun being out then use the pocket light. If you can justify having your weapin out of the holster you can justify the light pointing at someone. Get training people. Not just flat range shooting. 3 demensional training that applies to the real world.
    Respectfully you’re missing the point. Carrying as a normal earth person you are not clearing a building the same way (if at all ) like a Military or LE. You point a gun at someone your not 110% sure and it’s witnessed you will have some explaining to do when the 50 come.

You can agree with me or not however I have worked in Military and Civilian LE of some capacity since 1986 and have seen the whole training evolution. Even LEOs are revising who and how they point firearms.

I will leave this with one other question. If someone you don’t know takes it upon himself to “clear” a building are you ok with them pointing a loaded gun at your kid, parent or significant other?

I sure am not!!!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Respectfully you’re missing the point. Carrying as a normal earth person you are not clearing a building the same way (if at all ) like a Military or LE. You point a gun at someone your not 110% sure and it’s witnessed you will have some explaining to do when the 50 come.

You can agree with me or not however I have worked in Military and Civilian LE of some capacity since 1986 and have seen the whole training evolution. Even LEOs are revising who and how they point firearms.

I will leave this with one other question. If someone you don’t know takes it upon himself to “clear” a building are you ok with them pointing a loaded gun at your kid, parent or significant other?

I sure am not!!!
    Respectfully I don't agree lol.

What are we even talking about then. What are u doing with ur gun out if your not sure about anything.. then u use ur pocket light. Pull it out do what u need to. But how the heck does this change you having a weapon mounted light. If your gun is out have a light on it. If you can't justify your gun out then use a pocket light and if your not smart enough to have both then do the best u can.

If your clearing a building as anyone. It better be for a real reason and even as a regular normal earth person it better be intentional and deliberate or else why the hell are u doing it. Been doing this work since 2000. If my freaking gun is out its for a damn reason. Maybe yall are reading into it differently. If my gun has come out what difference does the light make if a light is on it other than i have positive control of it and can clearly identify a threat or not. It Can be at the low ready or whatever.

Stop seeing stuff from only one perspective. Its all situationally dependent. Walking down a dark road with ur family (stupid to begin with) have ur pocket light. Random dude jumps out and starts acting crazy ur gun is probably coming out. Transition to both hands on The pistol and have the weapon light. U can be low ready ect and use the spill. Easily justified to the police if it turns out to be nothing.

Its just one more thing. I have done training involving every method of handheld lights. They all have the reason to do it this way or that way. Ohh hold it away from ur body in case they shoot at the light (never been documented to my knowledge) Or do this or that. Realistically u should be moving and thinking. Deciding on ur final action. Light discipline is key and in no sceanrio should u just be running around light engaged at all times.

Again this is all very scenario dependent imo. Every situation is different but in none of them is having a weapon mounted light a negative. Even if u have the hand held light and need to draw ur gun how does the light on the gun cause issue? Use ur hand held light and if no gun is needed it stays holstered. If the gun is needed, draw and do what u have too. when its stressful and u end up dropping ur hand held light (see it very often in real life training) u don't have to worry cause old faithful on ur gun is there and ready to step in.

All the concerns are dependent on some dummy carrying only a weapon mounted light instead of both hand held and WML . Thats the only real issue anyone can point at and honestly that's not an issue we can correct because this is a everyone wins society now. U showed up and u know best. Here is ur trophy. That is life anymore.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Respectfully I don't agree lol.

What are we even talking about then. What are u doing with ur gun out if your not sure about anything.. then u use ur pocket light. Pull it out do what u need to. But how the heck does this change you having a weapon mounted light. If your gun is out have a light on it. If you can't justify your gun out then use a pocket light and if your not smart enough to have both then do the best u can.

If your clearing a building as anyone. It better be for a real reason and even as a regular normal earth person it better be intentional and deliberate or else why the hell are u doing it. Been doing this work since 2000. If my freaking gun is out its for a damn reason. Maybe yall are reading into it differently. If my gun has come out what difference does the light make if a light is on it other than i have positive control of it and can clearly identify a threat or not. It Can be at the low ready or whatever.

Stop seeing stuff from only one perspective. Its all situationally dependent. Walking down a dark road with ur family (stupid to begin with) have ur pocket light. Random dude jumps out and starts acting crazy ur gun is probably coming out. Transition to both hands on The pistol and have the weapon light. U can be low ready ect and use the spill. Easily justified to the police if it turns out to be nothing.

Its just one more thing. I have done training involving every method of handheld lights. They all have the reason to do it this way or that way. Ohh hold it away from ur body in case they shoot at the light (never been documented to my knowledge) Or do this or that. Realistically u should be moving and thinking. Deciding on ur final action. Light discipline is key and in no sceanrio should u just be running around light engaged at all times.

Again this is all very scenario dependent imo. Every situation is different but in none of them is having a weapon mounted light a negative. Even if u have the hand held light and need to draw ur gun how does the light on the gun cause issue? Use ur hand held light and if no gun is needed it stays holstered. If the gun is needed, draw and do what u have too. when its stressful and u end up dropping ur hand held light (see it very often in real life training) u don't have to worry cause old faithful on ur gun is there and ready to step in.

All the concerns are dependent on some dummy carrying only a weapon mounted light instead of both hand held and WML . Thats the only real issue anyone can point at and honestly that's not an issue we can correct because this is an everyone wins society now. U showed up and u know best. Here is ur trophy. That is life anymore.
    Doing what since 2000 LE, Military or just carrying as John Public? There is a difference in What you can do and probabilities you will face.

In my prior post (before the last) I mentioned if you are searching with your handheld with your firearm in the holster and suddenly identify a threat that warrants drawing and have to shoot you don’t have the luxury of utilizing the WML so a Harries is better off anyway. (And dropping the handheld is t an option)

As far as searching with your firearm out folks say you can search with the light down yada yada. If you run any shoot houses at all you see LEOs and Civilians alike end up muzzling friendlies when they have to take that second look and point the light (muzzle) directly at the yet to be determined person OR they shoot without clearly identifying.
    There have been documented cases of officers shooting other officers. (Look up the Lafayette PD Officer getting **** in broad daylight over a dog in the house)

WML cause most folks to break the 4 safety rules time and time again. In the pre WNL days LEOs didn’t shoot as many of the wrong people as that have since.

And as relayed in my Range Master Instructor Development Course and I have seen it going this way when I retired. In the next 5 years you will se a LEO Prosecuted for pointing a firearm at someone they weren’t allowed to shoot.

As a Civilian you already can be!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom